does Barack Obama believe in the divinity of Christ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:32:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  does Barack Obama believe in the divinity of Christ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: does Barack Obama believe in the divinity of Christ?
yes (D)

no (D)

yes (R)

no (R)

yes (I/O)

no (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: does Barack Obama believe in the divinity of Christ?  (Read 10069 times)
Mr.Jones
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2008, 09:12:41 PM »

He is most probably an atheist. Although he most probably believes in a little bit of Christianity. And being an atheist is absolutely great. We dont need more religious crap, and those centuries of brainwashing stories any more. We need a President that will rule by justice and fairness, not based on religious ideas. I say this now and I will say it again and again "Die religion die".
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2008, 09:32:59 PM »

When running for office he has, quite clearly, indicated that he's a believing Christian in ways that other believing Christians were obviously supposed to, er, "get", even if other people don't. If that was at all fraudulent (and I don't think it is), then he's a fraud, a monster and the worst sort of cynic.

if it were 'fraudulent' I am completely confident that he would not be alone in fabricating religious belief for political expediency - and by far not the worst offender.

Well, obviously. Wasn't there some joke of an Atlanta-Mushroom-Burbia Republican Congresscritter who could only name three of the Ten Commandments [qm].
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2008, 09:48:29 PM »

And do you base this on anymore than the fact that you supported him (you obviously aren't old enough to vote yet) and are clearly a secularist bigot [qm].

As a general principle, I agree with you. But if I candidate makes a big deal of his stated religious beliefs, then I think that whether they're telling the truth or not matters a great deal, because the sort of person who would invent a religious element to themselves and sell it as part of their electoral appeal is the sort of narrow-headed sociopath that should be kept from holding office at all costs.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2008, 10:01:22 PM »

Barry O'Bama sounds like an Irish Catholic name, so I'm guessing yes... is he related to JFK perhaps?

Seriously, though, there should not be a religiousness test in determining someone's ability to run for office. Likewise, I thought it disgusting the way the media attacked Palin for her religious beliefs over the last couple of months. It bears no relevance on the Presidency/Vice Presidency and shouldn't enter the equation and anyone who attacked Palin on her religious beliefs is no better than that chap from VA-05.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2008, 02:32:34 AM »

yes (R), but why does this matter?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2008, 02:39:56 AM »

You are getting so reasonable in your old-age
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2008, 02:41:06 AM »

I always would've said that.  I yelled at my rommate for once making the statement that he'd vote for a Christian first and then look at their stance on the issues.  And please, don't call me old!!!!
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2008, 02:44:38 AM »

I always would've said that.  I yelled at my rommate for once making the statement that he'd vote for a Christian first and then look at their stance on the issues.  And please, don't call me old!!!!

It's a compliment inksy.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2008, 05:48:10 AM »

He is most probably an atheist. Although he most probably believes in a little bit of Christianity. And being an atheist is absolutely great. We dont need more religious crap, and those centuries of brainwashing stories any more. We need a President that will rule by justice and fairness, not based on religious ideas. I say this now and I will say it again and again "Die religion die".

It's good to see the atheists upholding logic consistence and rationality.

As an aside, what is your ideas of "justice" and "fairness" based on? Sounds like fairy tale nonsense to me...
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2008, 12:27:22 PM »

so you take one guy's moronic opinion and label it as "the atheists" "upholding logic consistence and rationality?"  how is that fair?

imagine if I took the words of David Duke and said "it's good to see the Christians upholding compassion and rationality!!"  how would that be received?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2008, 01:40:05 PM »

so you take one guy's moronic opinion and label it as "the atheists" "upholding logic consistence and rationality?"  how is that fair?

imagine if I took the words of David Duke and said "it's good to see the Christians upholding compassion and rationality!!"  how would that be received?

If you were debating with David Duke directly and he said "I'm a Christian and I hate atheists because they are not compassionate and rational" I wouldn't have a problem with you citing an example of how he is not those things and using the above line. I don't think a lot of rational people would.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2008, 01:49:50 PM »

If you were debating with David Duke directly and he said "I'm a Christian and I hate atheists because they are not compassionate and rational" I wouldn't have a problem with you citing an example of how he is not those things and using the above line. I don't think a lot of rational people would.

why bring into it, all of the atheists?  why not just states, "it's good to see an atheist..." rather than "it's good to see the atheists..."? 
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2008, 01:53:56 PM »

Several of our Presidents did not believe in the divinity of Jesus. John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, John Quincy Adams, William Howard Taft... Not one of them believed in Jesus' divinity.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2008, 02:09:25 PM »

why bring into it, all of the atheists?  why not just states, "it's good to see an atheist..." rather than "it's good to see the atheists..."? 

You must have grown thin-skinned from all your controversies today. I had already posted an answer to another stupid atheist in this thread and had read other posts that were border-line. So I used the plural somewhat subconsciously. In the context "the atheists" must not be interpreted as "all atheists". It's like when you say "the cavalry has arrived!" you don't necessarily mean all the cavalry in the world, you know?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2008, 02:20:09 PM »

You must have grown thin-skinned from all your controversies today. I had already posted an answer to another stupid atheist in this thread and had read other posts that were border-line. So I used the plural somewhat subconsciously. In the context "the atheists" must not be interpreted as "all atheists". It's like when you say "the cavalry has arrived!" you don't necessarily mean all the cavalry in the world, you know?

it really isn't, but ok.  I'm not saying your wording was intentionally malicious, but simply, unnecessary.  if I had said something such as "the Christians" in an inverted context I am sure I would have been jumped all over and labeled an overgeneralizing bigot.  such is the nature of the universe, I suppose.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2008, 07:49:18 PM »

Several of our Presidents did not believe in the divinity of Jesus. John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, John Quincy Adams, William Howard Taft... Not one of them believed in Jesus' divinity.

The relevant point being that you know that because of their writings, not because of some poll question directed to geeks who have nothing better to do on a Saturday night than answer it.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2008, 08:22:52 AM »

it really isn't, but ok.  I'm not saying your wording was intentionally malicious, but simply, unnecessary.  if I had said something such as "the Christians" in an inverted context I am sure I would have been jumped all over and labeled an overgeneralizing bigot.  such is the nature of the universe, I suppose.

In a similar context to this one, I wouldn't have, that's all I can say.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies