The Choice of Rahm Emanuel is a declaration of war on Republicans (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:39:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  The Choice of Rahm Emanuel is a declaration of war on Republicans (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Choice of Rahm Emanuel is a declaration of war on Republicans  (Read 9936 times)
Wakie
YaBB God

« on: November 06, 2008, 09:21:52 AM »

The most partisan member of Congress for Chief of Staff?

If I had $1 for every time I heard a Republican charge that a Democrat was "the most liberal" or "the most partisan" member of Congress I would be a very rich man.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So Andy Card was essentially "running the US government"?  Or was Scooter Libby running it from the VP Chief of Staff office?

Hmm ... what do you think ... there will be redistricting?  Or maybe there will be an attempt to do away with the filibuster?  Or maybe judges who Congress has rejected will be appointed during vacation periods.

Boy, it must really stink to have to worry that the other side will do to you exactly what you did to them.

LOL ... you're basing this outlandish statement on who he picked as CoS???  48 hours after the election and you're already condemning him.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 08:54:34 AM »

But if you had a dollar for every Democrat I had named most partisan, you'd only have one dollar, wouldn't you?

I can honestly say I haven't read every one of your posts and even if I had I doubt I'd remember every detail.  But I can speak in generalities regarding things I've heard before from conservatives.  And frankly during this election cycle some conservatives called Obama "the most liberal member of Congress" only a few months after they called Hillary the same thing and only 4 years after they called John Kerry the same thing.  The point is, charging someone as "the most" whatever has become a tired and old charge.

Considering that we're less than 100 hrs removed from the election and you aren't an insider to the Obama camp I think it is ridiculous for you to say that you know how strong or weak of a CoS Emanuel will be.

And here you admit that how much power a CoS has is dependent on the President.  As Obama is not yet in office and you're not part of his inner circle I think you're not qualified to say how much power he will give to his CoS.

A selection of a CoS is a "first step in a plan to exact revenge out of pure bitterness"?  Are you next going to say there is a vast left-wing conspiracy??

I can honestly say I have no idea if Obama and the Dem Congress plan on "exacting revenge".  My bet is that they will not (because doing so will ensure they lose office in the next 2-4 years and politicians care MOST about staying in office).

I think it is telling though that Republicans are afraid that Democrats will do the same things which THEY did while THEY were in office.  It more or less tells you that Republicans were knowingly acting improperly and sometimes to the detriment of the nation.  Yeah, I just can't wait to return someone like THAT to power.

LOL ... you're basing this outlandish statement on who he picked as CoS???  48 hours after the election and you're already condemning him.
[/quote]

You clearly don't get how important the Chief of Staff is.  With the exception of GW Bush's administration and the first half of the Carter administration, the Chief of Staff is basically co-President.
[/quote]

Do you really think any of Bill Clinton's CoS's were "co-President"??  Do you think Alexander Haig was co-President for Nixon??

As you've pointed out, the CoS's power is largely dependent on the President.  I think it is too early for you to say that Obama will just be a yes man for his CoS.  And for my 2 cents, Obama doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who will just say yes to whatever one of his people tells him. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies