Presidential Resignation? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:54:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Presidential Resignation? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Presidential Resignation?  (Read 20860 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: January 02, 2009, 08:44:22 PM »

The what to do with an ex-President issue.  Personally, I would favor amending the Constitution so that former elected Presidents would have a lifetime Senate seat once their Presidential term had ended.  Might have made things interesting if both Clintons had been in the Senate.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 11:40:52 AM »

The what to do with an ex-President issue.  Personally, I would favor amending the Constitution so that former elected Presidents would have a lifetime Senate seat once their Presidential term had ended.  Might have made things interesting if both Clintons had been in the Senate.

But that has its own problems, since the Senate is a fairly small body and a few extra Senators could make a huge difference.
Make them take their state's junior senator's seat. Grin
Although lifetime is a very bad idea, as viz. Ronald Reagan's retirement. Up to age 70 or something would do.

I dare say that Reagan would not have been either the first or last senile Senator we had.  Besides, a mandatory age 70 retirement provision would gut about one-fifth of the Senate.  I'm certain that the GOP wouldn't mind an age 80 retirement provision, as that would currently mean 4 Democrats would have to go  (Byrd, Lautenberg, Inouye, and Akaka).
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 10:10:42 PM »

Supposedly in 1916 Wilson gave some thought to appointing Hughes as Secretary of State if Hughes won and then having himself and and VP Marshall resign so as to avoid having a lengthy lame duck period while the Great War was raging in Europe.  (Under the Presidential succession law then in place, the Speaker and the PPT of the Senate were not in succession.)  Might have made an interesting precedent.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 08:36:15 AM »

Obama will probably do what they all do; make millions on a lecture tour and write a bad book or two.

Hasn't he already done that?

Was going to say that. He has nothing else to do, nowhere to go.

I think he would be interested to serve at the Supreme Court. He was after all a constitutional law proffesor.
Wouldn't he become the first one to serve at the highest level of all three branches of government?
(President, U.S. Senator, Supreme Court Justice)

He would be, and he would be an interesting counterpoint to Justice Thomas.  One Justice who could speak eloquently from the bench, and another who doesn't speak.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 08:18:17 PM »

If Mrs. Clinton had won, then Bush and Cheaney should have resigned before the end of their term as to make Pelosi the firs female President, just to annoy the Democrats.

Since she'd have to give up her seat in the House, I can't see Pelosi accepting the Presidency for just a few weeks.  If that had happened, we'd have ended up with either President Byrd or President Rice.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 05:29:55 PM »

If Mrs. Clinton had won, then Bush and Cheaney should have resigned before the end of their term as to make Pelosi the firs female President, just to annoy the Democrats.

Since she'd have to give up her seat in the House, I can't see Pelosi accepting the Presidency for just a few weeks.  If that had happened, we'd have ended up with either President Byrd or President Rice.
If Bush and Cheney had resigned before Jan 3, she could simply have waited to take her oath of office for her new term after January 20.  Or if after January 3, she could have run in the special election.

While Pelosi would likely be able to get her House seat back, I'd be less sanguine about her getting the Speakership back.  She might have done so if Bush and Cheney had left office legitimately, but not under what would be a political stunt.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies