Obama supposedly wants Valerie Jarrett to take his seat.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:03:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Obama supposedly wants Valerie Jarrett to take his seat.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama supposedly wants Valerie Jarrett to take his seat.  (Read 1724 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 10, 2008, 11:58:37 AM »

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2008/11/10/obama_wants_jarrett_to_get_senate_appointment.html
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 12:12:13 PM »

interesting.

I've never heard of her before, so I can't really comment. On paper she looks acceptable.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 12:13:01 PM »

If Blago can get Obama's promise to campaign for him and endorse him during his primary if he seeks reelection, I think he'll appoint whoever Obama wants.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 12:44:37 PM »

I saw her on Meet the Press the other day. She seems like a very smart woman.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 12:55:28 PM »

If Blago can get Obama's promise to campaign for him and endorse him during his primary if he seeks reelection, I think he'll appoint whoever Obama wants.

If Obama campaigns for Blago, well, you know what I would think of that...
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 12:58:16 PM »

Well you were among the 2,573,368 people in New York that didn't vote for him anyway.

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 01:08:22 PM »

Well you were among the 2,573,368 people in New York that didn't vote for him anyway.

Yes, but even with that I'm quite a big believer in giving someone time in office to show his true worth, i.e. whether he is deserving of approval or disapproval, regardless of how I originally voted.  It's called a "honeymoon period".  Smiley

Your suggestion would kind of be like Bush campaigning for Bob Taft in Ohio should he have  had the ability to run for re-election.  I might have joined the Impeach Bush bandwagon just for that.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 02:29:09 PM »

Your suggestion would kind of be like Bush campaigning for Bob Taft in Ohio should he have  had the ability to run for re-election.  I might have joined the Impeach Bush bandwagon just for that.

Doesn't Bush still have majority approval from Republicans? I'm pretty sure he had super-majority approval from them through 2007. Certainly the Republicans in Congress weren't putting together an anti-Bush bandwagon of any kind until well into this election season.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 02:32:20 PM »

Not directed at Sam, but... a good question for Republicans would be, in December 2004, did you feel that Democrats didn't really matter as much as you did? That their opinions weren't really relevant, that they were maybe a little whiny, that they weren't to be taken seriously? That they had an invisible L on their foreheads, but it was impolite to point it out, unless they embarrassed themselves and complained a little too loudly and had to be reminded that they lost and America was against them?

I don't feel that way about Republicans now. The wheel of fortune turns and our country is big and diverse, and everyone should be listened to. However, without a doubt, quite a few Republicans bought into the Grover Norquist permanent majority attitude. I think it will be tough to adjust to temporary irrelevance.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 02:41:53 PM »

I doubt Obama cares enough about the successor to be willing to make a quid pro quo with Blago about it.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 02:52:36 PM »

I doubt Obama cares enough about the successor to be willing to make a quid pro quo with Blago about it.

Yeah probably, my bad.

But if Obama really wanted anyone, he could do this. 
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 02:55:03 PM »

Doesn't Bush still have majority approval from Republicans? I'm pretty sure he had super-majority approval from them through 2007. Certainly the Republicans in Congress weren't putting together an anti-Bush bandwagon of any kind until well into this election season.

I'm sure you're right.  However, Bush ceased to be approved of by me after Katrina (I might have been neutral a certain bit - but neutral means disapprove in my book - Clinton was at that level a lot for me).  And my distaste for him and Congressional Republicans grew after the bankruptcy bill in 2005, frankly, which was complete garbage.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 05:20:06 PM »

He should just strong-arm Blago.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 06:56:40 PM »

employ a death threat like a true Chicago street thug.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 08:15:10 PM »

employ a death threat like a true Chicago street thug.

That's how we did it in the old days, the all or nothing days.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 11:01:45 PM »

From what the polling looks like, the entire world outside of Illinois could endorse Blago and he'd still lose by 15 points.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies