Kansas 2010: Can anyone defeat Brownback?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:08:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Kansas 2010: Can anyone defeat Brownback?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kansas 2010: Can anyone defeat Brownback?  (Read 6046 times)
BM
BeccaM
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 17, 2008, 12:29:29 PM »

Kathleen Sebelius is term limited so she's out of the picture, but if she's given a position in the Obama administration, which I think is very likely, Lt. Governor Mark Parkinson will have a leg up in trying to get reelected.

However, he was a longtime Republican before and even served as chair of the Kansas GOP.  Will he have the support or will he even try?  Are there any others who can spoil what appears to be a likely GOP pickup?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 12:32:38 PM »

Some on this site will tell you Kansas is trending mad left!
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 12:38:19 PM »

Sure it is.

Even Sebelius would have a hard time winning a US Senate seat.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 01:44:34 PM »

Paging Lief...

Wink
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 01:56:57 PM »

Brownback is retiring, so if Sebelius runs, it's certainly possible. Not a slam dunk or anything, and it would require Obama to be popular. If Sebelius doesn't run, I don't know any other Democrats in the state who could win the seat.

Phil, how'd that Obama not cracking 80% in Philly thing work out? Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 02:02:49 PM »

Phil, how'd that Obama not cracking 80% in Philly thing work out? Wink

McCain came closer to breaking 20% than Obama did in winning Kansas.  Wink
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 02:47:06 PM »

Sure it is.

Even Sebelius would have a hard time winning a US Senate seat.

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 02:57:33 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2008, 03:01:34 PM by Verily »

I suspect the Democrats have a strong chance of holding on to the governorship. Why? Well, half of the Kansas Democratic Party consists of Republicans cinverted by Sebelius (only a slight exaggeration), so Parkinson definitely has the support for the primary. Sebelius's endorsement alone would probably be enough for a landslide. (AG Paul Morrison is another likely candidate for governor if Parkinson turns it down.)

Secondly, the Kansas GOP is severely divided between radical conservative and moderate branches--the moderate branch having increasingly defected to the Democrats since the radicals took over the party around 2002. The Republicans are likely to nominate another kook for governor and be destroyed.

Although, given the title of this thread, it's probably supposed to be about the Senate despite the section of the forum. Brownback is retiring; the Republican candidate for Senate is very likely to be Rep. Jerry Moran. Sebelius could defeat Moran, but certainly no one else in Kansas could.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 03:14:02 PM »

I made the title under the assumption that Brownback will be the GOP nominee for governor, which seems likely as of now. 
RBH

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 08:53:22 PM »

Depends on if Jerry Moran switches parties to face Brownback.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 09:11:36 PM »

I suspect the Democrats have a strong chance of holding on to the governorship. Why? Well, half of the Kansas Democratic Party consists of Republicans cinverted by Sebelius (only a slight exaggeration), so Parkinson definitely has the support for the primary. Sebelius's endorsement alone would probably be enough for a landslide. (AG Paul Morrison is another likely candidate for governor if Parkinson turns it down.)

Secondly, the Kansas GOP is severely divided between radical conservative and moderate branches--the moderate branch having increasingly defected to the Democrats since the radicals took over the party around 2002. The Republicans are likely to nominate another kook for governor and be destroyed.

Although, given the title of this thread, it's probably supposed to be about the Senate despite the section of the forum. Brownback is retiring; the Republican candidate for Senate is very likely to be Rep. Jerry Moran. Sebelius could defeat Moran, but certainly no one else in Kansas could.

I would not bet on the Democrat's chances if former AG Paul Morrison was their candidate
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 10:01:30 PM »

It is only Republicans from the 2nd and 3 rd districts that have trouble caouse that is where the split is most profound. The candidates from the 1st and 4th despite being conservative are usually considered to be above the fray politically in the moderate vs conservative divide. I am not sure which district Brownback represented in the 90's but it doesn't matter since he has been a Senator so long and proabably has some good standing.  Moran and Brownback should cruise to victory as long as niether purposly identifies with one side or the other in that divide.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 11:47:57 PM »

I would not bet on the Democrat's chances if former AG Paul Morrison was their candidate

Yea... Morrison probably isn't the best candidate at the moment.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 08:14:49 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No Sebelius coattails, at least not strong ones. The Republicans are looking good in Kansas.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 08:27:55 PM »

Brownback isn't going to have more than token opposition.  Anyone [is there anyone] who wants to run for higher office will focus on the open Senate seat and hope Sebelius doesn't run and somehow they can defeat Moran or Tiahrt.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 08:29:00 PM »

Brownback is retiring, so if Sebelius runs, it's certainly possible.

uh... that doesn't look right
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 08:31:44 PM »

Brownback is safe, fortunately.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »

No, Brownback will win.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 10:20:08 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2009, 10:28:44 PM by North Carolina Yankee »

Senator Brownback should become Governor Brownback. The yellow brick road may not have led to the White House for him but instead it looks like it will run to Topeka.

Are both Tiahrt and Moran running for the Senate? If so I will support Moran since he is less likely to be in the pocket of big business on the immigration issue.  Moran has an B from Americans for Better Immigration while Tiahrt has a D. Recent votes have moved his grade up to a B- but I think this is an election ploy cause it was a D for three years straight. The difference should mean little and in some cases being conservative does not always mean being for tougher laws and enforcement on this issue.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 10:40:29 PM »

Are both Tiahrt and Moran running for the Senate?

Well, they're both forming exploratory committees and whatnot if I believe correctly.  I mean, obviously the loser loses their house seat, so if there's a clear front-runner one of them might drop out.  Something tells me Moran has the edge but I don't know why
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2009, 02:37:05 PM »

Does anyone have a percentage of people who own guns in Kansas? Cause I know the gun owners are less friendly to Sebelius compared to non owners...

And yeah, governor Brownback obviously.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 03:38:36 PM »

Senator Brownback should become Governor Brownback. The yellow brick road may not have led to the White House for him but instead it looks like it will run to Topeka.

And Brownback is hardly a golden oldie.  He could run for the Presidency again.  With one or two gubernatorial terms under his belt, who knows?

North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 10:55:02 PM »

And Brownback is hardly a golden oldie.  He could run for the Presidency again.  With one or two gubernatorial terms under his belt, who knows?

Roads can always being extended you know. Though I prefer him not to get close to the White House. His immigration record is pittiful but his reason is a little different from many other amnesty GOPers, like Boustany and Cannon whose motivation is appeasing business interests, With Brownback I think its more of religious belief that we need to help them cause its the right thing to do. This borders on populism and the right thing to do is not always whats best for the country.  Its a bit more respectable reason though.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 05:10:55 PM »

I was born in Kansas, and lived there for the first few years of Sebelius. She got elected mainly because her Republican opponents sucked. She claimed to be a conservative Democrat, and many beleived her. 

For a Republican to win, s/he needs to get almost all of the Republican party behind him or her, and grab a few independant votes. It isn't too difficult for a Republican to win in Kansas. You don't have to campaign in the western part anyways, since it votes 80%+ to Republicans in every election.
I doubt Sebelius would win the Senate seat, but I could be wrong. Kansan's are very strange when voting.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies