The Rebuilding of the Republican party in both Houses of Congress?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:16:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Rebuilding of the Republican party in both Houses of Congress?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Rebuilding of the Republican party in both Houses of Congress?  (Read 1867 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2008, 11:38:44 PM »

I wonder what course the rebuilding of the Republican Party in Congress will take?

First off in the house since the Republican leadership here sees the most screwed up.

. I think it's pretty certain at least in my opinion that both John Boehner and Roy Blunt will be sacked for someone else but who?

Perhaps for Minority Leader

Paul Ryan(R-WI)
Eric Cantor(R-VA)
Mike Pence(R-IN)

Minority Whip

Paul Ryan(R-WI)
Eric Cantor(R-VA)
Adam Putnam(R-FL)
Jeff Flake(R-AZ)

The Senate Republican Leadership seems better in it's current state then the House's, however I think Kyl would make a better Minority Leader then McConnell.

So what does everyone think in regards to this matter?

Daniel Z
Switzerland

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 11:42:15 PM »

Pence for minority leader and Ryan for whip.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 11:43:57 PM »

Pence - Ryan for me.

We can only hope that Boehner and Blunt (and even McConnell in the Senate) are booted. I doubt Mitch is removed though.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 11:56:09 PM »

Does Mel Martinez have any real standing?

Need some non-white male faces up there, if possible..
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 11:57:33 PM »

Does Mel Martinez have any real standing?

We're looking for improvement.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 12:17:32 AM »

Pence - Ryan for me.

We can only hope that Boehner and Blunt (and even McConnell in the Senate) are booted. I doubt Mitch is removed though.

You should remove the first two, immediately, but Mitch is the Republican party's saving grace over the next couple of years.  You should love him immediately for the crap he'll be able to do to Reid
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 12:32:16 AM »

Paul Ryan(R-WI)
Eric Cantor(R-VA)
Mike Pence(R-IN)

This is the buzz actually. My congressman on Hugh Hewitt said the above was what he was pushing for, particularly Ryan. Boehner has to go. I like my used car dealer congressman more and more. Obama carried CD-48, and it was a cold shower.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 02:34:25 AM »

I heard on the radio today that it's looking like neither will be challenged, but it's early.  Now is not the time for complacency from them.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 04:54:32 AM »

It would be awesome to have Specter as Minority Leader but it would never happen.  In reality though, Specter, Snowe, Collins, and the other moderate Republicans are probably going to end up being far more powerful than McConnell and Reid.  Obama & Reid need to engage the moderate Republicans ASAP if they hope to achieve anything in the Senate.

The GOP Senate whip is going to have one of the worst jobs in Congress probably.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 06:18:37 PM »

I hear Eric Cantor is running for Minority Whip and that Adam Putnam is stepping down. Cantor didn't even wait to find out if Blunt was running again before he announced. That leaves Mike Pence to take on Boehner in a rematch. Pence will be much more effective than a dried up old Tobacco henchmen like Boehner. Pence would have a much better shot than he did last time, especially since Cantor isn't running for the same job. I also beleive that most of the congresspeople who lost or retired were people who voted for Boehner while many of Pence's supporters are in Conservative districts, younger, and were reelected. I also think Pence being much younger and newer(elected in 2000) would have a better chance appealing to the new freshmen like Erik PAulsen and Tom McClintock(if he wins). 
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 06:20:10 PM »

I hear Eric Cantor is running for Minority Whip and that Adam Putnam is stepping down. Cantor didn't even wait to find out if Blunt was running again before he announced. That leaves Mike Pence to take on Boehner in a rematch. Pence will be much more effective than a dried up old Tobacco henchmen like Boehner. Pence would have a much better shot than he did last time, especially since Cantor isn't running for the same job. I also beleive that most of the congresspeople who lost or retired were people who voted for Boehner while many of Pence's supporters are in Conservative districts, younger, and were reelected. I also think Pence being much younger and newer(elected in 2000) would have a better chance appealing to the new freshmen like Erik PAulsen and Tom McClintock(if he wins). 

From what I've read, Paul Ryan is also interested in Minority Leader.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 06:22:36 PM »
« Edited: November 06, 2008, 06:26:23 PM by Torie »

Ryan is supposed to be a smoother performer on the tube. Pence is a bit more well, you know, on a mission to save the planet from hell.

Edit: Oh dear. Ryan has a Chicago accent!  F him!  That just won't do at all.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 07:26:08 PM »

I like Ryan a lot. But I would prefer Pence. Pence was outspoken against the out of control spending under the Republican watch and thus he is not connected to Hastert/Delay etc. Ryan on the other hand prefered to keep his mouth shut to work his way up then institute reforms(not a bad strategy either). In reality Ryan and Pence are a lot alike, but I think Pence is more convincing since he stood up to the old GOP Guard. The fight for the Congressional Majorities has changed. You have got to get your message out and I think Pence is the only one who could break the connection, in the eyes of voters, between Delay and the House Republicans. Pence also said in 2006 that either he or another GOP congressmen who hit the TV show ciircuit(Meet the Press, Fox News Sunday, C-Span) to get the message out if elected as leader.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 09:20:17 PM »

According to this article Blunt and Putnam are stepping aside. Cantor will replace Blunt. Pence will replace Putnam. Boehner is appearently running again. Under these circumstances I will then endorse and encourage Ryan fo Minority Leader cause I can't stand Boehner.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/11/06/politics/main4577999.shtml

If Ryan Challenges and Boehner and wins this will be the leadership team

Paul Ryan(R-WI)-Minority Leader (Elected 1998)
Eric Cantor(R-VA)-Minority Whip   (Elected in special election 1999)
Mike Pence(R-IN)-Conference Chair  (Elected in 2000)

Thats a nice leadership team. They also follow the rules of senority, The only reason I think that Boehner recruited Pence for Conference Chair was to save his own hide from being challenged by him and thus admits to his growing power in the House GOP. Boehner is also trying to convince reformers he is one of them. Yea in a pigs ass.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 10:16:24 PM »

Let's go Ryan!
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 10:54:16 PM »

Fox said Ryan is deciding against it after testing the waters/counting the votes.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 08:57:45 AM »

Fox said Ryan is deciding against it after testing the waters/counting the votes.

That's really too bad. I want the 40-somethings to step up across the board.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 10:10:35 PM »

Oh come on. How are we ever going to get this party back on its feet with Boehner. We might see a mass pull out of Finanicial support if he gets reelected Minority leader.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 01:46:29 AM »

Oh come on. How are we ever going to get this party back on its feet with Boehner. We might see a mass pull out of Finanicial support if he gets reelected Minority leader.

Yes I agree Boehner has got to go.

However no one is stepping up to challenge him.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 09:29:58 AM »

Boehner is nearly 60 years old. He's most emphatically not what I had in mind!
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008, 03:59:44 PM »

Paul Ryan is out due to wanting to keep time available for his family and young children.

Dan Lungren announced that he's challenging Boehner today.  Any thoughts on him?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies