Who did you initially support/think would win? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:35:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Who did you initially support/think would win? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who did you initially support/think would win?  (Read 7306 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: November 18, 2008, 12:34:01 PM »

Who I supported:

From around late 2006 when I started caring to February 2007 - Gore, figuring he would run.
Feb 2007 onward - Obama the whole time once I realized Gore wouldn't run.

Who I thought would win:

Pretty much the same actually. I thought it'd be Gore as the anti-Hillary candidate, once he didn't run I figured Obama would take that up and thought he would the whole time. New Hampshire was a hard blow but it still didn't sway me.

Who I thought would win the GOP nomination:

When I started caring to early 2007 - McCain, out of process of elimination. I was rather adamant that Giuliani would never win, Romney didn't impress me and I was beyond confident some joke like Frist or other mentioned candidates would go nowhere.
mid-2007 - Once McCain collapsed I briefly thought it would be Romney, and then Fred Thompson when he became hyped up, but then flipped back to Romney once it became obvious how much of a joke Thompson was.
late 2007-2008 - Once Huckabee became serious and McCain began his comeback I was still betting on Romney. I thought he would take Iowa (wrong), and that he could comeback after losing NH (true to some extent.). After South Carolina I admitted McCain was more likely and after Florida I realized he had it in the bag.

So I didn't do too bad really even though I blew the individual predictions for most states on the GOP side (I had Romney winning Iowa and Florida and Huckabee winning South Carolina.). One thing I am proud about though is my insistence Giuliani never stood a chance.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 01:16:47 PM »

For all the people who supported Obama from the very beginning (before his first big $$$ haul), may I ask why?

He wasn't Hillary.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 01:40:47 PM »

For all the people who supported Obama from the very beginning (before his first big $$$ haul), may I ask why?

He wasn't Hillary.

But neither was Richardson or Dodd.  Or did you see them as superficially weaker candidates than Obama.

The latter. Polls showed they weren't going anywhere.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies