Interesting interview with the President-Elect about his faith (from 2004)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:15:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Interesting interview with the President-Elect about his faith (from 2004)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Interesting interview with the President-Elect about his faith (from 2004)  (Read 3288 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2008, 12:31:40 PM »

http://blog.beliefnet.com/stevenwaldman/2008/11/obamas-interview-with-cathleen.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 12:41:06 PM »

I love this guy.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 01:02:25 PM »

You do realize that this is basically Opebo's philosophy (though Obama has another outlet).
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 01:23:00 PM »

You do realize that this is basically Opebo's philosophy (though Obama has another outlet).

If that's Opebo's philosophy than that's one thing I can agree with him on.

I agree wholeheartedly with Obama's view of the afterlife. Very nice to see.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 01:29:53 PM »

How is that Opebo at all?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 01:34:43 PM »

I believe there are many Christians who don't believe in the hackneyed, hallmark card view of heaven, but who do believe in an eternal afterlife.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 01:55:05 PM »

Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 02:10:58 PM »

huh?!

Does he believe in eternal life or not?  Seems to me that he holds out the possibility of eternal life, but is unsure...which dovetails with him not mentioning Jesus Christ.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 02:11:14 PM »

I believe there are many Christians who don't believe in the hackneyed, hallmark card view of heaven, but who do believe in an eternal afterlife.

I don't know where you'll be, but I'll be chillin' here:

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 02:12:53 PM »

Congratulations, you have managed to say something even stupider than your talk about the Bradley Effect.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 02:13:47 PM »

huh?!

Does he believe in eternal life or not?  Seems to me that he holds out the possibility of eternal life, but is unsure...which dovetails with him not mentioning Jesus Christ.

and does the dude even believe in the resurrection of the dead?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 02:20:09 PM »

Probably not. I think it's pretty apparent from this article that's he's not a religious, at least not in the "believe in magic" sense.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 02:23:13 PM »

Probably not. I think it's pretty apparent from this article that's he's not a religious, at least not in the "believe in magic" sense.

well, if he doesn't believe in the resurrection of the dead, how does he claim to be a Christian?

1Cor 15 12But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. 14And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 02:27:14 PM »

Tongue
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 02:27:38 PM »

When running for political office, it's usually best not to get too preachy.  It seems pretty hackishly bold to jump on everything he didn't say in his answer.  If Obama's talking about energy and fails to mention clean coal, it wouldn't mean that he doesn't believe in clean coal.

How many presidential candidates openly talk about the resurrection of Jesus in a question about the afterlife?
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 02:28:33 PM »

well, if he doesn't believe in the resurrection of the dead, how does he claim to be a Christian?

1Cor 15 12But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. 14And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith.

Is that really relevant? Didn't you previously state Obama was "lost" regardless because he does not view homosexuality as immoral?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 02:32:57 PM »

When running for political office, it's usually best not to get too preachy.  It seems pretty hackishly bold to jump on everything he didn't say in his answer.  If Obama's talking about energy and fails to mention clean coal, it wouldn't mean that he doesn't believe in clean coal.

How many presidential candidates openly talk about the resurrection of Jesus in a question about the afterlife?

fine, but he did NOT answer the question asked:  "Do you believe in heaven - a place you spiritually go after you die?"

no need for him to preach - a simple yes or no answer would be fine
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 02:35:19 PM »

fine, but he did NOT answer the question asked:  "Do you believe in heaven - a place you spiritually go after you die?"

When does Obama ever give a simple yes or no?
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 02:44:06 PM »

When does Obama ever give a simple yes or no?

Heh.  Yeah, this was a typical Obama evasion. Smiley
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 02:45:32 PM »

I mean, if you ask him a loaded question like this, he's going to have mental red lights going off in his head saying "be careful" -- and he's going to give a nuanced answer like this regardless of what he actually believes.

I don't doubt that Obama would fail to fall into jm's narrow definition of what a Christian is and isn't, but he probably comes a lot closer than a Mr. John McCain and many other politicians.
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 02:50:39 PM »

I mean, if you ask him a loaded question like this, he's going to have mental red lights going off in his head saying "be careful" -- and he's going to give a nuanced answer like this regardless of what he actually believes.

I don't doubt that Obama would fail to fall into jm's narrow definition of what a Christian is and isn't, but he probably comes a lot closer than a Mr. John McCain and many other politicians.

Loaded question?!?!?!?!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's about as loaded as "What newspapers do you read", and his answer was about as substantive as Palin's, though much more articulate.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 02:52:26 PM »

By "loaded" I don't mean "complex"
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2008, 02:58:09 PM »

Neither do I.

But unless he's not really serious about his faith, how is it a loaded question?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2008, 02:59:27 PM »

To everyone, if you haven't read the whole article I totally reccommend it. Even jamfest. It's a good read and the guy clearly comes off as a Christian.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2008, 03:00:50 PM »

Neither do I.

But unless he's not really serious about his faith, how is it a loaded question?

Well, first off, remember he doesn't think of things in yes or no terms.

Because it's deeply personal and depending on how he answers it, it could strongly affect the way people view him.  If he comes across as too strong, then it could turn people off.  If he comes across as to weak, he could come across as a non-believer.  These things are important and his brain is naturally clicking trying to avoid stepping on any toes (which he could have avoided with a simple yes).

All indications are that he is very serious about his faith, but whatevsky.  I don't care.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies