Where now for the GOP? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:32:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Where now for the GOP? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Where now for the GOP?  (Read 7960 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: November 05, 2008, 06:49:12 PM »

I think they should move in a more Libertarian direction. Moderate Libertarianism can work in this country.  Like Duke said, if we focus on curtailing spending and cutting taxes for the middle class we’ll go a long way to reforming. Social issues are a bit harder, and I don’t know how they should be addressed. I don’t think the party can afford a wishy washy approach to them, they need to really pick a side. Ideally I’d be in favor of downplaying social issues, but there’s no way that would work. So, I don’t know. Hopefully the Republican strategists are a good deal smarter then me, ha ha. But the focusing on responsible economics is a good start, I‘d say, if they can actually practice what they preach for a change.

Welcome to the club. Smiley

Anyway, I agree that the GOP needs to become more libertarian. Social conservatism is by its very nature a declining sum. Societies become freer & more equal, not the other way around. Fundamentalism is no longer a winning proposition in the United States.

There's enough of them for a party to remain fairly large but that isn't what we want. If the Republicans become our electoral version of the LibDems, who is going to be the major party that stands up to the Democrats?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 09:48:39 PM »

Pretty much. Unfortunately, Supersoulty & his ilk are fighting a losing battle. I guess I'm not helping by jumping ship & joining the Libertarians. Embarrassed

With that much said though, I still will generally support the Lincoln Republican. It's only the modern theocon that I refuse to lend my support to. Hopefully others will join me in supporting Libertarian candidates against them.

Maybe if enough theocons go down in defeat due to large numbers of GOPers voting Libertarian, they'll get the message that we are not to be trifled with. If they don't get the message, I'll be a card-carrying Libertarian for a very long time to come. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies