Henry Wirz
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:53:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Henry Wirz
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Henry wirz
FF

HP

Scapegoat

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 8

Author Topic: Henry Wirz  (Read 3649 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 14, 2008, 12:10:51 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Wirz

Obvious scapegoat, whose trial allowed the Union to deflect notice away from the equally deplorable conditions in their own prison camps.

First, the Union had the ability to take better care of Confederate prisoners, and Confederates did not.  The Confederates actually followed the rules of war at Andersonville and gave the POW's the same rations their own soldiers in the field received... which at the time was hardly anything.

Second, the overcrowded conditions were so bad because of the end of the prisoner exchange program.  That was a policy that Grant had put in place.  The Confederates had nothing to do with it.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 05:45:53 PM »

The prisoners in Andersonville were fed better then the local Georgians. On the other side the CS prisoners were fed less then the civilian counterparts in the north.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 07:20:48 PM »

Without condoning how he conducted his prison, as both sides were quite guilty of atrocities to their brothers, Wirz was an obvious scapegoat. He was basically used by the north to get out their frustrations with southern leaders whom they hadn't been able to prosecute.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 07:26:14 PM »

Did you know that one of the testimonies that was heard at his trial was from a guy who wasn't even imprisoned there, heck, he wasn't even a soldier!
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 07:47:09 PM »

Did you know that one of the testimonies that was heard at his trial was from a guy who wasn't even imprisoned there, heck, he wasn't even a soldier!

I think I saw that on the History Channel show on Andersonville, though it's been about a year since I saw that show.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 08:15:59 PM »

I always find it interesting that so often on this political forum we find ourselves discussing the Civil War.  We discuss it more than WWI, WWII, Korea, or Vietnam.  Why?  Why are we hanging onto a conflict from 150 years ago?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 08:43:48 PM »

I always find it interesting that so often on this political forum we find ourselves discussing the Civil War.  We discuss it more than WWI, WWII, Korea, or Vietnam.  Why?  Why are we hanging onto a conflict from 150 years ago?

Majority of the posters here are Americans and the American Civil War (and the issues over which it was fought) is central to American history, society, identity and (on both sides) secular-nationalist mythology.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 12:08:32 AM »

Nothing is more passionate than a fight in the family.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 04:46:43 AM »

I think 9-out-of-10 historians woudl agree that the Civil War is the most significant event in US history.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 08:30:47 AM »

Majority of the posters here are Americans and the American Civil War (and the issues over which it was fought) is central to American history, society, identity and (on both sides) secular-nationalist mythology.

We should just sit down, shut up and move on. (not talking about you Al) And I agree with you BTW, those foreign wars never really affected our lives on a personal level as much as the War of Northern Aggression did.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 05:45:18 PM »

Oh my. Did you really just say that. I'm not even American, and I believe that the American Civil War was the most significant event ever to occur in the entire history of the United States. Not to mention, its more so fascinating to discuss compared to the foreign conflicts the United States were involved in during the 20th Century.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 08:04:06 PM »

Total scapegoat.

He was a soldier, doing what soldiers do: surviving, and following orders.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies