Gov. Mitch Daniels
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:19:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Gov. Mitch Daniels
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gov. Mitch Daniels  (Read 3746 times)
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 17, 2008, 01:50:58 AM »
« edited: November 17, 2008, 01:53:18 AM by paul718 »

I heard Gingrich on TV today mention Gov. Daniels, so I looked him up and he seems pretty impressive...born in PA, grew up in GA and IN, Princeton, Georgetown Law, chief political advisor to Reagan, private sector experience, OMB Director, beat incumbent Gov. by 7%, re-elected by 18%, deficit to surplus w/o raising taxes, not bad on the stump.  But there are a few red flags I see on his wikipedia entry.  I'll copy and paste since I'm lazy...

"In January 2001, upon his appointment as Director of federal Office of Management and Budget (see below), Daniels resigned as a member of the board of Indianapolis Power & Light Co. and sold the $1.45 million he held in company stock. Later, that year, Indianapolis Power & Light Co. was bought by Virginia-based AES Corp.[4] After the stocks dropped, the Indiana Securities Division investigated the sale and found no wrongdoing, but political opponents in his 2004 gubernatorial campaign charged that Daniels got rich while other employees suffered financial hardship."

"[As OMB Director] Daniels came under fire for overseeing a $236 billion annual surplus turn into a $400 billion deficit during his 29-month tenure. Supporters argued that Daniels was one of the few in the administration working toward restraint, and that ultimately he had to take marching orders from the administration."

"In 2002, Daniels helped discredit a report by Assistant to the President on Economic Policy Lawrence B. Lindsey estimating the cost of the Iraq War at between $100-$200 billion. Daniels called this estimate 'very, very high' and stated that the costs would be between $50-$60 billion. As of 2007, the cost of the invasion and occupation of Iraq has exceeded $400 billion, and the Congressional Budget Office in August 2007 estimated that appropriations would eventually reach $1 trillion or more."

Do you think these issues would kill a run for higher office?  Or are they just normal fodder that any potential candidate would have to deal with?  Are there any Indiana residents here to afford some input?

riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 09:49:31 AM »

methinks, if obama won the "judgment" game this year, something like this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

might hurt daniels.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 09:59:16 AM »

no more members of team bush for preesident plz.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 01:48:11 PM »

He could be the dark horse candidate of 2012. Then again, his insanely huge forehead might be an issue. Seriously.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 02:22:03 PM »

I see him as the Pawlenty of 2012, might generate quite a lot of net buzz on the blogs for president or VP but will make very little headway.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 07:38:23 PM »

Mitch is an amazing political creature.  His re-election was aided by a divisive Democratic primary and a horrendously bad opponent (JLT is extremely bright and astute -- on the issues.  When it comes to politicking, her bulb burns rather dimly.  She is NOT a self-promoter.)

He sold the Indiana Toll Road to a Spanish/Italian consortium for a tenth of what it is actually worth.  He has broken the back of every state employee's union.  And worst of all, the state has lost tens of thousands of high quality manufacturing jobs on his watch.  Some have left the country, most have just left the state. 

But what's amazing about Mitch is that he persuaded the voters he was a job-creation machine.  The Long-Thompson campaign barely squawked about this lie and the Indiana media -- about as lapdog as you'll find in any of the 50 states -- just took his press releases and used them as copy.  Mitch stood outside a Family Dollar Store in Marion, Indiana that was opening and helped cut the ribbon.  See?!?!  NEW JOBS!  Ditto when Dunkin Donuts announced plans to open a bunch of Indiana locations.  Proof Positive!  Mitch is putting Indiana back to work.

Who needs 20 dollar an hour jobs with full time benefits and health care when you can make 6.50 an hour part time and receive no benefits? 

Mitch Daniels IS George W. Bush.  So yeah -- I can see some in the GOP falling in love with him.  Reminds me of Dan Quayle campaigning in Oregon back in 1992.  He was asked by a reporter about the need for new jobs in our ecconomy.  He pointed across the parking lot, to a Burger King restaurant, that had a "NOW HIRING, ALL SHIFTS" sign on the marquee as proof that there were plenty of good jobs to be had.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies