What are some of your favorite books about elections?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:46:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  What are some of your favorite books about elections?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What are some of your favorite books about elections?  (Read 251 times)
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 23, 2023, 10:41:33 AM »

For my money it doesn’t get any better then Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail 1972 and The Making of the President 1960.
Redban

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2023, 10:56:30 AM »

I've read two that were really about elections - the Game Change books. I found the 2008 book to be better than the 2012

Most of time, reading bios of politicians or political figures usually ends up talking about elections. I found Mike Pence and Bill barr's books, specifically their recounting of the 2020 election, to be very good
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2023, 11:43:55 AM »

The Jules Witcover and Jack Germond election books from 1976-1992 were generally excellent.  The 1980 edition (Blue Smoke and Mirrors) is the best. 
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2023, 12:30:30 PM »

Psephology is not very developed in Brazil, but I once read an atlas of Brazilian history which included graphs and maps for all presidential elections since 1945 (the first free and fair election in Brazilian history)
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2023, 01:16:20 PM »

Psephology is not very developed in Brazil, but I once read an atlas of Brazilian history which included graphs and maps for all presidential elections since 1945 (the first free and fair election in Brazilian history)

That would be really interesting to delve into and learn about how political coalitions have evolved there.
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2023, 02:31:13 PM »

That would be really interesting to delve into and learn about how political coalitions have evolved there.
Actually, the book was old and only went back to 1989; there were five direct presidential elections during the time period (with a hiatus due to the military dictatorship between 1964-1985)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2023, 03:40:44 PM »

The Red and the Blue by Steve Kornacki.
ReaganLimbaugh
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2023, 04:35:42 PM »

Jules Witcover's books on the 1968 (reading now) and 1976 are fascinating.  Any of the *Making of the President* are also good.  Elizabeth Drew's work on the 1980 election is good too.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies