Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2014, 03:20:44 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2008 Elections
| | |-+  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
| | | |-+  Worst president in 50 years
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Poll
Question: Who is the worst president of the past 50 years?
Bush
Carter
Nixon/Ford
other
Show Pie Chart

Author Topic: Worst president in 50 years  (Read 22551 times)
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2008, 09:30:39 pm »
Ignore

Nixon....Ford wasn't that bad of a President...he just really didn't do anything. My dad met him once, apparently he was a pretty friendly and decent fellow.

Carter comes next, then I guess Reagan and Daddy Bush.

Ford gave us the Helsinki Accords, a very politically unpopular move at the time, but one that eventually bore fruit in the form of the liberal democratic movements that swept through the communist bloc several years later. I believe this, alone, is enough to qualify him as an above-average President.

Helsinki was meaningless.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
MR maverick
MR politics
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2008, 06:54:13 am »
Ignore

Hoover , Carter, and Bush W.

After 2012 you can Add Barack H Obama to that list.

Nixon in '80
nixon1980
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2008, 03:12:13 pm »
Ignore

Nixon....Ford wasn't that bad of a President...he just really didn't do anything. My dad met him once, apparently he was a pretty friendly and decent fellow.

Ford gave us the Helsinki Accords, a very politically unpopular move at the time, but one that eventually bore fruit in the form of the liberal democratic movements that swept through the communist bloc several years later. I believe this, alone, is enough to qualify him as an above-average President.

Do you have an argument, or are you simply making ridiculous statements for fun?

“Sarah Palin is the only part of the campaign that I won’t comment on publicly.” - Meghan McCain
CARLHAYDEN
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2008, 07:14:46 pm »
Ignore

Do you remember the double digit inflation?

A result of the Nixon/Ford years.

[

I'm going to post the refuation one by one Lunar.

http://inflationdata.com/inflation/Consumer_Price_Index/HistoricalCPI.aspx?rsCPI_currentPage=2

Registered in Arizona for Fantasy election purposes.
CARLHAYDEN
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2008, 07:22:04 pm »
Ignore

Do you remember the gas lines?

I remember them from before Carter took office. 1973?

But, do you rememember the 1979-80 gas lines?  Or do you have selective memory, or severe memory lapses?

CARLHAYDEN
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2008, 07:30:06 pm »
Ignore

Do you remember the American embassy personnel being held hostage?

Carter mishandled a bad situaton that was created by the Nixon/Ford foreign policy mess.

Well its nice of you to admit that that was a "bad situation" and that Carter "mishandled" it,  but your attempt to blame everything that went wrong under Carter on Nixon/Ford is hysterically funny.

Beet
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2008, 07:51:23 pm »
Ignore

Dazzleman?

CARLHAYDEN
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2008, 08:23:02 pm »
Ignore

Carter mishandled a bad situaton that was created by the Nixon/Ford foreign policy mess.

Do you remember the crime rate was higher in 1980 than at any time in the preceding or succeeding twenty seven years?

It was higher under Bush (Sr.).

Here's the Murder and Nonnegligent Homicide rate (according the the Uniform Crime Statistics):

Year          Rate per 100,000 population

1980               10.2     
1989                 8.7
1990                 9.4
1991                 9.8
1992                 9.3

ShadowOfTheWave
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2008, 09:39:17 pm »
Ignore

Truman, for his idiotic handling of the Korean war. JFK is a close second, although maybe I just think he wasn't as good as most claim.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2008, 06:51:37 pm »
Ignore

Truman, for his idiotic handling of the Korean war. JFK is a close second, although maybe I just think he wasn't as good as most claim.

Kennedy's tax policy was on point. 
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2008, 12:43:28 am »
Ignore

Do you have an argument, or are you simply making ridiculous statements for fun?

Have you evidence that it did something?

When I look at the reasons for the collapse of the USSR, Helsinki just doesn't figure.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
WillK
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2008, 09:17:56 am »
Ignore

Do you remember the double digit inflation?

A result of the Nixon/Ford years.

[

I'm going to post the refuation one by one Lunar.

http://inflationdata.com/inflation/Consumer_Price_Index/HistoricalCPI.aspx?rsCPI_currentPage=2

Inflation was double digit throughout 1974 and into early 1975.  Check the source you just provided.   
WillK
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2008, 09:20:28 am »
Ignore

Do you remember the gas lines?

I remember them from before Carter took office. 1973?

But, do you rememember the 1979-80 gas lines?  Or do you have selective memory, or severe memory lapses?

Sure there were gas lines in 79-80. 
There were also gas lines in 1973. 
Do you remember that?
Do you also remember that Carter didn't become president until 1977?
So how are you going to blame the 1973 gas lines on Carter?
Please explain for us.
Absolutely hysterical for you to come back with comments about selective memory. 
WillK
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2008, 09:45:02 am »
Ignore

Do you remember the crime rate was higher in 1980 than at any time in the preceding or succeeding twenty seven years?

It was higher under Bush (Sr.).

Here's the Murder and Nonnegligent Homicide rate (according the the Uniform Crime Statistics):

Year          Rate per 100,000 population

1980               10.2     
1989                 8.7
1990                 9.4
1991                 9.8
1992                 9.3

You are being curiously selective in your statistics.

From the same source as you referenced:
Violent Crime Rates/100,000
1977     475.9 
1978    497.8    
1979    548.9
1980    596.6    
1989      663.1 
1990    731.8
1991     758.1
1992     757.5    

Murder did hit a peak during Carter's years.  But other types of violent crime (ie: forcible rape, robbery, aggravated assualt) were higher under Bush (Sr.)
WillK
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2008, 09:49:55 am »
Ignore

Do you remember the American embassy personnel being held hostage?

Well its nice of you to admit that that was a "bad situation" and that Carter "mishandled" it,  but your attempt to blame everything that went wrong under Carter on Nixon/Ford is hysterically funny.

I did not blamed everything that went wrong on Nixon/Ford.  I did point out some issues where the same phenomenon was seen before or after Carter (gas lines, high crime) or where he inherited a problem not of his own making.   But you seem too blinded by your irrational partisanship to handle fact based discussion.

pbrower2a
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2009, 01:51:16 am »
Ignore

George W. Bush.

He let himself be a stooge for Karl Rove, allowing a Party Boss to be a fourth branch of government contrary to the Constitution, and promoting the perverse "majority of a majority" system in which those who vote "wrong" get cheated. He bungled the response to Hurricane Katrina.  Surely he signed off on the outing of Valerie Plame Wilson.

He lied about the casus belli against Saddam Hussein. He enabled abuse of prisoners in prisons under US supervision and promoted a concept called "extraordinary rendition" that allowed those who ended up in American custody to be sent to countries in which they would be tortured.  He played word games to befuddle people. He promoted a speculative boom that could only go bust. Not since Herbert Hoover has any President been so thoroughly repudiated so quickly and completely -- and Hoover at least had a moral compass.

Has anyone noticed what a "non-person" he has become since his term of office expired?

Your political compass

Economic Left/Right: -7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
YaBB God
Czech Republic

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2009, 07:34:41 pm »
Ignore

Other: Clinton

Clearly the solution is to privatize presidential elections.

So, in less than four years, get excited for the 2016 MetLife Financial U Pick The Prez Extravaganza. If you tweet a picture of your completed ballot with the hashtag #ivoted, you could win a trip for two to the inauguration or an iTunes gift card.
IDS Attorney General PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2009, 11:18:13 pm »
Ignore

Carter, though not just naming every choice is just lazy.

Bo
Rochambeau
YaBB God
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2010, 12:50:24 am »
Ignore

Other: JFK.

Senator Libertas
Libertas
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.48, S: -9.22

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2010, 12:59:35 am »
Ignore

LBJ for sure, followed by George W. Bush.

If Obama counts, then put him up there too.
Princess Kenny
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2010, 10:05:30 am »
Ignore

Carter:

Malaise
Stagflation
Energy Crisis
Rejection of the Shah
Supporting rebels in Afghanistan (I realize Reagan continued this policy, and it's a black mark on his record, also.)
Budget Deficit
Inability to manage and delegate.

W. has been pretty bad, but Carter takes the cake, in my opinion.

Rejection of Shah? Hahaha. Actually, not admitting him to the U.S. was pretty smart move and avoided additional troubles. Carter cannot be really blamed for Iranian revolution, as it was a consequence of politics impaled by the U.S. since Ike.

Budget deficit: Compare it to Bush one, ok?

Afghanistan? Lol, I thought you conservatives were so supportivbe to "freedom fighters".

Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2010, 02:45:09 pm »
Ignore

Carter:

Malaise
Stagflation
Energy Crisis
Rejection of the Shah
Supporting rebels in Afghanistan (I realize Reagan continued this policy, and it's a black mark on his record, also.)
Budget Deficit
Inability to manage and delegate.

W. has been pretty bad, but Carter takes the cake, in my opinion.

Rejection of Shah? Hahaha. Actually, not admitting him to the U.S. was pretty smart move and avoided additional troubles. Carter cannot be really blamed for Iranian revolution, as it was a consequence of politics impaled by the U.S. since Ike.

Budget deficit: Compare it to Bush one, ok?

Afghanistan? Lol, I thought you conservatives were so supportivbe to "freedom fighters".

Not sure about Iran, hell the fact that the Iranian Revolution was a problem for us should speak volumes about how out of control US foreign policy had got at that juncture. Blame Ike Boy for setting the stones in place for such an incident to occur in the first place.

Budget Deficit: I don't even know where to begin on this one. Sure Carter had a budget deficit but the fact that Reagan and Bush fanboys always bring this up is the definition of irony considering that Ronald Reagan, George HW Bush and Junior all exploded the deficit to heights that made Carter's deficit look like the world's smallest penis in comparison.

Afghanistan, you got a point there but like Kal said I find it ironic that some conservatives would be opposed to "freedumb fightun". There was this thing called the "Cold War" you see, except it really wasn't cold outside it was just a state of mind that existed between the superpowers of the Capitalistic West and the Communistic East. Conservatives back then could give a flip about Islamic extremists because they were worried that men dancing around in Red Pajamas drinking vodka and screaming "Vas Vadanya!" would nuke the f*** out of them. Now such an idea seems like utter nonsense, after all state communism is by definition utter nonsense, but back then even as late as 1979 there was a real fear that people were so idiotic that they would prefer the message of collectivist government with no fun over the semi-fun semi-cool capitalistic system of the west! This philosophy is what guided foreign policy between 1945-1991, because the threat of nuclear annhilation, without regarding the principle of Mutual Assured Destruction that states that all sides will avoid all out war in fear of creating a nuclear holocaust, as illogical as it seems to alot of people nowdays at least made somewhat more sense than "them third world tyrannical regimes will nuke the f*** out of us!" when our own nuclear arsenals outnumber theirs 1000 to 1 (at least).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 02:52:32 pm by Inhofe in 2012 »Logged

23:19   Xahar   you're literally a white dude Mechaman
hawkeye59
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2010, 10:03:17 am »
Ignore

BUSH

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.  So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.-Jack Layton 1950-2011
A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on-John F. Kennedy 1917-1963
Bo
Rochambeau
YaBB God
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2010, 03:28:17 pm »
Ignore

BUSH

I'm assuming you mean Jr., right?

Princess Kenny