"Cordell for President" - Political Story (COMMENTS WELCOME)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 08:50:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  "Cordell for President" - Political Story (COMMENTS WELCOME)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: "Cordell for President" - Political Story (COMMENTS WELCOME)  (Read 20605 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2008, 02:43:59 AM »
« edited: November 08, 2008, 02:57:45 AM by Reaganfan »

SCENE STARTS: MID-APRIL, A BUZZING CAMPAIGN OFFICE WITH "CORDELL" SIGNS ON THE WALLS, PHONES RINGING, PAPERS ALL OVER DESKS, SHIFT INSIDE TO A CLOSED CONFERENCE ROOM FILLED WITH PEOPLE AROUND A TABLE, GOVERNOR JOHN CORDELL STANDS AT THE FRONT OF THE TABLE, SUIT JACKET OFF, BLUE TIE LOOSENED, SLEEVES ROLLED UP

Cordell: Okay folks, here's the gameplan. We have gotten way beyond the delegates we need for this nomination. Harris is out of the picture, they're already writing his political obituary.
Staffer: Yes sir...it's almost as if he wanted to lose.
Cordell: (BRIEFLY LOOKS AT STAFFER DUMBFOUNDED THEN CONTINUES) I want to start building a ground game that Reagan and Obama put together wouldn't be able to beat!
Woman Staffer: Governor, we have offices opened in 42 states...we have thousands of volunteers...we're ready to take this head-on.
Cordell: Look, about six and a half years ago...I was running ahead of that jerk-off Stan Burchwood by 10 points...we had more supporters on the stump, more signs, more enthusiasm...and I barely knocked his ass off. I don't want to get cocky about this thing...but I want us to take Jack Iverson out...not by 295 electoral votes...not by 350...I wanna see Iverson lose everything...everywhere...I wanna see that concession speech given as we sweep 50 states.
Staffer: Governor...I find it hard to believe a 50-state sweep is possible.
Cordell: Why is that? I mean...we'll take Oklahoma....we'll take North Carolina...we'll take Ohio and good ole' Tennessee. We will even take Hank Quinn's homestate!
Staffer: Utah won't just go for them because the Vice President lives there...Utah hasn't voted Democratic in 68 years...Lyndon Johnson vs. Barry Goldwater.
Cordell: Sonny boy...you don't quite understand me. I have a certain way of connecting with your average voter in Oklahoma...in Texas...in Iowa and Georgia. I said months ago I would win this nomination and I have...and I WILL win this election...a year from now I'm gonna be runnin' the show in Washington and all those conservative bastards who have been runnin' Capitol Hill for a decade will have to answer to ME.

SILENCE FOR A FEW MOMENTS

Cordell: Who's hungry? Jenny ordered a big ole' party-sized sandwich from Subway...let's eat!

SCENE SHIFTS - TWO DAYS LATER - BASEBALL DIAMOND AT A PARK IN OKLAHOMA, CORDELL'S NOW 11-YEAR OLD DAUGHTER ASHLEY PLAYS BASEBALL AND GOVERNOR CORDELL STANDS BEHIND THE FENCE WITH A BASEBALL CAP ON, HOLDING A CAN OF COKE. WIFE LESLIE STANDS AT SIDE.

Cordell: HEY BATTER-BATTER-BATTER! SWING...BATTER-BATTER-BATTER!
Leslie: Oh John would you please stop! (chuckles)
Cordell:That wasn't what you said last night!
Leslie: I wasn't with you last night, John.
Cordell: (TAKEN BACK) No...I know...it was an expression.

LESLIE EYES CORDELL FOR A MOMENT SUSPICIOUSLY

Leslie: I'm gonna go get a corn dog. You want one?
Cordell: Nah I'm good, honey.

LESLIE WALKS AWAY LEAVING CORDELL STANDING AWKWARD. HIS DAUGHTER HITS THE BALL AND THE SOUND OF THE BAT ECHOES THROUGHOUT THE PARK.

END SCENE

GOVERNOR'S MANSION - OKLAHOMA, THREE DAYS LATER - Governor Cordell sits as his desk going through papers, and spots an issue of the "New York Times" with headline that reads, "CORDELL ON TRACK FOR NOMINATION". Cordell reclines in his office chair and pulls a cigar out of his suit pocket.

Just then there is a knock at the door.

Cordell: Come in.

A staffer, mid-30s, male, short brown hair, wearing a "CORDELL FOR PRESIDENT" button, walks in the office.

Cordell: How may I help you Mister...
Knox: Knox...Steve Knox. I'm a staffer at your Oklahoma campaign office.
Cordell: Nice to meet you, Steve...I appreciate the work you are doing for the campaign.
Knox: Thank you sir. I just came by to drop off a detailed report on the state of our campaign and the current management of our offices and staff.
Cordell: (cigar clenched in teeth) Ah-ha...and how does it look?
Knox: Strong, sir, strong. But...we have to decide whether or not we want to have regional headquarters or statewide offices.
Cordell: Statewide for sure...I don't wanna pull any of that regional sh*t in an election this important.
Knox: (light laugh) Yes sir...I understand how important this election is.
Cordell: (a brief deep thought) Steve, may I ask you something?
Knox: Yes, sir.
Cordell: Why did you decide to get involved in our campaign? I mean...why not jump onto Harris' ship? HELL...why not vote for the President? (Laughs)
Knox: (brief thought) Not to sound corny sir...but when I look at you...I see a remarkable leader. I see a country that isn't waist deep in sh*t, if you'll pardon the expression.
Cordell: Of course.
Knox: I see a country where unemployment is at a record low. I see a country where the rich don't get richer and the people who do the hard work are rewarded. I see a country where we don't fight with our enemies...we make peace with them. Sir...I see this country being led by you...I see you in the White House changing America for the good of the people. That's why I didn't join the Harris campaign...and that's why I'm not voting for four more years of the same, sir.
Cordell: (long pause as Cordell puffs on his cigar) Steve Knox....
Knox: Yes, Governor?
Cordell: How would you like to work under me?
Knox: What do you mean "under" you, sir?
Cordell: I mean I take you to every event...I mean I have you at my disposal whenever and wherever...I mean you become my go-to guy.
Knox: Sir...you barely know me.
Cordell: Steve...I know you more in these last five minutes then I know friends who I met 20 years ago. I can see it in your eyes...you have what it takes to be just what I need at my side.
Knox: (enthusiastically) Oh...wow...absolutely sir....I...It would be an honor.
Cordell: You have a girlfriend?
Knox: Well...there was this one girl...but it was a party 2 months ago...
Cordell: Nevermind...nevermind...I'll take care of that for you...go home...pack a bag...come back here tomorrow at 10am sharp....we'll catch a plane ride to Missouri for an event tomorrow.
Knox: Sir...I don't know what to say....
Cordell: Just say "I'll see you tomorrow, Governor."
Knox: Well...I'll see you tomorrow, Governor.
Cordell: Good man.

SCENE ENDS
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2008, 02:57:04 AM »

Cordell sounds like a mean, whorish Obama.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2008, 06:13:58 AM »

That's the point.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2008, 04:18:23 AM »

Naso, what happens next?Huh  I'm really liking this (do you take that as a compliment coming from a fan of NBC's hit daytime drama Passions?)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2008, 09:50:53 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2008, 09:59:17 PM by Reaganfan »

NEWSREPORT BEGINS

Reporter: With the Democratic National Convention just a little over two months away, presumptive Democratic Nominee Governor John Cordell has been stumping all across the country, rallying hard against the current administration, and promising a "wave of new leadership" if he is elected this fall.
Cordell: (on stump) AND I ASK TO YOU...DO YOU HONESTLY WANT FOUR MORE YEARS OF IVERSON AND QUINN? 
Crowd: (NO!)
Cordell: WELL THEN IT'S TIME FOR TRUE LEADERSHIP...IT'S TIME FOR US TO TAKE OUR COUNTRY BACK ON THE RIGHT PATH!
Reporter: Cordell continues to trail President Iverson by double digits...but the crowds he has been recieving on the stump are getting bigger and bigger. Whether that is because he is now the presumptive nominee...or whether enthusiasm is building...only one can speculate.

(TV TURNS OFF) SHIFT TO CABIN IN OKLAHOMA, GOVERNOR CORDELL AND HIS WIFE LESLIE LAYING IN BED.

Cordell: Hey honey...
Leslie: Yeah?
Cordell: I met with a staffer yesterday...young guy...named Steve Knox.
Leslie: What about him?
Cordell: He was sent over by the Oklahoma office to deliver campaign sh*t...and his enthusiasm caught my attention.
Leslie: Enthusiasm?
Cordell: Nah...Nah...that's the wrong word. His...his....determination.
Leslie: So what did you do?
Cordell: I basically made him my Karl Rove.
Leslie: (sits up in bed) Oh John...why would you do that? I mean...you meet him once and make him your personal secretary?
Cordell: He's not my SECRETARY...he's my go-to guy.
Leslie: But you barely know him!
Cordell: Baby...I didn't need to know him...I could just tell by talking to him...he's got what it takes.
Leslie: Well...if you say so...I guess your instincts should be trusted considering you made it all the way to this nomination.
Cordell: Baby.. .trust me.

END SCENE

OPEN - LATE MAY - OKLAHOMA CITY CAMPAIGN HEADQUARTERS - INSIDE A ROOM, GOVERNOR CORDELL, STEVEN KNOX AND FEMALE STAFFER, JESSICA NORRIS (BLONDE, EARLY 20s) SIT AROUND A CONFERENCE TABLE, A SLIDESHOW IS ON THE WALL. GOVERNOR CORDELL LIGHTS UP A BIG CIGAR

Cordell: Okay guys and girls...what's my current scenario?
Knox: Want me to shoot you straight?
Cordell: Always.
Knox: A massive electoral loss.

(CORDELL LEANS FORWARD, PUFFS ON CIGAR)

Cordell: How?
Knox: Iverson is kicking our ass in ad buys...he already has that "Pride" ad on the airwaves...
Cordell: Yeah yeah that "I'm the f***ing President..and I love America" bullsh*t"
Knox: Sir...to be quite frank about it...the American people aren't buying into our message. The Iverson/Quinn administration has made a big issue of national security ever since the thwarted attack last year, and quite frankly...people like you...they admire your style...but unless the winds shift...we're gonna lose this thing.
Cordell: Jessica?
Norris: Yes sir?
Cordell: What's your take?
Norris: We need to press harder. We need massive ad buys...bigger rallies...more of them...we need to look stronger on defense.
Cordell: So what...what....do I need to go walk around on an aircraft carrier in a flight suit or jump into a tank with a dopey fuc*ing helmet on or something? COME ON GUYS! (Laughs and puffs on cigar) I'm the Democratic nominee for President of the United States...I just beat Greg Harris who was only bound to be President for the last ten fuc*ing years...and it's like I don't even exist...the media ignores me.

LONG PAUSE IN ROOM

Cordell: I have to go meet a staffer from the North Carolina office.

SCENE SHIFTS TO CORDELL LAYING IN BED NEXT TO 40-SOMETHING YEAR OLD WOMAN AS SHE LITES UP A CIGARETTE

Cordell: So honey...do you think we'll win North Carolina?
Woman: You bet, Mr. Governor.

END SCENE
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2008, 09:59:28 PM »

I just got it!  This is an updated Primary Colors, right?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2008, 10:03:32 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2008, 02:59:46 AM by Reaganfan »

During my Christmas break from my Freshman year of High School in December 2003, I came up with a movie story plot. It followed the 2000-like close election of Governor Jack Iverson (in my mind, Mel Gibson) against Senator Chris Moon (in my mind, Nick Nolte). The Senator begins to have a vendetta against the new President-elect, that turns near-fatal.

This "Cordell for President" story is sort of a spin-off of that plot. I'm thinking of maybe starting that other story.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2008, 03:30:30 AM »

SCENE OPENS AT CAMPAIGN PRESS BRIEFING, GREENSBORO, NORTH CAROLINA. GOVERNOR CORDELL IS FINISHING TAKING QUESTIONS

Reporter: Governor, the Democratic National Convention is July 5-9th, just a few weeks away. Have you given any thought on a running mate?
Cordell: (chuckles) Of course I've given it thought. I'm not gonna tell you who I am considering other than to say there are many fine potential candidates for the job.
Reporter: ONE NAME, PLEASE, GOVERNOR?
Cordell: Alright...alright...I think...um...Senator Harris...he was a worthy opponent...he's a contender. Anyways...that's all for me...I'm spent. Thank you all.

SCENE SHIFTS TO NEXT ROOM FOLLOWING PRESS CONFERENCE. GOVERNOR CORDELL GRABS A BOTTLED WATER OFF TABLE, STEVE KNOX LOOKS AT HIS BLACKBERRY.

Knox: Are you really considering Harris?
Cordell: Oh please, Steve. (CORDELL TAKES HUGE SWIG OF WATER) I pulled that one outta my ass.
Knox: Have you given it any thought at all?
Cordell: Governor Bob Newhart? Senator Freddy Kruger? Who the hell knows...I haven't really I guess. Steve...would you get together a long list that we can cut down to a short list?
Knox: I can have it by Wednesday.
Cordell: Awesome. (Takes another swig of water)

SCENE SHIFTS TO OUTDOOR BBQ WITH GOVERNOR CORDELL, NOW 11 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER ASHLEY, AND WIFE LESLIE SITTING AT A PICNIC BENCH. CORDELL WORKS THE GRILL.

Cordell: Burgers are almost ready, Les.
Leslie: I want a braut.
Cordell: I'm having both...and a hot dog...and some chips...and honey can you grab me a Coke?

(Ashley chuckles as she plays with the family black lab, Smokey)

Cordell: (as he bites hot dog with mouth full) What? What? What did I say?
Leslie: (chuckles) What would have happened if President William Howard Taft were elected today?
Cordell: I don't know, what?
Leslie: He wouldn't have been. (ASHLEY AND LESLIE LAUGH)
Cordell: What...you sayin' I'm a porker?
Leslie: I'm saying...get into shape, babe. You could be the most powerful man in the world in just over five months.
Cordell: In just over five months I'll be the "most powerful man in the world-ELECT".
Leslie: Babe...you're one in a million.
Cordell: So are you, darling.

SCENE SHIFTS TO GOVERNOR CORDELL GETTING DRESSED IN HIS OFFICE AFTER SLEEPING WITH HIS SECRETARY, VICTORIA NEIL.

Victoria: Hey baby?
Cordell: Yeah?
Victoria: I've already picked out the dress I'm gonna wear for our White House wedding.
Cordell: (rolls his eyes) Oh yeah, that's great...
Victoria: What's wrong?
Cordell: What's wrong is I am in the process of picking a f***ing running mate and trying to beat an incumbant jackass this November and the last thing I need to f***ing hear is "oh will you marry me at the White House".

VICTORIA LOOKS SAD AND SHOCKED.

Cordell: (SHOUTING) Jesus f***ing Christ, Victoria! Take a chill pill!

VICTORIA BEGINS CRYING AND CORDELL GETS ON HIS KNEES AND LEANS NEXT TO HER.

Cordell: Look baby....look...I'm sorry. I care about you. It's just...well...I'm married...and now that I'm running for President...I can't do anything risky...I mean it's risky enough meeting you every week to have sex. You know Iverson probably has every one of his f***ing guys out there trying to nail me on something. Don't be planning a "wedding" with me when I'm married with children and the Democratic Nominee for President.
Victoria: (SMUG LOOK) Well then maybe I'll go to the press and ruin your chances.

CORDELL SUDDENLY ANGERLY PUSHES VICTORIA BACK AGAINST THE DESK

Cordell: NOW YOU LISTEN TO ME YOU SELFISH BITCH...I CAN'T HAVE THIS FAIRY TALE PRINCESS BULLS**T WHEN I AM RISKING EVERYTHING JUST TO COME AND SEE YOU. I COULD BE THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES IN JUST A FEW MONTHS...AND YOU...YOU WANT TO TAKE ME DOWN JUST BECAUSE YOU WANNA MARRY ME? YOU LEAK ONE WORD TO THE PRESS AND I WILL BOOK YOU FOR A LONG STAY AT THE MOTEL DEEP SIX....YOU GOT THAT GIRL?
Victoria: I...
Cordell: What?
Victoria: I...I love you, John.
Cordell: (frustrated and underbreath) Oh Jesus Christ...
Victoria: I think of you everyday...I wanna be with you forever...
Cordell: Oh Jesus Christ...
Victoria: I wanna have a nice White House wedding...and...and be the First Lady and...I want us to be happy.
Cordell: OF ALL THE SECRETARY'S I COULD HAVE NAILED....I HAD TO F*** THE CRAZY BITCH!
Victoria: I wanna be a good mom for little Ashley....
Cordell: What? You gonna boil her rabbit?
Victoria: John...we can be together.
Cordell: You're a nut.
Victoria: I love you, John!

CORDELL LEAVES OFFICE.

END SCENE

SCENE OPENS WITH GOVERNOR CORDELL SLAMMING A NEWSPAPER ON HIS DESK THAT READS "CORDELL NEARING VEEP CHOICE". CORDELL AND KNOX STAND IN GOVERNOR'S OFFICE.

Cordell: The funny thing is...I'm not nearing my choice. What's my long list, Steve?
Knox: Well sir, we have-
Cordell: Wait...Steve...sit down...would you like a cigar?
Knox: No thanks, sir...I'm not a fan of big tabacco.
Cordell: (laughs) Don't tell the base...but I am.
Knox: (laughs)
Cordell: Okay, so who we got?
Knox: Let's start at the bottom and work our way up....Congressman Hal Nedler of Kentucky.
Cordell: Who the f*** is he?
Knox: Moving on...Frm. Secretary of State Louise Gentaro.
Cordell: Nah, nah...a Secretary of State who served under an unpopular one-term Democrat four years ago? I'm not going for anyone from the previous administrations...I'm going all fresh.
Knox: If fresh is the key...how about Senator Andrew Pershing of Maine?
Cordell: Are you serious?
Knox: Don't like the tax evasion?
Cordell: Next...
Knox: Governor Vince Slade of Michigan?
Cordell: HOLD THE PHONE! Vince Slade? Governor of Michigan?
Knox: That's the one...
Cordell: That guy is a bright star in the Democratic Party...I had the opportunity to meet him a few months back at the National Governor's Association meeting and man...he is articulate, young, dynamic...he electrifies every room he walks in. Any skeletons?
Knox: Nope...none that I could find. He's 46 years old...he has served six years as Governor of Michigan...before that he spent two years in the House....he has a centrist Democratic voting record in Congress...and he holds approval ratings in the all-important state of Michigan around 75%. He was re-elected two years ago with 61% of the vote. He's actually a pretty decent pick, in my opinion.
Cordell: Put him on the short list. Who else we got?
Knox: Congresswoman Helen Adams, Florida's favorite house member.
Cordell: Hmmm...I don't know what good a 71 year old DINO will do me...
Knox: Senator Rich Fielding of New Hampshire.
Cordell: There's a good choice.
Knox: Served two terms in the Senate, two in the House...55 years old and a nice family.
Cordell: Add him.
Knox: How about Nevada Governor Tom Fine?
Cordell: Met him once...really nice guy. Centrist too...pro-gun...he'd help the ticket alot. Infact...a Cordell/Fine ticket might be mighty fine, if I don't say so myself.
Knox: Fine has two terms as Nevada Governor under his belt, and he has approval ratings through the roof in that state. He's one reason why Iverson didn't win Nevada last time.
Cordell: Put Governor Fine on the list for sure...he's a talented guy.
Knox: The final big name....Senator Karl Mantrose of Minnesota.
Cordell: OH MAN!
Knox: 50 years old, two terms in the Senate, elected massively both times in the President's homestate...very popular...
Cordell: His record is liberal as hell...they'll kill me on that.
Knox: Knockin' off Iverson's homestate would be one hell of a thing, wouldn't it, sir?
Cordell: I could see puttin' Mantrose on there...the only thing is the guy can be a bit arrogant.
Knox: No offense sir...but so can you.
Cordell: (laughs) Yes...you're right about that. Put him down on the short list, too.
Knox: Got it.
Cordell: I'm out of here...I have to go hit the can.

END SCENE
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2008, 02:27:02 PM »

Lay off the sex scenes a little.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2008, 06:32:53 PM »

I'm extremely sorry for the verbal adult onslaught that this story has entrusted onto our forum, but I feel that the verbal text, while sometimes adult oriented, is critical to the flow of the plot of this story.

Any other opinions on this story so far? I'm really wondering if I should spin-off the "Iverson" story that gave me the idea for this.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2008, 06:49:19 PM »

Uh...we're dealing with Mike Naso here.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2008, 06:53:43 PM »

Oh...I'm sorry, Phil. Let me add in this paragraph:

Newspaper headline reads "PA SENATOR IN HOT WATER OVER BEASTIALITY".

That better for you? It is a story...and I am insulted that people would make fun of me for writing it.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2008, 09:38:18 PM »

That better for you? It is a story...and I am insulted that people would make fun of me for writing it.

Hey - I'm freaking pumped for this thing.  It's the first thing I check when I come on here (got my hopes up when I saw you had posted something new just now).  No matte what anybody else says, I like it.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2008, 11:34:17 PM »

I actually didn't make fun of you, dude... As someone with a degree in screenwriting (as well as film direction and acting), I was offering some honest critique work. Like I said, you've got to learn industry standard, and the easiest way is to download a program or to go on the internet and read screenplays which are formatted. It'll help you.

Also, as I said, the story is still rather spasmodic. They are short, and some of them would be cut completely in RL, such as the recent BBQ scene. You've got to focus on creating coherent characters and settings, and until you can at least do that, it's difficult for me to read. I like your enthusiasm for it, I like the effort, and there have been a couple good moments... Build on that, and what I told you, and it'll make for a more compelling story.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2008, 12:21:03 AM »

I actually didn't make fun of you, dude... As someone with a degree in screenwriting (as well as film direction and acting), I was offering some honest critique work. Like I said, you've got to learn industry standard, and the easiest way is to download a program or to go on the internet and read screenplays which are formatted. It'll help you.

Also, as I said, the story is still rather spasmodic. They are short, and some of them would be cut completely in RL, such as the recent BBQ scene. You've got to focus on creating coherent characters and settings, and until you can at least do that, it's difficult for me to read. I like your enthusiasm for it, I like the effort, and there have been a couple good moments... Build on that, and what I told you, and it'll make for a more compelling story.

What do you feel have been the story's best moments?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2008, 12:43:28 AM »

What do you feel have been the story's best moments?

The last scene you wrote seemed to me a bit more thought out, Lose the part about going to the bathroom. also, the lead in to that scene was a poor choice... Never shoot from a sex scene to a scene like that, because it would probably throw viewer emotions off. Viewers need a gradual cool down. You portray Cordell very sympathetically, and to shoot to something where he seems ruthless again would just turn an audience off.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2008, 01:22:13 AM »

I'm extremely sorry for the verbal adult onslaught that this story has entrusted onto our forum, but I feel that the verbal text, while sometimes adult oriented, is critical to the flow of the plot of this story.

I can understand that it can be meaningful for character development, but it's not really necessary after the first few times, I think. Perhaps intersperse them more.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2008, 08:17:16 PM »

You know, it stretches belief that he's having that many different affairs.  If he was just carrying on with his secretary, fine, but Presidential candidates are trailed almost full time, and presumptive nominees have Secret Service protection.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2008, 09:37:13 PM »

You know, it stretches belief that he's having that many different affairs.  If he was just carrying on with his secretary, fine, but Presidential candidates are trailed almost full time, and presumptive nominees have Secret Service protection.

Only the secretary, really. He had a one-night stand with that North Carolina staffer, and had a one-night stand with the chick in the beginning of the story.

Trust me...the story will have much deeper a plot once the main election gets underway.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2008, 06:22:10 AM »
« Edited: November 30, 2008, 08:14:04 PM by Reaganfan »

SCENE OPENS AT RALLY IN CLEVELAND, TENNESSEE, MID-JUNE, SUNNY AND HOT OUTSIDE. GOVERNOR CORDELL STANDS AT THE MICROPHONE, SLEEVES ROLLED UP, RED TIE LOOSENED. STEVE KNOX STANDS PATIENTLY ON THE SIDE OF THE STAGE, HOLDING A BLACKBERRY WHICH HE OCCASIONALLY LOOKS AT. A CROWD OF ABOUT 10,000 CHEER CORDELL ON.

Cordell: Ya know folks, it has been nearly 50 years now and Republicans still try to push forward their agenda...and you all know what it is. Cut taxes on the wealthy and HOPE that some sucess trickles it's way down...
Crowd: (BOOs)
Cordell: They call it "trickle-down economics"...and for a while it looked like we had finally gotten rid of it. But low and behold...here come Iverson and Quinn who decide "I don't wanna cut taxes for middle America...I wanna make the rich even RICHER!"
Crowd: (BOOs)
Cordell: Well it's high time for us to say NO THANKS, MR. PRESIDENT...WE'RE GONNA DO IT OUR WAY!

CROWD ERUPTS INTO CHEERS. STEVE KNOX GETS A MESSAGE ON HIS CELL PHONE THAT READS, "New National Poll shows Cordell and Iverson in dead heat." KNOX SMILES.

SCENE SHIFTS TO ROOM SET UP BEHIND STAGE, AIR CONDITIONING, WATER AND SNACKS SET UP. CORDELL, DRIPPING WITH SWEAT, GRABS A BOTTLE OF WATER. KNOX WALKS IN THE ROOM.

Cordell: Steve....Steve my boy! What's going on?
Knox: Great news, sir...new poll shows us tied nationally 45-45.
Cordell: HOT DAMN THAT IS GREAT!
Knox: I say if we hold this, gain on it through the running mate announcements and the convention...we'll go into the fall really strong.
Cordell: But remember, Steve...the Republican Convention is August 30th till September 3rd...that means Iverson could sweep away our gains by mid-September.
Knox: Not if we build an insurmountable lead, sir.

CORDELL AND KNOX EYE EACHOTHER.

Cordell: Well then let's get on the ball, Steve my man!
Knox: YES SIR!

END SCENE

SHIFT TO CAMPAIGN HEADQUARTERS CONFERENCE ROOM, ATLANTA, GEORGIA CAMPAIGN OFFICE. CORDELL, KNOX, JESSICA NORRIS AND OTHER STAFFERS SIT AROUND A LONG TABLE. A POSSIBLE ELECTORAL MAP FROM THE POLLS HANGS ON THE WALL.

Cordell: Okay folks, I have a rally here in Atlanta in three hours, so let's get down to business. Steve?
Knox: Running mate?
Cordell: I've narrowed it down to four. Senator Mantrose, Governor Fine, Governor Slade, and one that I looked into a bit but isn't really talked about...Governor Les Dunham of Iowa.
Knox: Les Dunham?
Cordell: Yep. The guy is 60 years old but looks ten years younger, he has a lovely wife Natalie and three daughters, he served a term in the Iowa State Senate, then a term in the House, then two terms in the House of Representatives, then was elected Governor and was re-elected massively two years ago. He has a centrist record, and quite frankly...I believe that with him on the ticket we can really nail down the Midwest.
Norris: Sir?
Cordell: Yes, Jessica?
Norris: Wouldn't you rather have someone more well-known, like Senator Harris or Mantrose?
Cordell: No way on Harris...Mantrose I can see...but Harris is out of the question. The guy will bring all that New England baggage...and quite frankly I don't even think I want any Senators on the ticket.
Knox: Why not, sir?
Cordell: Because we need to change Washington by being outsiders. I know...I know...every President says that he was an outsider-
Knox: ...but it doesn't work.
Cordell: (chuckles) It's horses*it.
Knox: (LAUGHS)
Cordell: The point is...if I put a Senator or a Congressman on the ticket...I bring insider stuff into the new administration and I don't want that.
Knox: So Governors...Dunham, Slade and Fine?
Cordell: Keep Mantrose on the list...but yeah...it's pretty much those four.
Norris: And sir, when should we have a decision?
Cordell: I say...a week before the Convention.
Knox: Got it.

KNOX GETS UP AND LEAVES, JESSICA NORRIS AND CORDELL REMAIN

Norris: I have to say, Governor Cordell, I am a bit surprised that you don't want to strengthen your foreign policy credentials by putting a Senator on the ticket.
Cordell: Well, Jessica, I just feel that it adds too much baggage. The American people have a short fuse when it comes to Washington Insiders and even if it's only the Vice Presidency...once that fuse is lit...the whole administration becomes an insider's deal. You know what I mean?
Norris: I guess so.
Cordell: We need to make everything fresh, efficent and workable.

END SCENE

OPEN SCENE IN WHITE HOUSE. PRESIDENT IVERSON, VICE PRESIDENT QUINN, AND REPUBLICAN SENATE MAJORITY LEADER TOM REMINGTON OF OHIO STAND AROUND THE OVAL OFFICE COUCHES. PRESIDENT IVERSON HOLDS A FOLDER IN THE AIR.

Iverson: Our internal polling is collapsing.
Quinn: What do you mean, Mr. President?
Iverson: I mean...we're falling everywhere. We're trailing in Ohio, we're trailing in Michigan, we're tied in Florida...it's a mess.
Remington: Mr. President...I can damn well assure you that our Congressional and Senatorial candidates are strong as ever.
Iverson: I believe you on that, Senator...but Hank and I need to stay in four more years...otherwise every conservative proposal this administration has put into effect will be set back.
Quinn: Mr. President, we need to fight more aggressively. I'll go to multipule campaign events each day if I have to...
Iverson: I guess I COULD campaign a bit harder...Bill, I guess...wait...where the hell is Bill?
Remington: He isn't here, sir.
Iverson: See...how the hell can I run a campaign when my own campaign advisor isn't even here. (PRESIDENT IVERSON PRESSES PHONE BUTTON) Susan?
Susan (Through Phone): Yes, Mr. President?
Iverson: Get Bill Thomas in here as soon as possible.
Susan (Through Phone): Yes, Mr. President.
Iverson: (Looks at Quinn and Remington) Don't worry guys...I'll fight hard.
Quinn: YOU are the one that doesn't have to worry, Mr. President. I'm willing to bet that we will not only win, but I think it's gonna be a landslide in the end.
Remington: I agree, Mr. President.
Iverson: Ah, well, I guess we'll see. Senator, Mr. Vice President, it was nice seeing you guys and it's good to hear the Senate is moving smoothly on our legislation.
Remington: Good day, Mr. President.
Quinn: Take care, Mr. President.

SENATOR REMINGTON AND VICE PRESIDENT QUINN LEAVE, PRESIDENT IVERSON STANDS DEEP IN THOUGHT IN THE OVAL OFFICE.

END SCENE
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2008, 10:26:25 AM »

What's with the map?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2008, 01:39:08 PM »

SENATOR REMINGTON AND VICE PRESIDENT QUINN LEAVE, PRESIDENT IVERSON STANDS DEEP IN THOUGHT IN THE OVAL OFFICE.

END SCENE

I hate you, Naso.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2008, 05:25:22 PM »

What do you mean?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2008, 05:25:58 PM »

Don't play dumb. It's the picture. You know what I mean.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2008, 05:33:55 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2008, 05:45:15 PM by Reaganfan »

If you think that picture of President Iverson is your face, you are wrong. I wanted to capture a middle-aged guy, so I used a random google image:
http://stage15.com/images/neil2.jpg
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies