South Carolina Priest: No communion for Obama supporters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:13:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  South Carolina Priest: No communion for Obama supporters
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: South Carolina Priest: No communion for Obama supporters  (Read 4100 times)
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 13, 2008, 11:21:48 PM »

A South Carolina Roman Catholic priest has told his parishioners that they should refrain from receiving Holy Communion if they voted for Barack Obama because the Democratic president-elect supports abortion, and supporting him "constitutes material cooperation with intrinsic evil."

The Rev. Jay Scott Newman said in a letter distributed Sunday to parishioners at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Greenville that they are putting their souls at risk if they take Holy Communion before doing penance for their vote.

"Our nation has chosen for its chief executive the most radical pro-abortion politician ever to serve in the United States Senate or to run for president," Newman wrote, referring to Obama by his full name, including his middle name of Hussein.

"Voting for a pro-abortion politician when a plausible pro-life alternative exits constitutes material cooperation with intrinsic evil, and those Catholics who do so place themselves outside of the full communion of Christ's Church and under the judgment of divine law. Persons in this condition should not receive Holy Communion until and unless they are reconciled to God in the Sacrament of Penance, lest they eat and drink their own condemnation."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27705755/?gt1=43001

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 11:22:30 PM »

Seems reasonable to me.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 11:26:59 PM »

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 11:30:09 PM »

Wow, looks like someone's angry.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 11:32:35 PM »

I'm not Catholic. Smiley
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 11:48:00 PM »

Catholicism is no longer relevant. It needs to done away with.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 12:18:50 AM »

Not showing much love for the first Catholic veep.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 12:37:26 AM »

I hate when so-called catholics destroy my religion. The Church should force him to choose between politics and religion. We had a priest in the parliament and Vatican forced him to choose between the two. Same should happen. 
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 12:48:05 AM »

I hope the IRS screws this guy sideways. They won't though. They're too chickensh!t to go after the institutions that pay them zero dollars.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 12:51:12 AM »

I hate when so-called catholics destroy my religion. The Church should force him to choose between politics and religion. We had a priest in the parliament and Vatican forced him to choose between the two. Same should happen. 

Who was he?

Priests have served politically in the past. For instance, Ludwig Kaas, one of the most important men in early 1930s Germany, was ordained.
LanceMcSteel

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 01:32:18 AM »

Religion is the opiate of the masses.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 02:19:42 AM »
« Edited: November 14, 2008, 02:21:13 AM by Verily »

Who was he?

Priests have served politically in the past. For instance, Ludwig Kaas, one of the most important men in early 1930s Germany, was ordained.

Raymond Gravel, the former gay prostitute turned Catholic priest who was elected as a Bloc MP in a by-election last year in 2006, then stood down for the election this year. Of course, the church was none too happy with him for his past, anyway. Wikipedia suggests that he was forced to choose between the priesthood and politics precisely because of his particularly strong pro-abortion views.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Gravel
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 02:25:57 AM »

Oh, what is it with politicans named Gravel... Tongue
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 02:36:29 AM »

Wonderful! My church has gone on night raids of members suspected of voting for "that one" and properly punished the perpetrators.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 10:42:06 AM »

Wonderful! My church has gone on night raids of members suspected of voting for "that one" and properly punished the perpetrators.

What is the name of your church? The IRS may need a call.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 10:48:13 AM »

Yes. I hope this dude hears from the IRS.

Anyways, the typical Catholic response should be- "If you support pro-choice candidates and causes, we will molest your children". Tongue
Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: 9.48

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 10:52:47 AM »

I'm not a Catholic nor an Obama supporter so - Ah well.

But still, kinda expected.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 01:39:44 PM »

Ridiculous
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 02:50:57 PM »

I am quite confident this priest does not reflect Catholic doctrine on this and is rogue, and he needs to be slapped down.

What does agitate the powers that be is if a Catholic in public advocates making or keeping abortion legal, thereby creating a "public scandal," which is kind of a quaint way of saying that it is disrespectful of the Church to at once claim one is Catholic, and then advocate public policies inimical to its most fundamental principles, aka kind of a copyright violation really. 
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 03:55:08 PM »

While the priest shouldn't refuse communion, anti-Catholicism has to be the most acceptable form of bigotry in the 'West.' This thread certainly backs up my claim.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008, 04:10:03 PM »

Consistency has been called the hobgoblin of small minds.  And that may be the case sometimes, but not...uhhhh...consistently.  :-)

In other worse, a dose of consistency would earn this particular clergyman my respect.  If the church's teachings on the Sanctity of Hunman Life are so absolute and essential to faith as to be salvific, then consistency demands that church teachings about divorce, racism, war, pollution of the environment, the death penalty, contraceptives and poverty be equally elevated to communal issues.

Were I a Catholic priest, it would never occur to me to deny the sacrament to someone who voted for John McCain or any other candidate who advocated policies that oppose Catholic teaching and morality.  The same should be true for those who voted for Obama, who also advocates decidedly non-Catholic ideas.

Pluralism is a tricky thing, inside the church as well as out.

I am glad this minister is atypical.  Most of my Catholic brothers and sisters "get it".
Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: 9.48

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2008, 04:11:16 PM »

Consistency has been called the hobgoblin of small minds.  And that may be the case sometimes, but not...uhhhh...consistently.  :-)

In other worse, a dose of consistency would earn this particular clergyman my respect.  If the church's teachings on the Sanctity of Hunman Life are so absolute and essential to faith as to be salvific, then consistency demands that church teachings about divorce, racism, war, pollution of the environment, the death penalty, contraceptives and poverty be equally elevated to communal issues.

Were I a Catholic priest, it would never occur to me to deny the sacrament to someone who voted for John McCain or any other candidate who advocated policies that oppose Catholic teaching and morality.  The same should be true for those who voted for Obama, who also advocates decidedly non-Catholic ideas.

I am glad this minister is atypical.  Most of my Catholic brothers and sisters "get it".

Wait, you're actually a Catholic Priest?
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2008, 04:16:11 PM »

I agree wholeheartedly. 
Jeff from NC
Rookie

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2008, 06:02:43 PM »

I don't support any notion that the Catholic Church should deny Communion to Catholics (it doesn't allow communion for non-Catholics, but that's because you have to be educated in what the Eucharist actually means).  But suggesting that people who commit abortion refrain would make sense.  Suggesting that people who keep abortion legal makes less sense.  Suggesting that people who vote for the guys who keep abortion legal makes even less sense, especially because there are other issues to weigh - often ones where the politician has much more effect (like spending, taxes, wars, etc).
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2008, 10:55:26 AM »

Wait, you're actually a Catholic Priest?

Nope.  I am a licensed lay minister in the Episcopal Church.  But not ordained.  I'm really not nice enough for that.  And I fart too much.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies