Geo-Political Simulator
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:30:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Geo-Political Simulator
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Geo-Political Simulator  (Read 9711 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2008, 03:19:42 PM »

http://www.geo-political-simulator.com/index.php?langue=en&page=about

Where has this game been all my life?  I downloaded it last week, and it is amazing. 

It doesn't look like much, but you can play any country in the world, with all the options for foreign and domestic policy available to you, and the interaction is great.  I can't say enough about this game.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 03:31:06 PM »

Is it worth the fiddy dollars?
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 09:38:40 PM »

A$75, in my case...
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 03:03:38 AM »

I think I'll be buying this game when I get my paycheck tomorrow.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 02:31:57 AM »

I think it is.  Very intensive.

Whoever did the translations into English should be smacked, but it is still understandable.  That's the only complain I have.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 05:34:32 PM »

Installed it; none of the tutorials load for me. Did that happen for you soulty?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 07:06:50 PM »

Installed it; none of the tutorials load for me. Did that happen for you soulty?

No, they loaded for me.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 02:12:01 PM »

Okay well even though I'm hopelessly lost in regards to setting up trade agreements I managed to figure everything else out and am not having quite a bit of fun Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2008, 06:56:55 PM by Supersoulty »

Okay well even though I'm hopelessly lost in regards to setting up trade agreements I managed to figure everything else out and am not having quite a bit of fun Smiley

You schedule a meeting with the country you want to trade with.  You click on the thingy that allows you to discuss trade.  You then you look at the country's supplys and demands.  Even if you have a massive surplus of an item, make a smaller offer... for instance, even if you produce a surplus of 1,000,000,000 barrels of oil, most countries will only buy a couple million at a time.  A country almost never pays anything really close to the usual price they pay for a product, so you have to be willing to accept a low offer, but you can barter up a bit.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 06:19:53 PM »

It sounds like a really good game. I'm going to start lobbying my fiancee to let me buy this one.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 08:18:01 PM »

It sounds like a really good game. I'm going to start lobbying my fiancee to let me buy this one.

One of the times you wish you were still single? Wink
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 08:20:16 PM »

I wouldn't trade her for all the money in the world. It will be a tough sell convincing her to let me buy the game, since we're saving for the wedding and all, though. She's more fun than any computer game, anyway (although we play a few LAN games together, too).
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 10:00:49 PM »

Just played through the introductory scenario. Played as the George W. Bush-esque character starting January 1, 2008. Ended up starting an affair with the (female) governor of Utah. Gained some bipartisan appeal by convincing Congress to raise pollution taxes and promote academic expression- my approval started getting unrealistically high (like 90%). There was a border scuffle between the Koreas that I totally ignored. Prez's father got kidnapped by the Russian mafia and I paid them a ransom of $40 million to get him back.

I got in a big scandal when someone exposed to the press that I shipped weapons to a Tibetan seperatist group. Although an impeachment trial was scheduled, the chief of the army took justice in his own hands, staged a coup and sentenced the president to die. He was killed  by firing squad at dawn on the Fourth of July.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 04:47:23 AM »
« Edited: November 18, 2008, 08:54:19 PM by Supersoulty »

Just played through the introductory scenario. Played as the George W. Bush-esque character starting January 1, 2008. Ended up starting an affair with the (female) governor of Utah. Gained some bipartisan appeal by convincing Congress to raise pollution taxes and promote academic expression- my approval started getting unrealistically high (like 90%). There was a border scuffle between the Koreas that I totally ignored. Prez's father got kidnapped by the Russian mafia and I paid them a ransom of $40 million to get him back.

I got in a big scandal when someone exposed to the press that I shipped weapons to a Tibetan seperatist group. Although an impeachment trial was scheduled, the chief of the army took justice in his own hands, staged a coup and sentenced the president to die. He was killed  by firing squad at dawn on the Fourth of July.

That was an interesting result.

My first real game, I played as Iran.  I started off with the plan of putting up a facade that I was liberalizing to fall in in good with the West with the intent of using it as cover to develop nuclear arms.  I liberalized education.  Got rid of national service and opened talks with the West.  While doing this, I funded some anarchist groups in France to make things difficult for them.

Soon, however, I saw that liberalizing was having real results, and so I decided to open the country to the West.  There was a major nuclear accident in India, and I sent money to help them out.  I opened up relations with China, and even met with the President of the United States.  I left OPEC, and traded oil on the open market.  Things were going pretty good.

But, the groups that I had funded in France finally decided to make a move, and the French traced their funding back to me.  In response, I relaxed religious restrictions to help with other Western countries, but that caused a religious revolt, which ended in my being killed by a suicide bomber.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 04:49:06 PM »

I wouldn't trade her for all the money in the world. It will be a tough sell convincing her to let me buy the game, since we're saving for the wedding and all, though. She's more fun than any computer game, anyway (although we play a few LAN games together, too).

What's the general timeframe for the wedding?
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 05:31:12 PM »

What's the general timeframe for the wedding?

June 19.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 10:09:33 PM »

I just purchased this off the recommendations in this thread. It’s still downloading, but I can’t wait to give it a try.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 10:58:20 AM »

This game looks great, shame there is no demo.

http://www.geo-political-simulator.com/contenu/screens/PIC00018OK.JPG
It's Melbourne!
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 08:39:08 PM »

Sigh... of course they wouldn't have a Mac version...
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2008, 01:06:38 AM »

Okay, after having it for about a week I think I have a pretty good view about how the game works.

Overall, I like it. I’m pretty sure I won’t play it again for  awhile, as it gets rather repetive, but I think they gave it   good effort and the game’s pretty good, though it suffers from realism problems.

My most satisfying game was with Russia. I got elected with Fanadin or whoever and started moving the country towards dictatorship. I ended up banning all sects and religions besides Orthodoxy, which I shamelessly praised and constantly met with the leader of. I was eventually kicked out of every organization I was in but my country still loved me so things were still pretty good. Formed this friendship with this international actor who constantly praised me and was my only real source of positive press outside my own country, which led to the most awesome part of the game for me when he got kidnapped by some group and was shot when I sent in men to free him. I thought it rather ironic, heh heh. Anyway, my downfall came when my own party, by then the only one that was still legal, refused to make me president for life. I tried to arrest the leader of the party and got hit with this big rebellion and had to step down. So, a pity.

Overall though, pretty fun game. Worth 50$? Eh… I’m not sure. I’ll probably eventually play it again, and it is pretty deep, so if this is your sort of think I’m guessing it’s worth the price.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 04:25:32 AM »

Okay, after having it for about a week I think I have a pretty good view about how the game works.

Overall, I like it. I’m pretty sure I won’t play it again for  awhile, as it gets rather repetive, but I think they gave it   good effort and the game’s pretty good, though it suffers from realism problems.

My most satisfying game was with Russia. I got elected with Fanadin or whoever and started moving the country towards dictatorship. I ended up banning all sects and religions besides Orthodoxy, which I shamelessly praised and constantly met with the leader of. I was eventually kicked out of every organization I was in but my country still loved me so things were still pretty good. Formed this friendship with this international actor who constantly praised me and was my only real source of positive press outside my own country, which led to the most awesome part of the game for me when he got kidnapped by some group and was shot when I sent in men to free him. I thought it rather ironic, heh heh. Anyway, my downfall came when my own party, by then the only one that was still legal, refused to make me president for life. I tried to arrest the leader of the party and got hit with this big rebellion and had to step down. So, a pity.

Overall though, pretty fun game. Worth 50$? Eh… I’m not sure. I’ll probably eventually play it again, and it is pretty deep, so if this is your sort of think I’m guessing it’s worth the price.

I think its major drawback is that it sinks under the weight of its own extreme attention to detail.  If they could find ways to streamline it, then I think it would work alot better.

Also, almost anything you do seems to result in rebellion, and indeed, the goal of the game seems to be to find a way to make yourself leader for life, which isn't realistic.  I'm not sure what happens if you are a term limited leader and your time runs out, I haven't played that long, as it would take hours.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2009, 02:17:32 AM »

Sigh... of course they wouldn't have a Mac version...

Yeah... Sad
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2009, 08:36:39 PM »

I'm a year and a half into a game as China, and I'm doing awesomely. Improvements all across the board.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 01:26:21 AM »

I'm a year and a half into a game as China, and I'm doing awesomely. Improvements all across the board.

I actually just started playing again last night as the U.S.  I am about a month in now.  I kinda wish things happened at a faster pace.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 12:06:21 PM »

I actually just started playing again last night as the U.S.  I am about a month in now.  I kinda wish things happened at a faster pace.

Things do go by at a fast pace for me; resist the urge to micromanage everything and you'll be fine.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies