FINAL predictions: MN-SEN
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:28:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  FINAL predictions: MN-SEN
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who will win?
Franken

Barkley

Coleman

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Author Topic: FINAL predictions: MN-SEN  (Read 4801 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 04:13:42 PM »

Coleman now up by 465.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 06:32:20 PM »

Does anybody knows what's going on here? Are they now done counting ballots?

Republicans seem supremely confident about holding this seat - Ensign has already congratuled Coleman.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008, 06:38:12 PM »

Republicans seem supremely confident about holding this seat - Ensign has already congratuled Coleman.

Ballot counting is done.  They're just relooking over the figures to see if everything matches, but I suspect that will be done by today.

Part of the problem with gaining in MN election recounts is that the ballots are all paper ballots.  So, a recount will consist of examining each paper ballot and making sure the intent is correctly done and then recalculating.

It is quite rare that this process results in any changes to the figures other than superficial ones.  Listen to what Franken says and you'll understand a bit more on the process.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2008, 06:58:48 PM »

Ballot counting is done.  They're just relooking over the figures to see if everything matches, but I suspect that will be done by today.

Part of the problem with gaining in MN election recounts is that the ballots are all paper ballots.  So, a recount will consist of examining each paper ballot and making sure the intent is correctly done and then recalculating.

It is quite rare that this process results in any changes to the figures other than superficial ones.  Listen to what Franken says and you'll understand a bit more on the process.
So it's over? I watched a clip from the Franken presser, but I didn't glean anything that was particularly enlightening.

All the absentee and military ballots have been counted? Is that possible?
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2008, 07:06:15 PM »

Coleman is headed for an extremely close victory.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2008, 07:28:15 PM »

So it's over? I watched a clip from the Franken presser, but I didn't glean anything that was particularly enlightening.

All the absentee and military ballots have been counted? Is that possible?

It's not over.  But the key point from Franken to watch is his spiel about "ballot irregularities" and about how hard it was to count votes that are not cast.

I'm not an expert in Minnesota election law - the stuff I'm telling you is gleaned from other reputable sites - however I would guess that Minnesota counts all their absentee ballots beforehand or the day of, but I suspect the number is quite low (with same-day voter registration and all).

The same is true with military ballots, even though they are allowed to be received after election day (but that would be very few in number and probably not favorable).

You see, I haven't heard any talk about new ballots coming into the mix from the newspaper sources, just recounts and checking the numbers, so I have to assume that these are the ballots with maybe an exception or two
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2008, 07:28:48 PM »

He's ahead 426 at the latest figure...

I don't think a recount will give Franken a victory... but Coleman has no right to be traipsing around like a slithering slimeball claiming victory.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2008, 07:39:28 PM »

On the bright side, the Secretary of State in MN is DFL. So at least we have that going for us.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2008, 07:42:36 PM »

He's ahead 426 at the latest figure...

I don't think a recount will give Franken a victory... but Coleman has no right to be traipsing around like a slithering slimeball claiming victory.

It's 477 at the SOS site and CNN.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2008, 08:04:15 PM »

does Minneapolis have its own Dean Logan that can 'find' some ballots?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2008, 08:16:30 PM »

MN may have as many as 6000 undervotes...

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=528866&catid=2

You must be logged in to read this quote.

still tough for Franken to make up the gap with that; he's down less than 500 now, which means assuming all of the 6000 are counted, he'd have to win by a decent amount (especially considering many of the votes won't be for either he or Franken).  FL 2000 once more, kids.

any absentee/military still hanging in the balance?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2008, 10:25:03 PM »

MN may have as many as 6000 undervotes...

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=528866&catid=2

You must be logged in to read this quote.

still tough for Franken to make up the gap with that; he's down less than 500 now, which means assuming all of the 6000 are counted, he'd have to win by a decent amount (especially considering many of the votes won't be for either he or Franken).  FL 2000 once more, kids.

any absentee/military still hanging in the balance?

Actually these undervotes probably favor Franken. See, once you insert your ballot into the counting machine, it either accepts it or lets you know there's an error, in which case you can either let the ballot count with the error an essentially cast a spoiled vote for that race, or have it returned, where it'll be shredded and you'll get a new ballot. The catch is that most people likely to choose the former are people who waited in long lines and just wanted to get out of there (This actually happened with the girl in front of me.). And we all know where the long lines were...
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2008, 10:26:43 PM »

Oooh... this is getting exciting. When do Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton arrive?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2008, 10:38:16 PM »

Oooh... this is getting exciting. When do Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton arrive?
Hopefully never.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2008, 11:46:32 PM »

Coleman: 43%
Franken: 42%
Barkley: 15%

What do y'all think?

Kudos on your prediction! Smiley