Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2014, 08:41:59 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2012 Elections (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Novack: Newt Gingrich is the frontrunner?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Novack: Newt Gingrich is the frontrunner?  (Read 1228 times)
Eraserhead
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2008, 11:20:45 am »
Ignore

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postpartisan/2008/11/newt_in_2012.html

Feel free to post Obama v. Gingrich maps.

truth serum
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 11:24:09 am »
Ignore

Great to see Novak well enough to continue writing. Terrible to see him suggesting silly ideas again.

Grazie, Capitano!
HappyWarrior
hannibal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 11:36:17 am »
Ignore

And this is being kind to Newt.

"Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
-William Jennings Bryan
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 12:01:54 pm »
Ignore

While I don't think he could win the general election due to character issues, he would serve the party's interest by coherently stating what conservatism is really about and why the country voted overwhelmingly for conservatism some time ago.  Newt is a "big ideas" guy, something the GOP has been devoid of for about ten years, and would at least get the party back on track for gains in the future.  Interesting, but it would almost definitely be a 2012 sacrifice and I don't see it happening.  He's big on Bobby Jindal.  I could see him pressuring Jindal for a run and advising him in 2012.   
JSojourner
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 12:26:08 pm »
Ignore

While I don't think he could win the general election due to character issues, he would serve the party's interest by coherently stating what conservatism is really about and why the country voted overwhelmingly for conservatism some time ago.  Newt is a "big ideas" guy, something the GOP has been devoid of for about ten years, and would at least get the party back on track for gains in the future.  Interesting, but it would almost definitely be a 2012 sacrifice and I don't see it happening.  He's big on Bobby Jindal.  I could see him pressuring Jindal for a run and advising him in 2012.   

I totally agree.  Newt will anoint his "heir apparent".  Whether or not it will be Piyush Jindal, Mike Pence or someone else is not clear at the moment.  But you're correct -- Newt is very high on Jindal at the moment.  Republicans need someone who IS conservative on social issues, but doesn't make that his or her identity.  Social conservative is already Sarah Palin's identity and she's stuck with it.

Pence and Jindal can downplay those issues (as GWB did in 2000) and hammer away at spending and fiscal concerns.  I'm guessing that would be Newt's advice.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout