Sen. Clinton considered for top diplomat: report
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:03:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Sen. Clinton considered for top diplomat: report
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Sen. Clinton considered for top diplomat: report  (Read 3670 times)
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2008, 04:16:50 PM »

Would there be conflicts of interest with all the international "work" Bill is doing? Wasn't there some miniscandal about his lobbying on behalf of foreign governments- something about election machines or something?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »

The Huffington Post says that the offer was made and that Clinton is considering it. Obviously, this should be taken with a Drudge sized lump of salt though...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/14/clinton-met-with-obama-ab_n_143810.html

True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2008, 04:25:15 PM »

Maybe Obama really is going for a Lincoln-esque Cabinet.  McCain for Defense? Wink
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2008, 04:29:39 PM »

Maybe Obama really is going for a Lincoln-esque Cabinet.  McCain for Defense? Wink

No, their views are just too divergent.  However, John McCain might well be a guy who could serve as a roving ambassador or a key point man on a particular issue.

I would love to see Obama use McCain and possibly Tom Coburn (whose social views I find exceedingly dangerous) to spearhead a bipartisan approach to spending cuts.  I think these are men, along with one or two key Democrats, who could make a difference in reducing the number of "bridges to nowhere" and studies of animal flatulence.

Note that I am very pro-spending.  But some of what we do is just stupid.  And other spending is better reserved for more prosperous times.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2008, 04:37:23 PM »

Interesting. I knew she'd get offered a Cabinet Position...not Secretary of State though.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2008, 06:01:10 PM »

West Wing parallels continue, sort of
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2008, 07:04:07 PM »

Most importantly: How would the folks on "Hillary is 44" react?? Cheesy
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2008, 07:48:46 PM »

I think this is a smart move politically for Obama, supposing he can handle any backstabbing.

Richardson would have been a nice choice for 2012 Hispanic outreach, but making good with them blue collar Hillary supporters obviously outweighs that.

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2008, 11:22:22 PM »

Senator Clinton would make a fine Secretary of State, as would a number of other possibilities.  Certainly Senator Clinton still has much to give her country, whether she does so as Senator or SecState.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2008, 11:35:31 PM »

I'm not too sure about this.

Whilst it is indeed an excellent political move made by the President-elect, it was one I believe that he shouldn't have made. Sure Senator Clinton would make a fine Secretary of State, if she was to be selected, and how such a move could potentially heal the wounds created by the bitter 2008 primary campaign between the two Senators but I find their to be far superior selections than Senator Clinton the President-elect can make for the coveted position. Senator Lugar, Governor Richardson and former Ambassador Holbrooke would be better selections the President-elect could make.
MR maverick
MR politics
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2008, 12:34:39 AM »

Hillary Clinton didn't become a senator just to be a senator for the rest of her career.

After losing the primary battle iam sure she wants to be apart of this democratic admin in someway ( she wanted VP)  Like I said before this looks like all the same people Hillary would have put together 31 of the 47.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2008, 12:34:48 AM »

West Wing parallels continue, sort of

Yeah, it's really kind of scary.

He can still personally regret investing his support in someone who makes poor decisions (in his opinion).
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2008, 04:07:43 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2008, 04:24:53 PM by Ogre Mage »

Based on my readings, this story is real.  Previously, the top 3 under consideration for SoS were John Kerry, Bill Richardson and Chuck Hagel.  Rumor has it that the reaction within Obama's transition team and Democratic foreign policy circles in D.C. was lukewarm and now the list has expanded to include Clinton.  She may not get it, but in my estimation she is being considered very seriously.

The Clinton brand is very popular internationally and Hillary would bring a unique stature to this job given her connections with international political elite as well as her fame with the masses.  If I were Russia or Iran, however, I would feel a bit nervous about this development.  To have to sit across the negotiation table from SoS Hillary Clinton?  LOL.

If the offer is real, Hillary has a tough choice to make.  Does she want to be a senator for life and maintain her independence or serve in the highest ranking, most prestigious position in President Obama's cabinet?
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2008, 04:18:38 PM »

Oh nooo. If Hillary becomes Sec. of State, who will fight to get federal money for NY's Woodstock museum?Huh
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2008, 04:20:55 PM »

Oh nooo. If Hillary becomes Sec. of State, who will fight to get federal money for NY's Woodstock museum?Huh

wasn't that Schumer?
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2008, 04:31:57 PM »

wasn't that Schumer?

both
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies