Who did you initially support/think would win? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:16:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Who did you initially support/think would win? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who did you initially support/think would win?  (Read 7286 times)
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« on: November 14, 2008, 10:55:50 PM »

Who did you initially support in the 2008 primaries?
Who did you think would win each party's nomination?

I supported McCain from the jump.  Though I might've switched to Sanford had he gotten into the race.  For the Dems, I thought their best candidate would've been Warner, but after he declined, I would say it was Richardson. 

Since Warner didn't get in, I thought the nomination would go to John Edwards.  For the Republicans, I never thought Rudy or McCain would get it.  I actually thought Fred Thompson was gonna win for a long time. 
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 01:36:12 AM »

Interesting theory.

My own view on Guiliani's failure actually mostly has to do with his "brand" faltering against substance than even my own cited biographical/social issues.  The less you know about Guiliani, the more you like him.  That doesn't really favor a long campaign, let alone "I'm going to win the seventh state filled with New Yor's elderly population" either...

Guiliani was never that much of a candidate for his personal issues to emerge, but I don't think he's particularly relatable to suburban married types.

And this is coming from someone who finds Guiliani mildly appealing..

I never supported Rudy for President (though I definitely would've voted for him in November) because I didn't think he ran on the right message.  He concentrated on 9/11 recovery too much, IMO, when he was only in office for about 3 months after.  Plus, there was a lot of criticism of the city's preparedness for a terrorist attack in light of the 1993 bombing.  Basically, I think the 9/11 argument would eventually start to turn against him.  Not to mention the fact that he vouched for Bernie Kerik to run the DHS and all the problems that caused. 

I think he would've been better off running on a law-and-order message, focusing on the fact that he was a very successful federal prosecutor and was an effective crimefighter during his mayoralty.  This is also the reason why I think he'd make a better Attorney General or FBI Director as opposed to President or Secretary of Homeland Security.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 01:16:05 PM »

For all the people who supported Obama from the very beginning (before his first big $$$ haul), may I ask why?
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 01:22:27 PM »

For all the people who supported Obama from the very beginning (before his first big $$$ haul), may I ask why?

He wasn't Hillary.

But neither was Richardson or Dodd.  Or did you see them as superficially weaker candidates than Obama.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies