Where do you see the GOP gaining on the map?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:08:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Where do you see the GOP gaining on the map?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Where do you see the GOP gaining on the map?  (Read 9069 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 16, 2008, 03:51:29 PM »

The Democrats are clearly, fundamentally gaining on the Antlantic Seaboard, New England, and the Southwest.  They are less-clearly gaining in the Mountain West and West Coast.  The Democrats seem to be losing in the Rustbelt and Upper South.

Regionally, where will the Republicans look in the long-term to make their move?  Obviously they can't surrender all of these areas.

I'll post my thoughts but I wanted to see what other peeps thought first.
Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: 9.48

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 03:53:53 PM »

Depends on if they go Populist (If we do, we'd probably gain more areas and people) or not. If they stay small government, we may be only The South (due to Social Conservatism.) And if we become libertarian, we lose everything.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 04:02:34 PM »

What areas do they gain if they become populist?

Parts of the Midwest and.....

Not sure if it's great to focus one's efforts on the region that is losing EV's and fast.
Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 04:03:16 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2008, 04:07:40 PM by Huckabee/Thune '12! »

What areas do they gain if they become populist?

Parts of the Midwest and.....

Not sure if it's great to focus one's efforts on the region that is losing EV's and fast.

The Rust Belt, also, we need to work on the parts of The South that went Democratic. I am sure a Populist GOP will do fine in The South, and we are gaining EVs anyway down here.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 05:44:09 PM »

That's probably the Republican's best bet at this time- Michigan, Ohio and  Pennsylvania...but Obama just did so well there...except for Ohio...

I mean, they have two choices-

Reach beyond the Religious Right (which is about 70% of their base at this time) for the Sunbelt and rural Northeast...or become just a white nationalist party entirely....and just try to hang on as long as they can to the old south, the farm belt and the rust belt.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 06:23:24 PM »

The problem with the Rustbelt is that they are losing relative population and fast.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 08:44:30 PM »

The problem with the Rustbelt is that they are losing relative population and fast.

The GOP is backed into the corner in terms of which places have a future and which places don't.
Daniel Z
Switzerland

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 09:54:40 PM »

I think it will almost have to be in the great lakes area, unless they want to rebuke the religious right which would create a whole other set of problems.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 10:09:06 PM »

That's made up for by growth in Southern states, which are still going to be more GOP than the national average for some time.  Anyway, you're assuming that the GOP has some kind of long term plan, where they try to create an electoral majority that will last for some decades into the future.  In reality, there isn't a whole lot of forward thinking in either party.  They each just try to cobble together 270 electoral votes in each election, without regard to whether that particular combination of states is going to add up to 270 ten years from now.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 11:45:44 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2008, 11:48:18 PM by Lunar »

I agree in terms of presidential elections.

But for Congressional elections, usually the parties look at the map and identify areas that are susceptible to their message.  These are long-term strategies.

And you're right about the South, but is that enough to cobble together an effective majority?  The Democrats are still competitive in the South (unlike the GOP in New England that holds zero House seats).

But what are the highest growth areas of the South?  Are they the Upper South states that are trending GOP the most strongly?  Or are they the Atlantic Seaboard states that are trending Democratic?
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 08:31:06 AM »

The GOP need to keep a hold of NC, GA, VA and FL. 3 of the 4 could gain EVs in 2012. They also need to work on the Hispanic vote. So they can win States like FL, NV, AZ, CO and NM. But of course they need to look past 2012 because I don't see them winning in 2012 at all.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 12:11:26 PM »

We will be alright. 4 years ago, we were all wondering if the Democrat party would be marginalized and become the party of the angry liberals and minorities. The GOP needs to make inroads with Hispanics for sure. We can't afford to lose them at the rate we lose blacks.

If we can get away from big government and back to the old principles of small government and new ideas, we'll come back. The war hurt us in the northeast, but once it's over and the democrats screw up during Obamas first term, the GOP will make gains in 2010. The government never stays this one sides very long. And we won't go populist unless we want to lose it all.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 12:46:16 PM »

If the Republican party would have a PM score like me they would do very well.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 12:48:16 PM »

Where would I go then?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 01:53:42 PM »

No, they would lose 80% of their votes, haha.  The business types and the social conservatives would have to create a different party.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 01:59:45 PM »

No, they would lose 80% of their votes, haha.  The business types and the social conservatives would have to create a different party.

I was talking more about on social views.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 02:09:33 PM »

What social views would you have them moderate? If they abandoned gay marriage and abortion, they'd collapse. Stem cells and the other social issues are too minor to make a big difference.
Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 04:07:12 PM »

We will be alright. 4 years ago, we were all wondering if the Democrat party would be marginalized and become the party of the angry liberals and minorities. The GOP needs to make inroads with Hispanics for sure. We can't afford to lose them at the rate we lose blacks.

If we can get away from big government and back to the old principles of small government and new ideas, we'll come back. The war hurt us in the northeast, but once it's over and the democrats screw up during Obamas first term, the GOP will make gains in 2010. The government never stays this one sides very long. And we won't go populist unless we want to lose it all.

Do you honestly think anyone wants the GOP to turn Anarchist like you?
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 04:09:18 PM »

What social views would you have them moderate? If they abandoned gay marriage and abortion, they'd collapse. Stem cells and the other social issues are too minor to make a big difference.

They could be for Civil unions. But if I ran the GOP I would tell them to leave Marriage and Abortion up to the states. Have the people vote on it and leave it at that. Why should a states like MA and MS have the same laws about them things when they have different views on them.
Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 04:12:22 PM »

They could be for Civil unions. But if I ran the GOP I would tell them to leave Marriage and Abortion up to the states. Have the people vote on it and leave it at that. Why should a states like MA and MS have the same laws about them things when they have different views on them.

If the GOP becomes Social Moderates but stay Fiscally Conservative, where do people like me go?
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 04:15:32 PM »

If the GOP becomes Social Moderates but stay Fiscally Conservative, where do people like me go?

If they take off the Abortion and Gay Marriage debate then if you wanted vote on fiscally views, then Democrats.
Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 04:22:49 PM »

If they take off the Abortion and Gay Marriage debate then if you wanted vote on fiscally views, then Democrats.

Good lord, why are you rejecting your base (working class Christians) for a bunch of corporate dickheads? That is just asking to be pounded.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 04:49:57 PM »

Populists aren't the base of the GOP.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2008, 05:22:31 PM »

Good lord, why are you rejecting your base (working class Christians) for a bunch of corporate dickheads? That is just asking to be pounded.

The Democrats help the working class Christians more then the Republicans. Anyways, I'm not head of the GOP, it is far to right for my taste.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 07:06:03 PM »

Do you honestly think anyone wants the GOP to turn Anarchist like you?

LOL

Anarchist? HAHAAHAHAHAHA.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies