Fox News: Sarah Palin didn't know Africa was a Continent
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 02:59:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Fox News: Sarah Palin didn't know Africa was a Continent
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Fox News: Sarah Palin didn't know Africa was a Continent  (Read 16560 times)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2008, 04:05:59 PM »
« edited: November 06, 2008, 04:07:39 PM by Mr. London/Essex »

Can we just talk about the wet hair and towel thingie? 

Not entirely unprecedented if true- Churchill held a meeting with Roosevelt while the former was in the bath.

Suspect this whole knowledge thing is a smear more than anything.

Anyway, I don't know the members of NAFTA.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2008, 04:21:59 PM »

her attractiveness createred along with her approval ratings
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2008, 04:48:49 PM »

Can you believe that sizeable portion of the GOP wants her as their nominee in 2012? How scary is that?

Yeah, even more delusional than Democrats who wanted to nominate Mondale after the 1980 meltdown. Let's hope Republicans nominate Palin. It would look kind of neat seeing the whole continental US one color with Ted Stevens' Alaska a big gray for too-close-to-call.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2008, 04:56:43 PM »
« Edited: November 06, 2008, 05:09:44 PM by Politico »

With regards to whether or not Palin did McCain in, the economy and the Bush record did them in. There is likely no way any Republican could have fared much better against this environment/Obama. Maybe Palin cost McCain a point or two; who knows? Either way, I do not think it's fair for anybody to try to blame this loss on Palin because it was McCain's pick, not Palin's pick. I actually feel a tad bad for her and hope she continues to stick to Alaskan politics.
MR maverick
MR politics
United States

« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2008, 08:02:23 PM »

With regards to whether or not Palin did McCain in, the economy and the Bush record did them in. There is likely no way any Republican could have fared much better against this environment/Obama. Maybe Palin cost McCain a point or two; who knows? Either way, I do not think it's fair for anybody to try to blame this loss on Palin because it was McCain's pick, not Palin's pick. I actually feel a tad bad for her and hope she continues to stick to Alaskan politics.

I disagree.

It took McCain strongest weapon off the table.   

If you can't pin Obama as a inexperienced rookie during hard times, what more do you have?

I know many of you are smart enough to point out that during hard times as a country we have took chances FDR and Reagan come to mind.  I think this election was different, had Obama looked weak during the meltdown and didn't proform during those debates, its good chance he would have lost.

Just think maybe Reagan wouldn't have beat Carter until that debate 4 days before the election.

The point Iam making is that in some elections there are "tipping points" that sometimes decide the outcome. Eventhough I said McCain would win ( Just because I couldn't bet against 43 white presidents) ,however  I saw Obamas lead in the polls stabilize, and knew that it was turning into a route IF race wasn't a factor.

Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2008, 08:22:27 PM »

Palin doesn't explain the >10% margins in PA, NM, NV, and NH.  And that, fundamentally, was what decided the election.

The worrying thing about the clip was that Palin didn't get any interview prep before the Couric interview---which a horrible problem with the campaign's handling of her.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2008, 08:23:34 PM »
« Edited: November 06, 2008, 08:25:08 PM by paul718 »

The point Iam making is that in some elections there are "tipping points" that sometimes decide the outcome. Eventhough I said McCain would win ( Just because I couldn't bet against 43 white presidents) ,however  I saw Obamas lead in the polls stabilize, and knew that it was turning into a route IF race wasn't a factor.

I feel like every one of your posts involves race somehow.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2008, 09:41:20 PM »

Fox, love em' or hate em', they are not a bunch of idiots... They see the writing on the wall and are trying to avoid this train wreck prior to 2012.
MR maverick
MR politics
United States

« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2008, 10:26:28 PM »

I feel like every one of your posts involves race somehow.

I have always felt Obama SHOULD have won, I just was not going to bet against the past 200 years of white presidents.. nothing racial about it.

Just fact.

Sorry if iam honest in my views.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2008, 10:50:36 PM »

People on the forum attacked me when I initially suggested that Palin might lack knowledge of some national and international issues (I initially gave the far more reasonable items of the difference between Sunnis and Shi'ites and Biden's plan of dividing Iraq into three countries).

Some of this is surely finger-pointing and sniping, but I feel vindicated (with Palin's initial shutout from the press the Couric interview confirming).

Not this particular poster. I had an open mind as to whether she would be a quick study or not, but well, that question was answered rather early on, wasn't it?  She doesn't like to do her homework, and it might have been futile anyway.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2008, 10:51:49 PM »

Palin didn't make McCain lose the election.

But still, yikes.

She was something of a drag in my area of the world, but it was not decisive. McCain's shortcomings were more decisive.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2008, 10:23:59 AM »

Not entirely unprecedented if true- Churchill held a meeting with Roosevelt while the former was in the bath.

LBJ had conferences while on the toilet.  Roll Eyes
elcorazon

« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2008, 10:55:50 AM »

Palin doesn't explain the >10% margins in PA, NM, NV, and NH.  And that, fundamentally, was what decided the election.

The worrying thing about the clip was that Palin didn't get any interview prep before the Couric interview---which a horrible problem with the campaign's handling of her.
she might explain those margins.  The moderates in those states lost respect for McCain's judgment both because of her inexperience and because they perceived her as too far right.  Those states all are beginning to lean dem and would vote for moderate (maverick?) republicans, but not for idealogs, particularly who are incompetent.

McCain's choice revealed to many his own lack of control of the campaign and it's direction.  Even if they used to see him as a maverick, they no longer did once he picked Palin.

McCain MAY have lost anyway, but Palin was a MAJOR drag on him and made the result inevitable.

Wright opened the door to an Obama defeat.
Palin closed that door.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2008, 12:23:28 PM »

Palin's inexperience maybe. Palin herself, not so sure.

I'd say that this is possibly a smear attempt on Palin- whoever did it doesn't have the courage to go on the record, that's for sure.

I can buy the towel thing, though. Considering Palin's past, she's probably not uncomfortable being in a state of undress around strange men.

Of course, the Democrats did nominate Mondale in 1984...
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2008, 01:06:36 PM »

McCain's choice revealed to many his own lack of control of the campaign and it's direction.  Even if they used to see him as a maverick, they no longer did once he picked Palin.

McCain MAY have lost anyway, but Palin was a MAJOR drag on him and made the result inevitable.

Palin closed that door.

Palin was chosen on the domestic energy production issue.  Probably the one domestic issue McCain would be able to hammer Obama on.  Sure enough, the credit crisis hit, demand decreased, oil prices fell, gas prices fell, and energy production  beacame less of an issue.  Had this not happened, I think the Palin choice would be looked at differently.  Though I agree it was a bad choice, I don't think it showed any lack of control by McCain.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2008, 04:17:31 PM »

LBJ was famous for holding his first morning briefing while he moved his bowels...with the stall door open.  He hated wasting time.

The Palin thing, if true, is just bad judgment on her part.  She dressed smart -- stylish, but not slutty.  So I presume this is just as you suggest.

Still...I hope no one minds if I dwell on it a moment...    ::: faraway smile :::
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2008, 05:29:46 PM »

Palin closed that door.

Palin was chosen on the domestic energy production issue.  Probably the one domestic issue McCain would be able to hammer Obama on.  Sure enough, the credit crisis hit, demand decreased, oil prices fell, gas prices fell, and energy production  beacame less of an issue.  Had this not happened, I think the Palin choice would be looked at differently.  Though I agree it was a bad choice, I don't think it showed any lack of control by McCain.

It was a gamble.  McCain broke up a pair of tens to draw to inside straight; he drew a third ten.

Obama had eights over aces.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2008, 06:34:51 PM »

Palin closed that door.

It was a gamble.  McCain broke up a pair of tens to draw to inside straight; he drew a third ten.

You need to find new things to say.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2008, 08:49:42 PM »

Palin didn't make McCain lose the election.

But still, yikes.

She was something of a drag in my area of the world, but it was not decisive. McCain's shortcomings were more decisive.

Yeah but I really cannot come with any reason besides Palin why Mccain couldn't even win those precincts in Irvine north of the 5. She really hurt Mccain a lot in south OC, basically the tech areas. Mccain held up just fine around Villa park and Yorba linda. Old money I presume.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2008, 10:39:47 PM »

Palin closed that door.

You need to find new things to say.

No, the truth never changes.  McCain gambled and lost.
Andrew
United States

« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2008, 12:50:03 AM »

But, to believe she didn't know Africa was a continent...come on.  That's a little far fetched, even for Sarah.
"Africa is a nation that suffers from incredible disease."--George W. Bush, June 14, 2001
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2008, 11:16:03 PM »

Yikes, I was initially very skeptical of this story.  But Palin's attempt to "deny" this has me thinking twice:

http://community.adn.com/adn/node/134161

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The "continent vs. the country" of Africa?  Does she think it's like Australia?

paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2008, 11:33:33 PM »

From what I understand, this all stems from her debate prep when she misspoke, referring to "the country of Africa" as opposed to "the continent of Africa".  She misspoke.  Just like when McCain referred to the Czech Republic as "Czechoslovakia", or when Joe Biden referred to "jobs" as a 3-letter word.

I wasn't happy with the Palin pick but superficial Palin-bashing is played out.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2008, 11:37:56 PM »

That doesn't sound right since my understanding was that the whole dealio involved South Africa's status as a province or state.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2008, 12:09:32 AM »

No, not enough. 

This is a scary woman.  It's one thing to be power-hungry.  She's power-hungry and STUPID. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies