my Northeast was angry last night, my friends
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:56:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  my Northeast was angry last night, my friends
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: my Northeast was angry last night, my friends  (Read 4371 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2008, 01:35:04 PM »

Vermont: 67%
Rhode Island: 63.3%
New York: 62.2%
Massachusetts: 62%
Connecticut: 60.2%
Maine: 58%
New Jersey: 56.7%
New Hampshire: 54.8%
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 01:40:36 PM »

Hell yes.

Also, can we please drop this "Northeastern liberals are secretly more racist than good-natured Southerners" crap? Yesterday, one region clearly proved it could look past race, and one region clearly proved that it could not.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 01:48:30 PM »

Hilariously, Obama actually carried Granby, by far the most Republican town in Vermont. This was the only town that voted for Rich Tarrant over Sanders in '06, and it voted against Leahy in '98 and '04 as he won <70% statewide both times.

Vermont really hates Republican Senators from Arizona...
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 01:58:49 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2008, 02:05:04 PM by Verily »

Were it not for Piscataquis County, Maine, Obama would have won every county in New England. I'm pretty shocked Essex County, Vermont swung as hard as it did.

New England is really evolving into a kind of modern version of the Solid South. It's hard to see how Republicans can retain their current Governorships and Senate seats in the region in the long term with no House seats at all in New England and sitting in a distant minority in all of the state legislatures (except maybe the Maine Senate; anyone have results for the election there?)

Edit: Well, the new Maine Senate looks to be 20-15 Democratic. Not awful for the Republicans, although it's a slide backwards from the previous 18-17 split.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 02:26:04 PM »

verily collins had a pretty convincing win in Maine but then again shes fairly moderate for the gop and from what i heard allen wasnt even trying that hard.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 03:28:31 PM »

Were it not for Piscataquis County, Maine, Obama would have won every county in New England. I'm pretty shocked Essex County, Vermont swung as hard as it did.

New England is really evolving into a kind of modern version of the Solid South. It's hard to see how Republicans can retain their current Governorships and Senate seats in the region in the long term with no House seats at all in New England and sitting in a distant minority in all of the state legislatures (except maybe the Maine Senate; anyone have results for the election there?)

Edit: Well, the new Maine Senate looks to be 20-15 Democratic. Not awful for the Republicans, although it's a slide backwards from the previous 18-17 split.

Not the current Republican party at least.

PA should be included in the Northeast's slapdown of the GOP...it was the Philly area that provided Obama's huge majority, even as McCain improved in the midwest-esque part of the state.
Jacobtm

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 04:22:54 PM »

Hell yes.

Also, can we please drop this "Northeastern liberals are secretly more racist than good-natured Southerners" crap? Yesterday, one region clearly proved it could look past race, and one region clearly proved that it could not.

Are you serious? Is a state that voted for George Bush over Al Gore and John Kerry racist when they give a higher% of their vote to the black Democrat than previous white Democrats?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 04:54:51 PM »

Not the current Republican party at least.

PA should be included in the Northeast's slapdown of the GOP...it was the Philly area that provided Obama's huge majority, even as McCain improved in the midwest-esque part of the state.

It actually wasn't too much worse than it was in 2000
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 07:39:45 PM »

it looks to me like obama under-performed out on long island.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 07:44:25 PM »

Hilariously, Obama actually carried Granby, by far the most Republican town in Vermont. This was the only town that voted for Rich Tarrant over Sanders in '06, and it voted against Leahy in '98 and '04 as he won <70% statewide both times.

Vermont really hates Republican Senators from Arizona...

Did McCain win any Vermont Towns?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 07:52:55 PM »

Not really.  Kerry won Nassau 52-47 and Suffolk 49-49 in 2004.  Obama took Nassau 53-46 and Suffolk 52-47.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 07:58:57 PM »

Not really.  Kerry won Nassau 52-47 and Suffolk 49-49 in 2004.  Obama took Nassau 53-46 and Suffolk 52-47.

i was expecting a bigger improvement on kerry's numbers.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 08:10:18 PM »

Yep I was surprised by Mccains performance in Long Island. Even though the country swung left, they stayed about the same from 2004.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 08:18:32 PM »

there are plenty of n-haters on LI, trust me.  plenty of Obama = terrorist Facebook statuses last night.

that and, keep in mind, McCain is a fundamentally better candidate for LI than Bush was ever.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 08:27:26 PM »

Well, Suffolk pretty much tracked the state swing.  New York went 59-40 Kerry in 2004 and 62-37 Obama this election - a net 6 point swing to Obama.  Suffolk went net 5 to Obama - not terribly out of line with the state.  Nassau was only net 2 - underperforming a little bit, but still an improvement.

Your problem is with Nassau County, not Suffolk.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 10:25:07 PM »

What amazes me is that New York's House delegation is now split 26-3.  Of course, if not for the whole NY-13 debacle it would have been 25-4.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 11:50:51 PM »

What amazes me is that New York's House delegation is now split 26-3.  Of course, if not for the whole NY-13 debacle it would have been 25-4.

You sure? Who are the 3 remaining NY House Republicans? I thought the remaining ones got wiped out this year (NY-13, NY-25, NY-29)?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 11:54:42 PM »

You sure? Who are the 3 remaining NY House Republicans? I thought the remaining ones got wiped out this year (NY-13, NY-25, NY-29)?

NY-3 (King), NY-23 (McHugh), NY-26 (Lee).  All of them are pretty safe.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 11:55:59 PM »

Oh yeah, totally forgot about Peter King out on Long Island. And that guy who used to head the NRCC in NY-26, right?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 11:58:11 PM »

Oh yeah, totally forgot about Peter King out on Long Island. And that guy who used to head the NRCC in NY-26, right?

Reynolds.  He retired this year and the GOP easily held the seat.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2008, 01:10:35 AM »

Until the newly Democratic State Senate, State Assembly and Governor (assuming Patterson is reelected in 2010) redistrict those Republican incumbents out of existence after 2010, leaving 1 or 2 districts statewide that a Republican might win.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2008, 01:18:47 AM »

Until the newly Democratic State Senate, State Assembly and Governor (assuming Patterson is reelected in 2010) redistrict those Republican incumbents out of existence after 2010, leaving 1 or 2 districts statewide that a Republican might win.

easier said than done, given geography and all.

keep in mind Staten Island may well flip at any moment.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2008, 02:20:36 AM »

easier said than done, given geography and all.

keep in mind Staten Island may well flip at any moment.

Put Lower Manhattan back in the Staten Island district, focusing on the Lower East Side - or better yet, split Staten Island into 2, one district moving up into Manhattan, the other into Brooklyn.  Problem solved - seats are safe Democrat.

Push King's district into Queens.  Make him face off against a Democrat incumbent on his turf (after all - NY is probably going to lose 2 seats).  Problem solved - King loses.  The rest of Long Island has been trending Democrat anyway, so giving a different Queens district some of Nassau probably wouldn't hurt.

Upstate would be a bit more difficult to carve up and avoid at least one Republican stronghold.  There are only 2 Republicans in Upstate districts anyway - one in the North Country, one in the Buffalo-Rochester suburbs.  Killing the North Country district would be tough - but carving up the other district might be possible.  More Buffalo, less suburbs.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies