Philadelphia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:58:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Philadelphia
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Philadelphia  (Read 2983 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 04, 2008, 11:11:43 PM »

For the record, it's looking like Obama increased the Democratic margin of victory from Kerry here. Not trying to be a jerk about it. Just saying...
tokar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.87, S: -6.87

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 11:33:45 PM »

For the record, it's looking like Obama increased the Democratic margin of victory from Kerry here. Not trying to be a jerk about it. Just saying...

I am not surprised.

I was expecting this to happen.  I figured it would be Obama+60.  Turned out to be Obama+67, @83%.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 12:00:30 AM »

Over Kerry, yes.  I'm stunned at the margin in PA, however.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 12:34:08 AM »

Yep, quite an amazing accomplishment. I'm interested to see the ward breakdown.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 01:22:28 AM »
« Edited: November 05, 2008, 01:26:56 AM by ICE HOCKEY »

www.phillyelectionresults.com

Yes, I am happy that the "black penalty" was quite minimal in the Northeast and not too bad in South Philly.  That said McCain actually won a Ward this time- the 26th in South Philly: McCain 52- Obama 46.  Ok, it was McCain +6, I called McCain +10.  I really overestimated McCain this time.  I said it before- it always seems to look better for us in the end.  Others I called for McCain:

55th- Obama +17.  Not a typo. This Ward is one of only 2 with a GOP majority in registration.
64th- Obama +6
66th- Obama +7.75
63rd- Obama +4.5

My 56th Ward- Obama +19 and my division (precinct) went about the same.  In Fact, in 2004 my division went Kerry +12, giving a 7 point shift towards Obama!  Didn't think that would happen.

I think Montgomery and Delaware Counties also cracked the 60% for the 1st time ever with Chester actually voting for its 1st Democrat since LBJ in 1964!  If anyone has notices, the Obama "guns and religion" comments might have hurt us out Western PA, but we even picked up some counties in the center and held McCain in the 50s in Lancaster!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 02:05:14 PM »

Yes, I am happy that the "black penalty" was quite minimal in the Northeast and not too bad in South Philly.  That said McCain actually won a Ward this time- the 26th in South Philly: McCain 52- Obama 46.  Ok, it was McCain +6, I called McCain +10.  I really overestimated McCain this time.  I said it before- it always seems to look better for us in the end.  Others I called for McCain:

55th- Obama +17.  Not a typo. This Ward is one of only 2 with a GOP majority in registration.
64th- Obama +6
66th- Obama +7.75
63rd- Obama +4.5

My 56th Ward- Obama +19 and my division (precinct) went about the same.  In Fact, in 2004 my division went Kerry +12, giving a 7 point shift towards Obama!  Didn't think that would happen.

Whoa! The Commissioners backed down and decided to put the results online (for free)! Excellent!

Obama destroyed McCain in my ward. It looks like my division wasn't as bad as I thought (I said 55% for Obama but didn't factor in the third party vote. 52% to 46% - identical to the national total, I believe). It's really odd how my division is basically a mirror of the actual results in all of the races. I didn't think we were that much of a bellweather.

McCain did kick ass in the other divisions around me (65 - 1 and 2) and won 65 - 23 by a few points.

Obama winning the 66th the way he did is unreal. Same with the 57th. The 58th was actually kind of close which is weird.

TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 08:19:14 PM »

64th- Obama +6
66th- Obama +7.75
63rd- Obama +4.5

Whoa! The Commissioners backed down and decided to put the results online (for free)! Excellent!

Obama destroyed McCain in my ward. It looks like my division wasn't as bad as I thought (I said 55% for Obama but didn't factor in the third party vote. 52% to 46% - identical to the national total, I believe). It's really odd how my division is basically a mirror of the actual results in all of the races. I didn't think we were that much of a bellweather.

McCain did kick ass in the other divisions around me (65 - 1 and 2) and won 65 - 23 by a few points.

Obama winning the 66th the way he did is unreal. Same with the 57th. The 58th was actually kind of close which is weird.

I saw the 58th.  Yeah, that's a shock.  I thought that was solid Obama.  That and the northern parts of the 63rd are similar demographically.  I'm curious as to how the Fox Chase divisions did and they looked deep red compared to other areas of the NE from early judgement.

Then again I'm surprised (quite pleasantly) that the 26th and 64th weren't more for McCain.  sh**t I thought the 64th was a sure thing for McCain.  I was unsure of the 55th and 66th.

I know I've harped on this before, BUT I think the Biden selection as VP just might have had enough pull to swing the 64th and 66th to Obama   And this isn't just because I like him- he's been in our media market for a very long time and people have talked about him.  Side note- I think Biden also saved Paul Kanjorski's hide in the 11th as well. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies