The Southern White Vote: Pre-Election Polls vs. Exit Polls
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:10:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  The Southern White Vote: Pre-Election Polls vs. Exit Polls
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: The Southern White Vote: Pre-Election Polls vs. Exit Polls  (Read 17646 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2008, 05:13:15 PM »

Been to Raleigh and Charlotte...I'll admit that isn't representative of the state...but most Southern states don't have places like these.

Really? How about New Orleans, Atlanta, Memphis (to an extent), Houston, Charleston, Louisville, NOVA, et al, need I go on?

alright...but Raleigh and Charlotte are a hell of a lot wealthier than those places Smiley

Seriously though...I consider NC to be more like Virginia than other Southern places...or do you consider VA to be the Deep South, too?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2008, 05:16:07 PM »

Been to Raleigh and Charlotte...I'll admit that isn't representative of the state...but most Southern states don't have places like these.

Really? How about New Orleans, Atlanta, Memphis (to an extent), Houston, Charleston, Louisville, NOVA, et al, need I go on?

alright...but Raleigh and Charlotte are a hell of a lot wealthier than those places Smiley

Seriously though...I consider NC to be more like Virginia than other Southern places...or do you consider VA to be the Deep South, too?

Deep south is purely subjective and mostly, like I've said a million times, every southern state has its' own quirks and traditions. Hell, the accent is different in every single southern state. From Maryland down to FL and from GA west to Texas. Mississippi and Alabama may be the closest in similarities. From their food to accents to family traditions. The only thing that may be similar is their shared Scot-Irish heritage or their strong religious convictions.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2008, 05:19:49 PM »

NC is southern yes, but it part of the new south, with VA and FL and some  parts of GA.  I been all over NC and it is not part of the old dixieland at all. I mean just look at the Western part of NC, you has Asheville and the counties around it are very Democratic(At the local level). The same with Boone. Then you have the Triad and Triangle and Charoltte. Move East and you are into Faytteville and the black counties out east.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2008, 05:22:19 PM »

NC is southern yes, but it part of the new south, with VA and FL and some  parts of GA.  I been all over NC and it is not part of the old dixieland at all. I mean just look at the Western part of NC, you has Asheville and the counties around it are very Democratic(At the local level). The same with Boone. Then you have the Triad and Triangle and Charoltte. Move East and you are into Faytteville and the black counties out east.

The new south is some stupid Yankee term to make them feel good about invading and destroying our culture. That term and those people are irrelevant.  And Democrats have always been a part of the south. Does New England having conservatives make it less New England?
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2008, 05:25:12 PM »

The new south is some stupid Yankee term to make them feel good about invading and destroying our culture. That term and those people are irrelevant.  And Democrats have always been a part of the south. Does New England having conservatives make it less New England?

The new south is a more mod. non-bigot place. Where people like Kay Hagan and Barack Obama win win election/States. Its not taking away from the culture its freeing us from the bigotts that ruled before us.
Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: 9.48

« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2008, 05:26:20 PM »

NC is southern yes, but it part of the new south, with VA and FL and some  parts of GA.  I been all over NC and it is not part of the old dixieland at all. I mean just look at the Western part of NC, you has Asheville and the counties around it are very Democratic(At the local level). The same with Boone. Then you have the Triad and Triangle and Charoltte. Move East and you are into Faytteville and the black counties out east.

The new south is a more mod. non-bigot place. Where people like Kay Hagan and Barack Obama win win election/States. Its not taking away from the culture its freeing us from the bigotts that ruled before us.

Are you saying that it is good just because they voted Democratic?

Why is everyone in the internet so bigoted? This goes to most of the forum.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2008, 05:28:51 PM »

NC is southern yes, but it part of the new south, with VA and FL and some  parts of GA.  I been all over NC and it is not part of the old dixieland at all. I mean just look at the Western part of NC, you has Asheville and the counties around it are very Democratic(At the local level). The same with Boone. Then you have the Triad and Triangle and Charoltte. Move East and you are into Faytteville and the black counties out east.

No, the point is that 40 to 50 years ago it would have been hard for a women or a black man to win elections in the south.
Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: 9.48

« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2008, 05:30:25 PM »

No, the point is that 40 to 50 years ago it would have been hard for a women or a black man to win elections in the south.

Still, how does it make the politician good because of that? (not saying they are bad, I am just tried of a lot of partisans stuff on here.)
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2008, 05:33:46 PM »

Still, how does it make the politician good because of that? (not saying they are bad, I am just tried of a lot of partisans stuff on here.)

I think he's just saying its good that people like Barack Obama are capable of winning in places like the south.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2008, 05:55:45 PM »

Fifty years ago it would have been hard for a woman or black person to win most anywhere.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2008, 07:14:13 PM »

Fifty years ago it would have been hard for a woman or black person to win most anywhere.

How far we have come.

Iam sure you don't like the New America huh?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2008, 07:21:30 PM »

Iam sure you don't like the New America huh?

Where did I ever say that? Jerk.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2008, 07:22:36 PM »

I am sure you don't like the New America huh?

What are you implying about him?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2008, 07:23:16 PM »

What most of the clueless newbs think.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2008, 07:46:37 PM »

Well as a Bi-racial person whenever I see  Big banner of "States rights" and Confederation, that makes me wonder what do you actually support.

You seem like a great guy in term of views - nothing to suggest the R word.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2008, 09:04:13 PM »

You seem like a great guy in term of views - nothing to suggest the R word.

He isn't.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2008, 11:13:09 PM »

Well clearly it appears that a Bradley effect is more likely in the Deep South plus Missouri and Virginia. West Virginians didn't lie in the polls.

I'm sure the majority of Southern Whites are not entirely racist, but I still think there are prejudices and unsaid mistrusts between both the Black and White communities of the South. However as someone from the West, I must say that I really have little experience with racism and areas with dark and unfortunate histories of racial struggle. I am optimistic that America will grow and mature and maybe one day diversity will be accepted and we will transcend these silly worries about racism. Maybe one day...
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2008, 12:42:33 AM »

There tends to be a larger margin of error in subsamples.. even if the sub sample is pretty big.

Also. can. someone. explain. to. me. why. any. white. in. the. deep. south. would. vote. for. obama?

There. is. absolutely. postively. NO. ideological. similarities. with. them. and. Obama.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2008, 03:31:49 PM »

There tends to be a larger margin of error in subsamples.. even if the sub sample is pretty big.

Also. can. someone. explain. to. me. why. any. white. in. the. deep. south. would. vote. for. obama?

There. is. absolutely. postively. NO. ideological. similarities. with. them. and. Obama.

Well for starters it would be in the economic interests of many of them to do so. Also, not all southern whites agree on every single issue.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2008, 04:14:25 PM »

Well for starters it would be in the economic interests of many of them to do so. Also, not all southern whites agree on every single issue.

Theres 2 ways this argument could be put to rest.

1.  A black blue dog Democrat runs in the future or Black republican.

2. Obama has a great 1st term and the Gop runs somebody like Palin.

With those two things we would find out if its really race or pure left vs right ideological issues.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2008, 10:28:53 PM »

GA: (SurveyUSA) Whites 72-25 McCain, Actual Result: 76-23 McCain

Yikes, no wonder McCain won Georgia by a decent amount. I figured that Obama would get a minimum of 26% here.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2008, 10:40:49 PM »

GA: (SurveyUSA) Whites 72-25 McCain, Actual Result: 76-23 McCain

Yikes, no wonder McCain won Georgia by a decent amount. I figured that Obama would get a minimum of 26% here.

Welcome to Georgia.  Lester Maddox must be turning over in his grave, but at least not at Georgia.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies