Who did you initially support/think would win? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:42:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Who did you initially support/think would win? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who did you initially support/think would win?  (Read 7283 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« on: November 16, 2008, 11:06:05 PM »

I supported Rudy until the very end of the Florida Primary, because I thought, for some reason, he could still win Florida. McCain was always my second choice so I jumped to his ship once Rudy dropped out. I always thought Rudy was the only one who could beat Hillary, so I thought it would either be Hillary or Rudy winning the Presidency.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 01:08:03 AM »

I never thought Guiliani would win...c'mon, look at his biography or his social-issue record!

The only thing he has going for him in the GOP primary is his hawkishness, but that doesn't get you past being pro-abortion or having divorced how many people awkwardly?

His social leanings were more in line with mine, but I realize he would've been at odds with the base. However, before Iowa he was widely seen as the only Republican who could beat Hillary, which is why Pat Robertson endorsed him. When Hillary began to falter, Giuliani did as well and then his soft support jumped ship to McCain.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 01:18:41 AM »

Interesting theory.

My own view on Guiliani's failure actually mostly has to do with his "brand" faltering against substance than even my own cited biographical/social issues.  The less you know about Guiliani, the more you like him.  That doesn't really favor a long campaign, let alone "I'm going to win the seventh state filled with New Yor's elderly population" either...

Guiliani was never that much of a candidate for his personal issues to emerge, but I don't think he's particularly relatable to suburban married types.

And this is coming from someone who finds Guiliani mildly appealing..

He might have turned off a lot of people with his personal life, but it seemed like no one cared about Obama's dealings this cycle. The media wouldn't have been Giuliani's ally though.

I do think things might have been different for Rudy if Hillary had won Iowa. He may have performed well in New Hampshire as a result. It seemed that he really just tanked after his health scare in December as well. I really don't know. His campaign will always be a mystery to me. He raised the most money and seemed to have the most "national" campaign of any Republican in 2007. Even a lot of Democrats I knew in the Charleston area had sent him money. But Obama probably took those voters away from him once he won Iowa, and then he collapsed after that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies