Pawlenty 2012 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:47:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Pawlenty 2012 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pawlenty 2012  (Read 8636 times)
Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: 9.48

« on: November 14, 2008, 11:35:28 AM »

Good grief. Now Pawlenty is being called a moderate? Roll Eyes

The sh**tty thing is, whenever us Republicans nominate a Moderate, we always lose.
Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 04:05:48 PM »

The sh**tty thing is, whenever us Republicans nominate a Moderate, we always lose.

The last time you fellows nominated a moderate was in 1976.

Don't forget 1992, 1996, and 2008.
Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 10:25:05 PM »

The last time you fellows nominated a moderate was in 1976.

Don't forget 1992, 1996, and 2008.

Neither of the Bushes were moderates and Bob Dole certainly was not a moderate.

I think Bush 41 was.

He ran as a Social Conservative in 1988, but governed as a Moderate. Bob Dole wasn't a strong Social Conservative. Baby Bush ran on a platform APPEALING to the Religious Right, which he really didn't keep.
Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 10:46:03 PM »

Baby Bush said he was Socially Conservative, but I have seem him idle on most Social Issues, except Iraq.
Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 10:59:47 PM »

Baby Bush said he was Socially Conservative, but I have seem him idle on most Social Issues, except Iraq.

He did get 2 conservative justices on the Supreme Court.  And I believe his ONLY veto in the first term was on federal funding for embryonic stem cell research (I could be wrong).  And how is Iraq a social issue? 

I think he's been a pretty consistent social conservative.  That's about the only thing he has been consistent on.

True, but I think he only did those things not to lose election and stay cool with the South. The recent 2008 election shows a Social Moderate with Fiscal Conservatism loses if they are Republican.
Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 11:14:43 PM »

True, but I think he only did those things not to lose election and stay cool with the South. The recent 2008 election shows a Social Moderate with Fiscal Conservatism loses if they are Republican.

I think Bush was pretty genuine.  He wears his faith on his sleeve, and has never budged on a social issue.  As for McCain, he's pro-life, against gay marriage, and against creating new embryos for stem-cell research.  The only problem he has with social conservatism is the practice of injecting religion into the argument.  So I think he still qualifies as a social conservative, just not a "religious conservative".  I personally believe that under different circumstances (less Bush backlash, no credit crisis, no GOP corruption), McCain is a winner.  But then again, under different circumstances he might've lost the nomination.   

But I might agree with the idea that a social moderate, fiscal conservative is a losing combination.  I am a believer in the "stool theory" of the Reagan Coalition ("3 legs" = fiscal conservatives + social conservatives + nat'l security conservatives).  Without those 3 legs, the stool won't stand up. 

I think the National Security Conservative and Social Conservative legs could stand without the Fiscal Conservative one, if the stool wants to not fall before the democrats.
Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 01:27:42 PM »

He did get 2 conservative justices on the Supreme Court.  And I believe his ONLY veto in the first term was on federal funding for embryonic stem cell research (I could be wrong).  And how is Iraq a social issue? 

I think he's been a pretty consistent social conservative.  That's about the only thing he has been consistent on.

The only thing 2008 shows is that John McCain can't win if he is John McCain. Lol, don't try to make some sort of broad, far-reaching conclusions based on a single guy's defeat.

Try telling me that if us Republicans lose in 2012 if we nominate another Moderate.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies