What Should the Obama/Biden Administration's Top Priorities Be in 2009?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:15:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  What Should the Obama/Biden Administration's Top Priorities Be in 2009?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What Should the Obama/Biden Administration's Top Priorities Be in 2009?  (Read 1405 times)
Politico
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 08, 2008, 06:37:29 AM »

I look forward to hearing what all of you think the Obama/Biden Administration's top priorities should be in 2009. Here are my thoughts:

1) Sign an economic stimulus bill that is designed to increase consumer spending and confidence. Hopefully we have already reached the bottom of the economic cycle and another shot in the arm like this will provide the necessary boost to clearly move the trajectory of the economy upwards. We desperately need to remove the malaise that is plaguing the optimism of much of this country, so signing an economic stimulus bill like this on January 21, 2009, the day after inauguration, would be a great way to start things off and might be exactly what the American people need to believe things are going to get better from here on out.

2) Create an "Apollo Program" for energy and give it all of the attention and resources that were given to the Apollo Space Program in the 1960s. Like being the first to reach the moon, not losing that race to the Soviets, we must be the first superpower nation to achieve a reliance solely upon energy that is cheap, clean, abundant and domestic. Energy independence is the new great challenge of this chapter in American history, and must be achieved as quickly as possible or else our way of life will continue to be at risk, constantly under attack from foreign forces abroad.

3) Steadily withdraw troops and resources from Iraq, thereby moving more responsibility onto the Iraqi people. Divert resources and specialty troops to eastern Afghanistan, the central front of the war on terrorism. Destroying Bin Laden and Al Qaeda ought to be one of the administration's top foreign policy objectives. Continued support for covert operations against terrorism throughout the rest of the world must also remain in place with a particular emphasis on Iran, Syria and North Korea. Another top objective should be using strong diplomacy to improve relations with Russia. A strong Secretary of State, such as Richard Holbrooke, will go a long way towards achieving improved relations with Russia.

4) Eliminate inefficient government spending from the bottom-up and increase productivity with new technologies (i.e., take a scalpel to the budget). Along the way, increase efficient government spending from the bottom-up. Programs that work must continue to work. Programs that are not working must be eliminated or changed so that they do work. In other words, the government must become more efficient.

5) Convince a clear majority of Congress (i.e., at least 2/3rds - 290 in the House & 67 in the Senate) to pass a reasonable, pragmatic bill that would implement Obama's campaign promises on health care. This is a key priority that will help numerous businesses across America compete with companies abroad. Furthermore, it also will increase consumer spending in America by alleviating consumer fear of loss of health care, unexpected catastrophic health care bills, etc. The key argument must be that everybody ought to have the affordable option of being able to buy into the same program afforded to government employees.
MR maverick
MR politics
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 06:51:04 AM »

From the looks of it already he's going to be fighting with Polsi and Reed along with the republicans.

I hope Obama does not let them Jimmy carter him. Rambo was a good pick to help keep them at bay.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 07:45:41 AM »

Jimmy Carter's awful relations with the Congressional Democrats were entirely the fault of Carter and his cronies, their extremely arrogant attitude especially. If it eventually emerges that we can change "Carter" to "Obama", "O'Neill" to "Pelosi" and "Byrd" to "Reid" then it also be largely the fault of the Executive.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 11:31:12 AM »
« Edited: November 08, 2008, 11:34:53 AM by paul718 »

1)

Eliminate inefficient government spending from the bottom-up and increase productivity with new technologies (i.e., take a scalpel to the budget). Along the way, increase efficient government spending from the bottom-up. Programs that work must continue to work. Programs that are not working must be eliminated or changed so that they do work. In other words, the government must become more efficient.

2) An across the board tax cut including top marginal rates, dividends, corporate tax, cap gains.

3) Inititate legislation to amend the Presentment Clause of the Constitution so as to grant the President a line-item veto power.

Tongue
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 11:32:24 AM »

Politico, I completely agree with all five points.  But I would move number five to number two and switch number two to fifth.  

And if I were Obama, I would completely reject any artificial "first 100 days" constraints.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 04:05:49 PM »

Revival of the economy through spending on rebuilding our national infrastructure, and energy independence (with renewables and nuclear energy playing a key role).  The two are intimately intertwined, so they might as well go together. 

Universal health care and education should wait until after Obama wins a second term in 2012, assuming his first term is successful in accomplishing the first two key objectives.

Whatever happens, Obama should avoid making Carter's mistake in trying to accomplish everything at once in his first term. 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 04:30:40 PM »

1) Economic stimulus.

2) "Apollo Program" for Energy Independence

3) Universal Healthcare

4) Withdrawal from Iraq

5) Repealing Taft-Hartley Wink
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 05:55:15 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2008, 09:12:05 PM by The Vorlon »

1) Smoot-Hawley was so successfull last time it was tried, it should be modernized and brought back for 2009.

2) Restore taxes back to the levels that existed prior to Ronald Reagan.  The top 50% of wage earners currently only pay 97% of all Feberal Income taxes.  The bottom 3% clearly need more tax relief. 

3) We should talk with and actively engage the leadership of hostile regimes. It worked for Neville Chamberlain, it should work again.

4) Gut the Military - it worked for Carter, it can work again.

5) Embrace the United Nations - the have a proven record of acomplishment and fairness.  Perhaps we can get them to set up an Oil for Food program to encourage North Korea?
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 06:06:52 PM »

1) Health Care
2) Environment
3) Economy (this would benifit from the Environmental push)
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 06:29:55 PM »

3) Economy (this would benifit from the Environmental push)

I think I understand the argument how environmental policies can benefit the economy, but I'm not sure.  Can you give me an example?
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 06:39:18 PM »

1) the economy
2) alternative energy
3) the environment
4) health care