richard burr?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:26:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  richard burr?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: richard burr?  (Read 3503 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 08, 2008, 12:51:31 PM »

provided he wins reelection in 2010, will he be a candidate for the presidency in 2012?
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 12:53:16 PM »

I doubt it.  He is hardly a figure in the Republican Party.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 12:56:15 PM »

He is hardly a figure in the Republican Party.

that may be a good thing.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 01:03:21 PM »

provided he wins reelection in 2010, will he be a candidate for the presidency in 2012?

Good question, Mitty...and one I have pondered.  I think a lot of us are (rightly) looking at Huckabee, Palin, Romney, Thune, Pence, Jindal, Crist and perhaps Coburn or DeMint because they seem to be in the fore at present.  Some were also-rans, this time.  Others are part of what is perceived to be a new conservative movement just now coalescing in D.C.

So I would add Burr's name to the mix, though I am not sure in what capacity.  Small state or not, I think John Hoeven will be looked at closely because of his high approvals.  No one seems to like him left or right, but I think Bob Corker has an interesting and solidly Republican history.  But the time 2012 rolls around, he'll have had two terms in the Senate and might put his name into the mix.  Keep in mind, if people like Tommy Thompson, Jim Gilmore and Duncan Hunter can run for President...nothing should stop Corker.  He'll be 60.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 10:37:07 PM »

Good question, Mitty...and one I have pondered.  I think a lot of us are (rightly) looking at Huckabee, Palin, Romney, Thune, Pence, Jindal, Crist and perhaps Coburn or DeMint because they seem to be in the fore at present.  Some were also-rans, this time.  Others are part of what is perceived to be a new conservative movement just now coalescing in D.C.

So I would add Burr's name to the mix, though I am not sure in what capacity.  Small state or not, I think John Hoeven will be looked at closely because of his high approvals.  No one seems to like him left or right, but I think Bob Corker has an interesting and solidly Republican history.  But the time 2012 rolls around, he'll have had two terms in the Senate and might put his name into the mix.  Keep in mind, if people like Tommy Thompson, Jim Gilmore and Duncan Hunter can run for President...nothing should stop Corker.  He'll be 60.

Bob Corker is a complete phoney. He wouldn't go far at all.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 11:04:54 AM »

Good question, Mitty...and one I have pondered.  I think a lot of us are (rightly) looking at Huckabee, Palin, Romney, Thune, Pence, Jindal, Crist and perhaps Coburn or DeMint because they seem to be in the fore at present.  Some were also-rans, this time.  Others are part of what is perceived to be a new conservative movement just now coalescing in D.C.

So I would add Burr's name to the mix, though I am not sure in what capacity.  Small state or not, I think John Hoeven will be looked at closely because of his high approvals.  No one seems to like him left or right, but I think Bob Corker has an interesting and solidly Republican history.  But the time 2012 rolls around, he'll have had two terms in the Senate and might put his name into the mix.  Keep in mind, if people like Tommy Thompson, Jim Gilmore and Duncan Hunter can run for President...nothing should stop Corker.  He'll be 60.

tn has a fine duo of senators.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 12:45:45 PM »

Good question, Mitty...and one I have pondered.  I think a lot of us are (rightly) looking at Huckabee, Palin, Romney, Thune, Pence, Jindal, Crist and perhaps Coburn or DeMint because they seem to be in the fore at present.  Some were also-rans, this time.  Others are part of what is perceived to be a new conservative movement just now coalescing in D.C.

So I would add Burr's name to the mix, though I am not sure in what capacity.  Small state or not, I think John Hoeven will be looked at closely because of his high approvals.  No one seems to like him left or right, but I think Bob Corker has an interesting and solidly Republican history.  But the time 2012 rolls around, he'll have had two terms in the Senate and might put his name into the mix.  Keep in mind, if people like Tommy Thompson, Jim Gilmore and Duncan Hunter can run for President...nothing should stop Corker.  He'll be 60.

Tongue
 though in all honesty, I just voted for one of them.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 01:58:00 PM »

I'm sorry that you feel that way.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 02:01:33 PM »

No.  He'll be defeated in 2010.  The seat is cursed, next.
mhm.
Jeff from NC
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 03:06:14 PM »

No.  He'll be defeated in 2010.  The seat is cursed, next.

Do we really believe this?  But I think the notion of the seat being "cursed" is bunk.  1980 and 1986 were landslides, in which NC took part.  In 1998, Dems were actually doing well all over the South - they picked up governorships in South Carolina, Alabama and Mississippi that year.  Edwards's meager victory isn't that much of an aberration then, and the Democrats might have picked up more seats in the South except that they already held many of the seats up that year.  And Burr's victory in 2004 is not surprising given Bush's long coattails in the South.  1992, when Faircloth defeated Sanford, is the only real fluke.

Burr will certainly be targeted, given the fact that his numbers are soft (last I checked) and Dems have made such a strong showing in the state in 2006/2008.  But it ain't the curse.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 03:10:48 PM »

I'd be glad to see him run and would certainly work on his campaign. I'll be sure to ask him or get my dad's girlfriend to ask his wife for all of us in the future.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies