Huntsman Jr. getting a bit 'o blog buzz
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:31:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Huntsman Jr. getting a bit 'o blog buzz
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Would he be a decent nominee?
Yeah

Nah

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Huntsman Jr. getting a bit 'o blog buzz  (Read 5112 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2008, 10:00:08 PM »

I was a strong advocate and wrote up a mini-essay on why Huntsman Jr. was the ideal VP choice for John McCain, but I suppose choosing another Mormon was a bit too insulting for Romney.  The guy seems authentic, can speak about the issues, and has a compelling, modern biography.

Here's JMart's post on the subject, with my bolded emphasis:

He was an early supporter of John McCain and won some initial veep buzz before falling off the radar to run his own breeze of a re-election campaign.

But to chat with him here at the RGA and then see him address a room full of reporters, it seems that Utah Gov. Jon M. Huntsman Jr may very well be in the presidential mix in 2012.

Huntsman, 48, cuts an impressive figure and has a fascinating personal and political story to tell, including the sort of foreign policy background most governors lack.   The scion of a prominent Mormon family, he served as U.S. Ambassador to Singapore for Bush 41 when he was in his early 30s, did trade stints in the Commerce Department and was a Deputy U.S. Trade Representative under the current Bush, overseeing trade with Africa and Asia.

Fluent in Mandarin Chinese
-- a few words of which he put on display to an unexpectant press corps -- Huntsman is the father of seven, including two adopted girls from China and India.

As any Utah governor would be, Huntsman is in line with the GOP base on social issues.  But he takes a more centrist tack on the environment, and had some blunt words for his party on an issue he believes is hurting them with younger voters.

"We as Republicans can’t shy away from speaking the word environment and we shouldn’t shy away from speaking the words climate change," Huntsman told reporters at a press conference this afternoon.  "When you’ve got a body of science that already is rendering certain judgements about what is happening in our world, for us to shy away, say it doesn’t matter as an issue, I think is foolhardy, it’s short-sighted and it’s bound to do us damage in the longer-term."

Huntsman also talked fluently about education, energy and health care, making the case, as many of his fellow governors have, that the GOP needs to come up with practical solutions on such day-to-day concerns.

He said the party must look at the results of last week's election, and make changes to stay relevant.

"We’re fundamentally staring down a demographic shift that we’ve never seen before in America,"
Huntsman said.

Asked about a potential White House ambitions in a brief interview, Huntsman offered the usual non-denials but conceded he wanted to be part of the GOP's coming conversation about how to rebuild.

"I think most of us are interested in being part of the policy debate that's going to re-energize the party," he said.   

Now in his second term, Huntsman said he would not seek re-election in 2012.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 10:06:43 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2008, 10:09:59 PM by Lunar »

Huntsman Jr. would have access to a lot of money from from the Mormon social network.   He'd be like a more authentic Romney, more familiar with the Utah machine, but without the immense personal wealth.  I'd say that Huntsman would have a very large initial fundraising base before he even gave a single speech.

And he's not running for reelection in '12, so he's clearly eying a run or a potential cabinet spot or retirement.

Also, remember that there are a few electorates in the early primary states, Wyoming, Nevada, and New Hampshire, which are not likely to be particularly anti-Mormon.  He'd have a decent shot at Iowa and Florida if his opponents natural electorates were divided between multiple contenders as well.  South Carolina would be hard.

I'm a Huntsman booster.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 10:09:54 PM »

Yeah, he seems like a Romney without Romney's negatives.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 10:10:21 PM »

Why do you call him "Huntsman Jr." rather than just "Huntsman"?  I know his father is a prominent businessman, but only the son is in politics, and it's pretty obvious when you say "Huntsman" with regard to potential 2012 presidential candidates that you're referring to the current governor of Utah, not his father.

I mean, no one calls Barack Obama "Obama Jr.", so why do the same here?

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 10:13:18 PM »

Why do you call him "Huntsman Jr." rather than just "Huntsman"?  I know his father is a prominent businessman, but only the son is in politics, and it's pretty obvious when you say "Huntsman" with regard to potential 2012 presidential candidates that you're referring to the current governor of Utah, not his father.

Huntsman Sr. is still alive.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 10:17:14 PM »

That's his formal name.  I don't know, I call people by how they like to be called unless I'm being snarky.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 10:18:39 PM »

So?  No one called our former vice president "Gore Jr.", though his father was alive until 1998.

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 10:20:37 PM »

That's his formal name.  I don't know, I call people by how they like to be called unless I'm being snarky.

Does he really go by that?  Do people in Utah actually call him "Governor Huntsman Jr."?

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 10:21:45 PM »

He's a Republican I could support, if Obama has a really bad 1st term.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 10:22:59 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2008, 10:27:20 PM by Lunar »

So?  No one called our former vice president "Gore Jr.", though his father was alive until 1998.

Well, the media constantly uses the "Jr." and even the wikipedia entry has it.  So, at some level, we have to assume that he prefers the Junior.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Huntsman,_Jr.

Even Jon Huntsman Jr.'s website uses the Jr. in its homepage title, if you just google for "Jon Huntsman" so I have no idea what you're getting at here.  Google it, c'mon. Smiley

http://www.utah.gov/governor/index.html
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 10:28:41 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2008, 10:30:36 PM by TCash101 »

Obama's father is dead, so he should not use "Jr." Is Huntsman's father still alive?

EDIT: I see he is and is certainly "man about town" in his own right. So, his son should definitely use "Jr." Can't disrespect Dad.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 10:34:19 PM »

Obama's father is dead, so he should not use "Jr." Is Huntsman's father still alive?

EDIT: I see he is and is certainly "man about town" in his own right. So, his son should definitely use "Jr." Can't disrespect Dad.

Yes, though as I said, Al Gore Jr.'s father was alive until 1998, and people still just referred to him as "Gore" when his father was still alive.  If Huntsman actually goes by "Huntsman Jr.", then OK, but I was just remarking that it sounds kind of weird to hear <LAST NAME> Jr., when it's pretty clear which member of the family you're talking about without adding the junior.  Anyway, I didn't mean to be accusatory against Lunar, it just made no sense to me at the time.

paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 12:06:27 AM »
« Edited: November 13, 2008, 12:16:57 AM by paul718 »

The only similarity between Huntsman and Romney is their religion.  Economic credentials are hard to come by and almost no one can offer what Romney can.  If the economy is still issue #1 in four years, I'm sticking with Romney.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 12:32:07 AM »

Yes, though as I said, Al Gore Jr.'s father was alive until 1998, and people still just referred to him as "Gore" when his father was still alive.  If Huntsman actually goes by "Huntsman Jr.", then OK, but I was just remarking that it sounds kind of weird to hear <LAST NAME> Jr., when it's pretty clear which member of the family you're talking about without adding the junior.  Anyway, I didn't mean to be accusatory against Lunar, it just made no sense to me at the time.

When he became "Vice President Gore", that was true. When he was Senator here, the "Jr" was pretty typical.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 02:01:48 AM »

For what it's worth, Huntsman is one of my favorite Republicans.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 04:16:19 AM »

I don't know much about him, but I like his biography (speaks Chinese fluently + two adopted daughters + seems relatively principled).

He wouldn't win and he might not be the right direction for the GOP right now, but perhaps he could and is.  It all depends if he can come up with some resonating non-cultural ideas to challenge an Obama weakness.  A Hispanic Bobby Jindal would be ideal.

Romney left a bad taste in the media's and political junkies' collective mouths though, perhaps that might stain the next Mormon Governor's attempt at the presidency?
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 09:36:37 AM »

For what it's worth, Huntsman is one of my favorite Republicans.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 09:54:03 AM »

I think he'd be a very good nominee for the Republicans.

He's conservative, but not batsh**t crazy like many Republicans.

Even if he loses, I think he could get the party back on track.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 01:52:42 AM »

Look him up on youtube.  He isn't very impressive on the stump.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 02:02:56 AM »

Yay, we win Utah! Seriously, can we nominate someone that can be advantageous electorally like Crist, Pawlenty??
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 05:23:22 AM »

Look him up on youtube.  He isn't very impressive on the stump.

Whilst this might be true, Huntsman might be the man the GOP needs in 2012, even if they go down in defeat. However, saying this, I wouldn't be surprised if in 2012 he is selected as a running mate for a candidate along the lines of Gingrich.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 10:22:31 AM »

Yay, we win Utah! Seriously, can we nominate someone that can be advantageous electorally like Crist, Pawlenty??

Isn't it best to find the best candidate?  I mean, it's sort of ironic that John Edwards would have had no chance in hell at North Carolina but Barack Obama, from Illinois, did.
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 10:57:03 AM »

The republicans need to nominate a moderate.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 08:24:26 PM »

http://www.politico.com/blogs/scorecard/1108/Utah_governor_critical_of_GOP.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2008, 08:28:47 PM »

The republicans need to nominate a moderate.

Not going to happen during this ever lasting heatwave which has engulfed the Republican Party. No candidate that cannot survive in this warm climate, for example moderate Republicans (I think they're on the verge of extinction) will ever become king of the kingdom.

Anywho, I wouldn't be surprised if Governor Hunstman runs for the nomination in 2012 and ultimately loses the nomination to a conservative, think former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich. Nor would I be surprised for that matter, if Governor Huntsman was selected as a running mate for a candidate along the lines of Newt.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies