Obama looks to make immediate impact once in office.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:06:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Obama looks to make immediate impact once in office.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Obama looks to make immediate impact once in office.  (Read 4859 times)
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2008, 01:33:10 PM »

ah, so that is the "Change" he wants to implement - he's gonna go straight at the moral issues: destruction of embryos, abortion, homosexuality.

who would have guessed?!
Stem cell research is a moral issue to far fewer people than is people dying of curable diseases.  Health care is a major part of President-elect Obama's platform.

I see no evidence of action on the second two issues you mention.
The AP notes "Presidents long have used executive orders to impose policy and set priorities. One of Bush's first acts was to reinstate full abortion restrictions on US overseas aid."

Obama is not Bush, last I knew.  Provide evidence that Obama is considering equal and opposite action, and then we'll discuss.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2008, 01:35:45 PM »

Wonder how soon it will take us to find out whether the culture wars are still alive and well [qm]
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2008, 01:38:45 PM »

What President-elect doesn't look forward to making an immediate impact once in office?
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2008, 01:40:07 PM »

ah, so that is the "Change" he wants to implement - he's gonna go straight at the moral issues: destruction of embryos, abortion, homosexuality.

who would have guessed?!

Stem cell research is a moral issue to far fewer people than is people dying of curable diseases.  Health care is a major part of President-elect Obama's platform.

Adult stem cells are just as effective as the ones gotten from murdering babies.

Actually they're not. And I say this as a Biochemist with a background in stem cells.

But since reason doesn't work with you, as displayed by your views of Europe, a continent you've never set foot on, I'll leave you to wallow in your ignorance.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2008, 01:57:11 PM »

Unfortunately, Iosif, States is mostly right.  Scientists have now learned how to turn adult cells into the equivelent of embyronic stem cells, leading to customizing treatments for the person in need.  Here's a few articles regarding the topic:

US News & World Report: A Stem Cell Victory

"Known by the rather clunky name "induced pluripotent stem cells," the new creations look and behave like embryonic stem cells taken from seven-day-old embryos; both are able to turn into any type of cell in the body—skin, heart, liver, nerve, you name it. Even better, iPS cells' DNA matches that of the person who provides the skin, which is crucial if the cells are to be used to replace that person's own destroyed or damaged tissue. To date, intense efforts in the United States and around the world to make such genetically matched stem cells through cloning, an alternative approach, have failed miserably."

Wired: Stem Cell Breakthrough is like 'Turning Lead into Gold'

"Scientists have hailed embryonic stem cells as one of the most promising research fields in medicine, saying they could lead to myriad therapies. But currently, many stem cells are derived from embryos, which is a lightning rod issue that crosses political and religious lines. The new technique could sidestep ethical issues involving the destruction of embryos and collection of human eggs."

No, it's not perfect, but it serves the same purpose as embryonic stem cells (a field that has yet to live up to its hype as well).  Plus, it is more promising since the idea of developing cures specifically designed for the patient has been the focus of a lot of research in the past decade.  What better way than using a persons own genes to achieve the cure?  There would be no need to find donors that match your own genetic requirements when you can use your own skin cells to repair the damage or grow your own replacement.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2008, 02:02:28 PM »

Thank you MODU. That's what I was referring to when I posted my comment. And Iosif, grow up and quit looking like the asshole you are.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2008, 02:43:29 PM »

Weren't morality initiatives relatively successful on Tuesday?

Actually, no, they weren't. The anti-abortion ones got defeated, even in conservative places.

Gay marriage continues to be banned whenever it comes up for a vote, but that's always been beyond the tolerance of the majority of the country. It's not socially conservative, it's the mainstream view. I don't consider it a reflection of bigotry on the part of most people, just a lack of imagination and empathy. Plenty of people aren't comfortable with gay marriage but don't take the next step of harping on gays, opposing anti-discrimination laws, or opposing adoption by gays. (Arkansas voted that way, which you could call a victory for social conservatism in that state; big whoop.) The congressional sponsor of the Federal Marriage Amendment in the House, meanwhile, got turfed out of her seat.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2008, 03:21:41 PM »

who would have guessed?!

The AP notes "Presidents long have used executive orders to impose policy and set priorities. One of Bush's first acts was to reinstate full abortion restrictions on US overseas aid."

Obama is not Bush, last I knew.  Provide evidence that Obama is considering equal and opposite action, and then we'll discuss.

guess we'll have to wait for the first week of the presidency of a person whose morality includes considering children as "punishment" instead of what they really are: "an inheritance from God"
Nutmeg
thepolitic

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2008, 04:43:02 PM »

who would have guessed?!

guess we'll have to wait for the first week of the presidency of a person whose morality includes considering children as "punishment" instead of what they really are: "an inheritance from God"

Ok.

Now how about his executive order mandating universal homosexuality?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2008, 05:51:45 PM »

who would have guessed?!

Abortion bans and restrictions were defeated across the country last Tuesday, from liberal California to conservative South Dakota. Again, Obama is in the mainstream on this issue.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2008, 05:58:45 PM »

The Freedom of Choice Act is no where near "mainstream".
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2008, 01:22:21 PM »

It's gonna be a weird having a president who actually does smart things
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2008, 02:32:19 PM »

It's gonna be a weird having a president who actually does smart things

Yeah, like raise taxes during a recession.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2008, 04:01:07 PM »

He is looking at all the Bush policies and is deciding which ones can stay on the books and which ones need to be repealed.
All of them, Barry, all of them.

Save the protection of the northwest Hawaiian islands and the creation of Congaree and Great Sand Dunes National Parks.  There must be something else good to come out of the last eight years, but nothing comes to mind right now.

Nutmeg, absolutely.  You know how I always try to find the good things Presidents have done.  And I've had no trouble -- even with the ones I really disliked, such as Reagan and Nixon.  I can find many positive accomplishments that made our country and the world a better place.

With Bush...you cited the only two I can think of.  Although I think perhaps -- when baby brother was running for re-election in Florida -- he also signed a pretty tough Everglades Protection bill or something like that.    But beyond this, I'm mute.  Can't think of a damn thing.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2008, 05:34:32 PM »

What about the most aggressive AIDs fight in Africa that any president has done?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2008, 05:38:12 PM »

What about the most aggressive AIDs fight in Africa that any president has done?
^^^

Add this one to the list JS. Africans love Bush apparently. Good for him, something has to help him sleep at night. 
Nutmeg
thepolitic

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2008, 09:01:29 PM »

He is looking at all the Bush policies and is deciding which ones can stay on the books and which ones need to be repealed.
All of them, Barry, all of them.
Save the protection of the northwest Hawaiian islands and the creation of Congaree and Great Sand Dunes National Parks.  There must be something else good to come out of the last eight years, but nothing comes to mind right now.
Nutmeg, absolutely.  You know how I always try to find the good things Presidents have done.  And I've had no trouble -- even with the ones I really disliked, such as Reagan and Nixon.  I can find many positive accomplishments that made our country and the world a better place.

With Bush...you cited the only two I can think of.  Although I think perhaps -- when baby brother was running for re-election in Florida -- he also signed a pretty tough Everglades Protection bill or something like that.    But beyond this, I'm mute.  Can't think of a damn thing.

I wasn't being entirely serious that that those were the only good things, but you've caused me to reconsider this topic.  Can we think of any other good things?

So far we have:
- protection of NW Hawaiian islands
- Congaree NP
- Great Sand Dunes NP
- Everglades protection
- As StatesRights mentioned, AIDS work in Africa

I'd add:
- Increased funding to clean up brownfields
- Allocated funding to cleanup of Great Lakes
- Increased funding for National Science Foundation and NIH
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2008, 11:13:56 AM »

^^^

Add this one to the list JS. Africans love Bush apparently. Good for him, something has to help him sleep at night. 

I did, originally.  Unfortunately, much of the "relief" was gutted of any substance when The Decider and/or his supporters removed family planning and contraceptives from the picture.  The just say no approach seems to be working really well...

I really WANTED to believe he was serious about this.  Of course, I wanted to believe he was serious about No Child Left Behind, too.  That one turned out to be a cold turd, also.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2008, 11:17:35 AM »

Yes, Bush obviously doesn't care about the poor Africans because he has a fundametal disagreement about family planning funding. Same with the Catholic Church that still sends millions in aid (including man power) to the continent every year. They really don't care. What a bunch of heartless fascists.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2008, 11:38:05 AM »

Putting the word "fascist" in someone else's mouth = fail.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2008, 01:02:03 PM »

Putting the word "fascist" in someone else's mouth = fail.

Constantly hinting that we're heartless authoritarians = bigger fail.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2008, 05:26:45 PM »

Adult stem cells are just as effective as the ones gotten from murdering babies.

Those babies are going to get murdered anyway.  Might as well use them to save a life rather than throw them in the trash can.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies