Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2014, 02:47:40 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Questions and Answers
| |-+  Presidential Election Process
| | |-+  Presidential Resignation?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Presidential Resignation?  (Read 15296 times)
??????????
StatesRights
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2008, 08:41:06 pm »
Ignore

Could anything stop a US president from running for a Congressional or Senate seat winning and then stepping down from POTUS? Outside of sheer unpopularity could anyone stop a president from doing this?
Mideast Assemblyman Ben
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 08:42:09 pm »
Ignore

Not that I know of, no.  Vice Presidents can do it; so I assume Presidents can as well.

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
??????????
StatesRights
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 08:43:19 pm »
Ignore

Not that I know of, no.  Vice Presidents can do it; so I assume Presidents can as well.

I can only imagine what the sheer uproar would be.
Mideast Assemblyman Ben
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 08:56:38 pm »
Ignore

I can only imagine what the sheer uproar would be.

Oh, it would raise hell, but there's nothing to prohibit it.

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 10:01:06 pm »
Ignore

I've always wondered what would happen if a President appointed himself CJ.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Erc
YaBB God
Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 12:57:44 pm »
Ignore

Tempting if a vacancy came up in the final months of one's administration.

Likely the Senate wouldn't approve of the shenanigans (unless, perhaps, Taft tried to pull that off).
dunn
YaBB God

P
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 01:08:08 pm »
Ignore

[(unless, perhaps, Taft tried to pull that off).

Taft was appointed mor then 8 years after his presidency. Anad was approved 60-4 in  the Senate

Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground - TR
J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 03:01:44 pm »
Ignore

He's never get confirmed.  Smiley

Serously, depending on the circumstances, I could understand a President running for Congress.

J. J.

"Actually, .. now that you mention it...." 
- Londo Molari

"Every government are parliaments of whores.
The trouble is, in a democracy the whores are us." - P. J. O'Rourke

"Wa sala, wa lala."

(Zulu for, "You snooze, you lose.")
WillK
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 03:27:50 pm »
Ignore

Could anything stop a US president from running for a Congressional or Senate seat winning and then stepping down from POTUS? Outside of sheer unpopularity could anyone stop a president from doing this?

There are two presidents who served in congress after having been president.  But both waited until after their term was done before doing so.

But would a sitting president meet the state residency requirements to be a congressperson?

Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 04:26:10 pm »
Ignore

There are two presidents who served in congress after having been president.  But both waited until after their term was done before doing so.

But would a sitting president meet the state residency requirements to be a congressperson?

Yes. They vote in their home states, for instance.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Erc
YaBB God
Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 06:13:58 pm »
Ignore

[(unless, perhaps, Taft tried to pull that off).

Taft was appointed mor then 8 years after his presidency. Anad was approved 60-4 in  the Senate

Sorry, meant if Taft (being actually qualified for the position) had tried to pull that off in early 1913 with the outgoing Republican (I believe) Senate.
WillK
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 09:23:20 am »
Ignore

Yes. They vote in their home states, for instance.

True.  I feel like an idiot for forgetting that. 
farewell
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 03:37:21 pm »
Ignore

At the end of their term... why the hell not?

In a midterm though... now that would be fun!

I may conceivably reconsider.

Knowing me it's more likely than not.
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 01:08:59 pm »
Ignore

This is a great question, especially because what the hell is Obama going to do after he is no longer president. He is only 47. Even serving two terms he will be 55. He could go right back to the Senate.

Clinton was younger...

Obama will probably do what they all do; make millions on a lecture tour and write a bad book or two.
Mideast Assemblyman Ben
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 01:48:27 pm »
Ignore

Obama will probably do what they all do; make millions on a lecture tour and write a bad book or two.

Hasn't he already done that?

Purple State
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 01:32:00 pm »
Ignore

Was going to say that. He has nothing else to do, nowhere to go.

Marokai/Purple Main Campaign Thread

Thank you to all our supporters!

Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 04:03:13 pm »
Ignore

just because he has already written a few books does not mean that he will find no profit in the writing of a post-presidential memoir.  more money is always good.

he could also whore himself out to a bunch of universities and make $1M an appearance.
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 08:44:22 pm »
Ignore

The what to do with an ex-President issue.  Personally, I would favor amending the Constitution so that former elected Presidents would have a lifetime Senate seat once their Presidential term had ended.  Might have made things interesting if both Clintons had been in the Senate.

Daily Reflections on the Revised Common Lectionary

Bible thumping kept to a minimum unless you go to sleep!
The below comic stars me!
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 02:59:32 pm »
Ignore

The what to do with an ex-President issue.  Personally, I would favor amending the Constitution so that former elected Presidents would have a lifetime Senate seat once their Presidential term had ended.  Might have made things interesting if both Clintons had been in the Senate.

But that has its own problems, since the Senate is a fairly small body and a few extra Senators could make a huge difference.

Update reading list

farewell
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 03:56:55 pm »
Ignore

But that has its own problems, since the Senate is a fairly small body and a few extra Senators could make a huge difference.
Make them take their state's junior senator's seat. Grin
Although lifetime is a very bad idea, as viz. Ronald Reagan's retirement. Up to age 70 or something would do.

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 11:40:52 am »
Ignore

Although lifetime is a very bad idea, as viz. Ronald Reagan's retirement. Up to age 70 or something would do.

I dare say that Reagan would not have been either the first or last senile Senator we had.  Besides, a mandatory age 70 retirement provision would gut about one-fifth of the Senate.  I'm certain that the GOP wouldn't mind an age 80 retirement provision, as that would currently mean 4 Democrats would have to go  (Byrd, Lautenberg, Inouye, and Akaka).

farewell
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 12:19:05 pm »
Ignore

I dare say that Reagan would not have been either the first or last senile Senator we had.  Besides, a mandatory age 70 retirement provision would gut about one-fifth of the Senate.  I'm certain that the GOP wouldn't mind an age 80 retirement provision, as that would currently mean 4 Democrats would have to go  (Byrd, Lautenberg, Inouye, and Akaka).
No, I meant only for the ex-Presidents. Who, unlike the Senators, do not need to face reelection.

Mideast Assemblyman Ben
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2009, 09:31:58 pm »
Ignore

Something I thought of for when a Vice President wins: the day after the election, the President should resign, so the Vice President can take office a few months early.

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2009, 10:10:42 pm »
Ignore

Supposedly in 1916 Wilson gave some thought to appointing Hughes as Secretary of State if Hughes won and then having himself and and VP Marshall resign so as to avoid having a lengthy lame duck period while the Great War was raging in Europe.  (Under the Presidential succession law then in place, the Speaker and the PPT of the Senate were not in succession.)  Might have made an interesting precedent.

Landslide Lyndon
px75
YaBB God
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -5.22

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2009, 07:02:41 am »
Ignore

I think he would be interested to serve at the Supreme Court. He was after all a constitutional law proffesor.
Wouldn't he become the first one to serve at the highest level of all three branches of government?
(President, U.S. Senator, Supreme Court Justice)

Bob Findley: "You're a real dyed-in-the-wool son-of-a-bitch. Anyone ever told you that?"
Steve Everett: "Just close friends and family,"

Clint Eastwood's "True Crime", 1999.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout