How has your family voted? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:30:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How has your family voted? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How has your family voted?  (Read 55497 times)
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« on: February 15, 2009, 05:29:09 PM »

My parents are straight Democrats, though in 2008 they supported Hillary in the primaries. My Dad's parents are pretty liberal, to the point that my grandma voted for Norman Thomas in 1948 ("I was always told, if you don't like any of the candidates, vote for Norman Thomas").

My Mom's parents were prototypical New Deal Democrats. My Grandpa's parents were immigrants (Italian-American Dad, French-Canadian Mom) who were Republican when they arrived in the late 1910's (prosperity i guess). Then the economy tanked and they became Democrats. My grandpa was a veteran (the head of the disabled American veterans) who was a very pro-labor lawyer. He was good friends with Lyndon Johnson and Hubert Humphrey.

Anyways, here is how I would have voted (I could go way back, but I'll start post-war)

1948-Truman (D) One of my favorite Presidents
1952-Stevenson (D) After so many good Democratic years, why stop?
1956-Eisenhower (R) Prosperity=My Vote
1960-Kennedy (D) Another one of my favorites, + a chance to elect a fellow Catholic
1964-Johnson (D) Prosperity
1968-Humphrey (D) No way would I vote Nixon, and Wallace was still too racist.
1972-Nixon (R) Humphrey, Wallace, or Jackson in the primaries. McGovern was too liberal.
1976-Carter (D) Scoop in the primaries. No fan of Carter, though no fan of Ford either.
1980-Reagan (R) Kennedy in the primaries. I consider myself a Reagan Democrat-lite
1984-Reagan (R) Prosperity
1988-Dukakis (D) Good governor. Actually quite a moderate record.
1992-Perot (REF) Don't like Clinton too much, though I may have voted for him anyway.
1996-Clinton (D) Prosperity
2000-Bush (R) 20/20 no way. But I don't like Gore, and I might vote on social issues after prosperity
2004-Kerry (D) Not a big fan, though I hated Bush's first term
2008-Obama (D) The first nominee who I have been TRULY passionate about.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies