HuffPost: Obama's gonna close Gitmo!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 11:17:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  HuffPost: Obama's gonna close Gitmo!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: HuffPost: Obama's gonna close Gitmo!  (Read 4809 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2008, 02:04:55 PM »

Yeah, they certainly are way above average.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2008, 02:06:33 PM »

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/u_s_finally_gets_around_to
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2008, 02:18:42 PM »

Even if we accept that argument, is there any excuse for the living conditions?

Let's see . . . some living in their own rooms while others live in general quarters.  All but a few have access to outdoor group activities.  Plus three square meals a day and advanced medical care and are allowed to freely practice their religion.  Yeah, I feel so sorry for them and their living conditions. 
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2008, 02:23:40 PM »

Even if we accept that argument, is there any excuse for the living conditions?

Let's see . . . some living in their own rooms while others live in general quarters.  All but a few have access to outdoor group activities.  Plus three square meals a day and advanced medical care and are allowed to freely practice their religion.  Yeah, I feel so sorry for them and their living conditions. 

from Human Rights Watch:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2008, 02:30:30 PM »

will McCain come out in support of Obama's actions?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2008, 02:39:26 PM »

I'll see you one and raise you three.

New York Times: The Guantánamo I Know

MSNBC:  Gitmo detainees get classes, movies

The Raw Story: Gitmo Admiral: Detainees pretty much live in a fraternity house

And lest we forget, you were quoting Human Rights Watch, which has it's own agenda as the Admiral listed above does.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2008, 02:45:23 PM »

SOMETHING needs to be done, at least.

States, how can you advocate people being locked up for 7 years without trial? That's dictatorial in any language.

POW

We held Germans here for years during WW1 @ 2. On top of that the same thing was done during the Civil War as well.

This makes it OK because...?

Because it keeps them from killing others until such a time where we can return them back to their country of orgin so they can be dealt with...?

That's the difference between a war with Germany, which was over when we conquered Germany, and a "War on Terror", which is over... when...?

We can not elide this distinction. Guantanamo was a problem because it didn't exist in a legal zone nor in a common sense zone. You can't keep people locked up indefinitely, especially without some kind of legal process. 
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2008, 02:51:35 PM »

That's the difference between a war with Germany, which was over when we conquered Germany, and a "War on Terror", which is over... when...?

We can not elide this distinction. Guantanamo was a problem because it didn't exist in a legal zone nor in a common sense zone. You can't keep people locked up indefinitely, especially without some kind of legal process. 

Yes, they are significantly different.  However, like with Germany, we are returning detainees to their home of orgin to be dealt with by their governments.  Some that were continue to retain are done so because of their strategic importance, because of still relevant intel they can provide, or because they will be killed/tortured by their country of orgin (ie - China).  No one ever said it was a perfect practice.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2008, 03:43:12 PM »

You know sometimes this forum never ceases to amaze me with its predictability... Of course Modu is going to say that Gitmo is Ok and perfectly above board because he seems incapable of believing that the US could ever do anything wrong and that the US is height of civilization and etc. If there was evidence that detainees were being brought out of the prison and plunged into the water as executions, MODU would still defend it as neccesary in the fight against terror. He's like a more intelligent version of Naso. Narrative Superceeds evidence.

Meanwhile Of course the "liberals" are going to disagree with him not just disagreeing (mildly) with status quo arguements is what they do but because it fits into the narrative of America which they know so well. Gitmo may be a holiday camp for all I know; but the pseudo-rebellious "liberals" seem in it a perfect example of America's inability or failure to deal probably with the Islamic world. Simple arguement, now if a released detainee freed would then go on to commit 9/11 II we would surely all hear about Iraq, Bush and etc etc.

I yawn.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2008, 04:13:45 PM »

The "fight against terror" is bullѕhit.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2008, 04:23:46 PM »

You know sometimes this forum never ceases to amaze me with its predictability... Of course Modu is going to say that Gitmo is Ok and perfectly above board because he seems incapable of believing that the US could ever do anything wrong and that the US is height of civilization and etc. If there was evidence that detainees were being brought out of the prison and plunged into the water as executions, MODU would still defend it as neccesary in the fight against terror. He's like a more intelligent version of Naso. Narrative Superceeds evidence.

No one ever said it was a perfect practice.

That kinda puts a dent into your overgeneralization of my views.  Ideally, we wouldn't need Gimto.  However, we have to have some place to place these people and to gain intelligence while keeping them off the battle field.  I know . . . I'm big ol' mean MODU for treating terrorists like the mercenaries that they are (according to the Geneva Convention), yet at the same time providing them more meals and better living conditions than even some of our own law abiding citizens enjoy.  How do I ever sleep at night?  Roll Eyes
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2008, 04:41:26 PM »

No one ever said it was a perfect practice.

That kinda puts a dent into your overgeneralization of my views.  Ideally, we wouldn't need Gimto.  However, we have to have some place to place these people and to gain intelligence while keeping them off the battle field.  I know . . . I'm big ol' mean MODU for treating terrorists like the mercenaries that they are (according to the Geneva Convention), yet at the same time providing them more meals and better living conditions than even some of our own law abiding citizens enjoy.  How do I ever sleep at night?  Roll Eyes

Did you even read the second half of my post.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2008, 04:54:38 PM »

Yup, but I only quoted the first half since that was the part that pertained directly towards my views.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2008, 04:55:48 PM »

States, how can you advocate people being locked up for 7 years without trial? That's dictatorial in any language.

POW

We held Germans here for years during WW1 @ 2. On top of that the same thing was done during the Civil War as well.

Those were different kinds of wars with the sides clearly distinguished.  There might be many, many people at Gitmo who have nothing to do with terrorism at all!
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2008, 05:27:53 PM »

For me the worst part about Gitmo was how it ruined our moral position in the world. Pre Bush/Iraq/Gitmo America was viewed as a place of freedom and opportunity. Now it is viewed as a country that conducts illegal wars and tortures people. I think these people need to be given rights but I am not sure if they should be released. They sure as hell shouldn't have been kept like animals and then shown to the rest of the world. You "patriotic" Americans think people will always agree with whatever we do since we are the best country or some bullsh**t like that. Doesn't work that way though. If we are going to compete in this globalized world, we need friends and our moral authority back. Getting rid of gitmo is the best way to do it and higher up officials should make a decision about who there is important and who is not, then conduct trials for those who are just foot soldiers. All the important guys should just be kept secret about( I am sure these are just a handful) or sent to another country for "processing".
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2008, 05:32:59 PM »

About time. He couldn't afford to wait much longer with this announcement.

sbane (first sentence) is exactly right.

POW

Those were different kinds of wars with the sides clearly distinguished.  There might be many, many people at Gitmo who have nothing to do with terrorism at all!
"might"? LMAO.
MR maverick
MR politics
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2008, 06:24:37 PM »

This is bad news to me actually.

Keep it open.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2008, 08:56:55 PM »

Good.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2008, 10:12:47 PM »

Fantastic!
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2008, 02:48:11 PM »

Yup, but I only quoted the first half since that was the part that pertained directly towards my views.

Then you obviously did not understand what I was saying. You sir, have failed.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2008, 05:21:10 PM »

I don't really have an opinion of the camp. But the practice of keeping people without trial does have to end. So in that sense I guess I'm for it. But it's a principle thing for me. I don't feel all that sympathetical towards the people held there, since I doubt they're all that innocent.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies