A Little Perspective, Please! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:36:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  A Little Perspective, Please! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A Little Perspective, Please!  (Read 3817 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« on: November 11, 2008, 04:43:59 AM »

RE: Clinton popular vote.

Obama is likely to surpass Clinton's popular vote margin (96') at 8.2 million.

Obama is now leading McCain by over 8.2 million votes (this is without Cali 2+ million votes outstanding)

Using absolute numbers is just stupid. That biases in favour of later-day candidacies.

Also, the comparison is not to "even larger landslides" it's to recent elections, of which many were landslides. Which seems to be exactly Carl's point.

The counter-argument I would offer is rather that the landslides of the past occurred largely in a different political climate of Southern dealignment when such occurences happened more easily. Even then though this isn't really historical. It's an impressive win but it's not mind-blowing if you just look at the numbers. And if we are to take the specifics of the situation into the equation it tends to cut both ways (racial issues, economy, etc).
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 05:45:17 AM »

I'd call it a very comfortable victory, not a landslide. I'm not even sure if I'd call Clinton '96 or Bush '88 landslides.

Johnson '64, Nixon '72, Reagan '84... now those are REAL landslides... if we are only to concern ourselves with the Presidential level anyway.

I would consider 364 electoral votes in todays america a mini -landslide.

Bush had all the "moral" backing and ideals in 2000 and 2004, but only was able ink out a small win ( 2000 he didn't even win), kinda sad considering this is supposed to be a "center- right" country.

Anything over 350Ev for a democrat is a landslide in my book.

You think Democrats should get their own special land-slide definition because they have such a hard time?

I do not agree. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies