Presidential Resignation?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:00:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Presidential Resignation?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Presidential Resignation?  (Read 20760 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2008, 08:41:06 PM »

Could anything stop a US president from running for a Congressional or Senate seat winning and then stepping down from POTUS? Outside of sheer unpopularity could anyone stop a president from doing this?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 08:42:09 PM »

Not that I know of, no.  Vice Presidents can do it; so I assume Presidents can as well.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 08:43:19 PM »

Not that I know of, no.  Vice Presidents can do it; so I assume Presidents can as well.

I can only imagine what the sheer uproar would be.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 08:56:38 PM »

I can only imagine what the sheer uproar would be.

Oh, it would raise hell, but there's nothing to prohibit it.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 10:01:06 PM »

I've always wondered what would happen if a President appointed himself CJ.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 12:57:44 PM »

Tempting if a vacancy came up in the final months of one's administration.

Likely the Senate wouldn't approve of the shenanigans (unless, perhaps, Taft tried to pull that off).
dunn

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 01:08:08 PM »

[(unless, perhaps, Taft tried to pull that off).

Taft was appointed mor then 8 years after his presidency. Anad was approved 60-4 in  the Senate
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 03:01:44 PM »

He's never get confirmed.  Smiley

Serously, depending on the circumstances, I could understand a President running for Congress.
WillK

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 03:27:50 PM »

Could anything stop a US president from running for a Congressional or Senate seat winning and then stepping down from POTUS? Outside of sheer unpopularity could anyone stop a president from doing this?

There are two presidents who served in congress after having been president.  But both waited until after their term was done before doing so.

But would a sitting president meet the state residency requirements to be a congressperson?

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 04:26:10 PM »

There are two presidents who served in congress after having been president.  But both waited until after their term was done before doing so.

But would a sitting president meet the state residency requirements to be a congressperson?

Yes. They vote in their home states, for instance.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 06:13:58 PM »

[(unless, perhaps, Taft tried to pull that off).

Taft was appointed mor then 8 years after his presidency. Anad was approved 60-4 in  the Senate

Sorry, meant if Taft (being actually qualified for the position) had tried to pull that off in early 1913 with the outgoing Republican (I believe) Senate.
WillK

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 09:23:20 AM »

Yes. They vote in their home states, for instance.

True.  I feel like an idiot for forgetting that. 
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 03:37:21 PM »

At the end of their term... why the hell not?

In a midterm though... now that would be fun!
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 01:08:59 PM »

This is a great question, especially because what the hell is Obama going to do after he is no longer president. He is only 47. Even serving two terms he will be 55. He could go right back to the Senate.

Clinton was younger...

Obama will probably do what they all do; make millions on a lecture tour and write a bad book or two.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 01:48:27 PM »

Obama will probably do what they all do; make millions on a lecture tour and write a bad book or two.

Hasn't he already done that?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »

Was going to say that. He has nothing else to do, nowhere to go.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 04:03:13 PM »

just because he has already written a few books does not mean that he will find no profit in the writing of a post-presidential memoir.  more money is always good.

he could also whore himself out to a bunch of universities and make $1M an appearance.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 08:44:22 PM »

The what to do with an ex-President issue.  Personally, I would favor amending the Constitution so that former elected Presidents would have a lifetime Senate seat once their Presidential term had ended.  Might have made things interesting if both Clintons had been in the Senate.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 02:59:32 PM »

The what to do with an ex-President issue.  Personally, I would favor amending the Constitution so that former elected Presidents would have a lifetime Senate seat once their Presidential term had ended.  Might have made things interesting if both Clintons had been in the Senate.

But that has its own problems, since the Senate is a fairly small body and a few extra Senators could make a huge difference.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 03:56:55 PM »

But that has its own problems, since the Senate is a fairly small body and a few extra Senators could make a huge difference.
Make them take their state's junior senator's seat. Grin
Although lifetime is a very bad idea, as viz. Ronald Reagan's retirement. Up to age 70 or something would do.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 11:40:52 AM »

Although lifetime is a very bad idea, as viz. Ronald Reagan's retirement. Up to age 70 or something would do.

I dare say that Reagan would not have been either the first or last senile Senator we had.  Besides, a mandatory age 70 retirement provision would gut about one-fifth of the Senate.  I'm certain that the GOP wouldn't mind an age 80 retirement provision, as that would currently mean 4 Democrats would have to go  (Byrd, Lautenberg, Inouye, and Akaka).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 12:19:05 PM »

I dare say that Reagan would not have been either the first or last senile Senator we had.  Besides, a mandatory age 70 retirement provision would gut about one-fifth of the Senate.  I'm certain that the GOP wouldn't mind an age 80 retirement provision, as that would currently mean 4 Democrats would have to go  (Byrd, Lautenberg, Inouye, and Akaka).
No, I meant only for the ex-Presidents. Who, unlike the Senators, do not need to face reelection.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2009, 09:31:58 PM »

Something I thought of for when a Vice President wins: the day after the election, the President should resign, so the Vice President can take office a few months early.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2009, 10:10:42 PM »

Supposedly in 1916 Wilson gave some thought to appointing Hughes as Secretary of State if Hughes won and then having himself and and VP Marshall resign so as to avoid having a lengthy lame duck period while the Great War was raging in Europe.  (Under the Presidential succession law then in place, the Speaker and the PPT of the Senate were not in succession.)  Might have made an interesting precedent.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2009, 07:02:41 AM »

I think he would be interested to serve at the Supreme Court. He was after all a constitutional law proffesor.
Wouldn't he become the first one to serve at the highest level of all three branches of government?
(President, U.S. Senator, Supreme Court Justice)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies