A Little Perspective, Please! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:30:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  A Little Perspective, Please! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A Little Perspective, Please!  (Read 3824 times)
ucscgaldamez

« on: November 11, 2008, 12:45:18 AM »

Winning 68% of the electoral college sounds like a landslide to me.

It's all perspective. Your perspective is comparing it to other larger blowouts. Also, consider the fact that Clinton was aided by third party candidates. For me, anything over 60% sounds like a landslide. Yet if you look at the popular vote, it is not as big. It all depends on what you are looking at.
ucscgaldamez

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 12:49:33 AM »

RE: Clinton popular vote.

Obama is likely to surpass Clinton's popular vote margin (96') at 8.2 million.

Obama is now leading McCain by over 8.2 million votes (this is without Cali 2+ million votes outstanding)

ucscgaldamez

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 12:07:13 PM »

I agree with J.J. I was not arguing for this election to be considered a landslide. However, everyone has a different perspective of how to consider the results. If you look at the electoral college results, it is an electoral college landslide. You cannot argue otherwise. If you look at the popular vote, it is NOT a landslide. When you look at all the factors, I don't consider the results to be a landslide but a very impressive win. Thus, there are a lot of factors to consider, electoral college results, popular vote, absolute vote margin, the context of the election, relative results to other elections. In the end, I think this was not a landslide but it was a very impressive for Obama. I, for one, did not expect these results.

Obama winning Indiana? Never thought that would happen. You can only get that with an impressive win.
ucscgaldamez

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 06:51:10 PM »

There is no affirmative action in the electoral college.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies