Where now for the GOP? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:05:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Where now for the GOP? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Where now for the GOP?  (Read 7964 times)
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« on: November 05, 2008, 06:27:04 PM »

Become the party of the "big tint" and kick the right wing bible thumping nuts out.

LOL
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 07:18:56 PM »

I think they should move in a more Libertarian direction. Moderate Libertarianism can work in this country.  Like Duke said, if we focus on curtailing spending and cutting taxes for the middle class we’ll go a long way to reforming. Social issues are a bit harder, and I don’t know how they should be addressed. I don’t think the party can afford a wishy washy approach to them, they need to really pick a side. Ideally I’d be in favor of downplaying social issues, but there’s no way that would work. So, I don’t know. Hopefully the Republican strategists are a good deal smarter then me, ha ha. But the focusing on responsible economics is a good start, I‘d say, if they can actually practice what they preach for a change.

If the GOP becomes Libertarian, where does The South/Religious/Populist/Other people go?

Unlike the guy who said "GOP should be a big tent, kick the religious conservatives out," the solution really is to have a big tent party.  The unifying message needs to be small government.  A key plank in the platform, recognized by Reagan, Fred Thompson, Ron Paul, and others, is federalism.  Religious conservatives are best served when Washington butts out of their business.  Most importantly, judges need to faithfully interpret the Constitution.  That by itself is reason for the Republican coalition to stick together.

The biggest challenge for Republicans is the dearth of effective communicators who will stand up and defend our beliefs.  I think the Bush presidency is one cause for this, as Bush himself is neither eloquent nor ideologically consistent.  Also, members of the party have been been muted in their criticism, for understandable reasons.  But above all, we need advocates who can build the party rather than Rovian tacticians who can find 51% of the vote in a given election.
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 02:23:49 AM »

I like the Democratic principle of big government, but I can't stand Social Liberalism. I am not sure where to venture, And I don't wanna be under Obama's banner either.

I feel for you.  The Democratic Party, which used to occupy that ground, moved out from under you.  Since there are only 2 viable parties, I guess the primaries become more important for you.  Do like the Ron Paul supporters and try to take over a party? Smiley
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 02:37:24 AM »

We didn't lose this election because of the Religious Right or our social conservative roots. It's seems like I'll be arguing against the idea that that cost us the election for awhile now but oh well.

I think we need a clean sweep when it comes to the "leadership" in Congress. We need fresh faces, not a mad dash to the left.

We lost because of the economic crisis. There was little we can do to stop it so let's stop thinking that we have to dump what we believe in (especially on social issues) because of a bad loss.

All that being said, I'm still sticking with the idea of taking a serious chill pill for awhile. Obviously, the leadership elections in Congress can't just be put on hold but everything else should wait a few months.

The problem for the GOP is widespread right now.  The hard line social conservatism has turned off so many moderate Republicans and Republican leaning Independents from the ranks (especially among suburban voters).  No question the economic crisis hurt McCain and the Republicans big time, but I think the current crisis was the tipping point for many of these voters who were already unhappy with the direction of the party, and already moving away from the party. 

I disagree with your premise.  GOP candidates are a good fit for most of their districts on the social side, and a lot of Dems are actually way out in left field compared to their constituents.  "The hard line social conservatism" is largely a caricature, and the GOP would lose rather than gain voters (yes, also in the suburbs) by sidelining social conservatives.  The GOP absolutely loses in framing the debate.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies