What do you think of the new governors?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:31:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What do you think of the new governors?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What do you think of the new governors?  (Read 2473 times)
BM
BeccaM
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2008, 12:35:56 AM »

Only 3 this time.

Jack Markell (D-DE), Jay Nixon (D-MO), and Bev Perdue (D-NC)

The only one I'm really interested in is Perdue, just because she's the first female governor there and some sources have touted her as a potential woman for future national tickets.  I don't know if I'd go that far based on what I've seen from her, but we'll see. I think she was lucky to have Obama's coattails to latch on to.

Wish Dino Rossi was a part of this group. I was looking forward to see what he could accomplish.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 12:41:37 AM »

Wish Dino Rossi was a part of this group. I was looking forward to see what he could accomplish.

Gross.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 01:13:08 AM »

Sad
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 02:29:33 AM »

I was rooting for Rossi.  Might not have voted for him, but it'd be nice to have some life injected into the GOP.  Who knows, if he had won he might have been the best candidate to make 2012 come down to the wire.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 02:39:48 AM »

Yeah, that's why I was pulling for him. I don't know enough about Washington politics to really have a firm stance, but it would have been nice for the GOP to have SOMETHING to be pleased with, and it would have been a nice conclusion to the drama involved.

New blood is always nice to see in state and local politics.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 08:03:58 AM »

I was rooting for Markell in the primary, because he's been a staunch advocate of Delaware's offshore wind farm project. I'm hoping he governs as well as he campaigns.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 02:56:45 PM »

I discovered last week that a college friend's father was actually a colleague of Perdue's in the NC state legislature. From what I've heard, she's apparently a bit of an idiot.
Jeff from NC
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 11:35:40 PM »

I discovered last week that a college friend's father was actually a colleague of Perdue's in the NC state legislature. From what I've heard, she's apparently a bit of an idiot.

She's somewhat of a 'good ol boy,' and is from the fairly corrupt democratic establishment in NC.  Despite my party affiliation, I voted for McCrory, who has been an effective mayor of Charlotte (if a little too pro-development) and brought the city mass transportation over the opposition of the right wing in that city.
Daniel Z
Switzerland

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 11:46:09 PM »

Only 3 this time.

Rossi's defeat was the single most satisfying part of this election. If Republicans want to win here then they should run decent candidates.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 11:11:24 AM »

Only 3 this time.

Rossi's defeat was the single most satisfying part of this election. If Republicans want to win here then they should run decent candidates.

Rossi wasn't decent? LOL
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 04:09:05 PM »
« Edited: November 11, 2008, 04:10:54 PM by BeccaM »

The fact that he came close twice (well, one more than the other) in a state that hasn't had a Republican governor since 1985 says otherwise.  I'd argue that he could have won with Obama out of the picture.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 04:59:37 PM »

No joke. I'm really sorry North Carolina didn't have enough sense to elect McCrory, who's done a great job as the Charlotte mayor and isn't a far right wing nut. I've heard Perdue is a bit of a loose cannon. Oh well. This is why South Carolina > North Carolina.
Daniel Z
Switzerland

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 05:22:56 PM »

Only 3 this time.

Rossi wasn't decent? LOL
Obviously not compared to Gregoire Smiley
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 05:24:38 PM »

I saw Perdue give a speech on CSPAN and she came off a little.....insane.  In the middle of her nonsensical ramblings, she'd randomly shriek "CHANGE!" and all of the other Obama catchphrases.  It was borderline disturbing and I feel sorry for NC if that particular speech was an accurate representation of her as a politician and human being.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 06:00:01 PM »

Perdue certainly has a future on the national stage. As a Democrat female she'll face no heat from the press. If she was a Republican female OTOH..........
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 06:19:05 PM »

Perdue certainly has a future on the national stage. As a Democrat female she'll face no heat from the press. If she was a Republican female OTOH..........
Hillary Clinton didn't face any heat from the press? ROFL
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 07:23:13 PM »

Did you watch the treatment of Hillary during the Presidential campaign at all?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcdnlNZg2iM (9:03 minutes)

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2008, 07:49:26 PM »

Kind of hilarious coming from you. I'm pretty sure that you were one of the types (typical forum Obama supporter) who threw a fit everytime Hillary complained about "taking heat" from the press, brushing it all of like it was nothing.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2008, 09:13:01 PM »

Kind of hilarious coming from you. I'm pretty sure that you were one of the types (typical forum Obama supporter) who threw a fit everytime Hillary complained about "taking heat" from the press, brushing it all of like it was nothing.
If I did, which I don't remember doing, but whatever, it would be because she was whining about being attacked. That's annoying and makes you look like a crybaby. But I don't think anyone can deny that the right-wing media has been out to get Clinton since 1992.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 02:19:04 AM »

I'm not quite sure what you were so excited to see Dino Rossi "accomplish". His platform was basically firing half of the state government and blocking anything the Legislature tried to do.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 02:24:39 AM »

If I did, which I don't remember doing, but whatever, it would be because she was whining about being attacked. That's annoying and makes you look like a crybaby. But I don't think anyone can deny that the right-wing media has been out to get Clinton since 1992.

LOL

The same "right wing media" that openly admits they were bias in favor of Obama? But hey, as long as it helps your guy, who cares!
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 02:34:15 AM »

LOL

The same "right wing media" that openly admits they were bias in favor of Obama? But hey, as long as it helps your guy, who cares!

Not to quibble (since I don't agree with him and probably agree with you more on the subject) - but how is them backing Clinton's opponent indicative of the fact that they aren't out to get her?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies