How has your family voted? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:25:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How has your family voted? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How has your family voted?  (Read 55554 times)
Statesman
Rookie
United States

« on: August 27, 2012, 03:14:04 AM »
« edited: August 27, 2012, 04:38:52 AM by Statesman »

Myself (I'm pretty young, b. 1989):
I've been a solid Democrat through my short life, but I've considered voting for the Green Party on some occasions. It hasn't happened yet. Growing up during Bush II, I have made a rule for myself to never vote Republican, and I've kept that promise. The only time I voted other than Democratic was for a Green-like Independent in this year's primary for Lieutenant Governor (I don't like Brad Owen). I've worked at bookstores and done volunteer work, I hope to add more to my resume in the coming years. Someday I might want to become a history teacher.

2004 - Not old enough to vote, would have voted Kerry (D)
2008 - Obama (D) (first election I voted in, voted for Obama in caucus and general)
2012 - Going to vote for Obama (D)

Mother (b. 1952)
My mom's been a solid Democrat all her life. She's worked at Boeing (in the 70s) and as a recess supervisor for public schools (later in life). Exceptions: Both of my parents voted Republican for Daniel J. Evans for Governor in the 1970s, he was a respected and popular moderate. Some today would regard Evans as a RINO. The only other time was when my dad voted for Rob McKenna (R) for Attorney General over Deborah Senn (D) in 2004, he didn't like Senn for some reason. He's voting for Inslee (D) against McKenna (R) in the Governor's race this year. My parents seemed to initially support Hillary Clinton (D) for the 2008 Democratic nomination, but eventually became Obama supporters over the course of the primaries.

1968 - Not old enough to vote, would have voted Humphrey (D)
1972 - McGovern (D)
1976 - Carter (D)
1980 - Carter (D)
1984 - Mondale (D)
1988 - Dukakis (D)
1992 - Clinton (D)
1996 - Clinton (D)
2000 - Gore (D)
2004 - Kerry (D)
2008 - Obama (D)

Father (b. 1955)
My dad's been a solid Democrat, but voted Anderson in 1980 as he was disappointed with Carter and disliked Reagan. Dad's worked as a truck driver and as a manager at hardware stores. He said in hindsight, he might have voted for Carter in 1980.

1972 - Not old enough to vote, would have voted McGovern (D)
1976 - Carter (D)
1980 - Anderson (I)
1984 - Mondale (D)
1988 - Dukakis (D)
1992 - Clinton (D)
1996 - Clinton (D)
2000 - Gore (D)
2004 - Kerry (D)
2008 - Obama (D)

Sister (b. 1983)
My sister is a solid Democrat, and works as a teacher.

2000 - Not old enough to vote, would have voted Gore (D)
2004 - Kerry (D)
2008 - Obama (D)

Oldest Uncle (b. 1942) (father's side)
All of my uncles and aunts lean Democratic (though not enthusiastically), except this one. This uncle was a hippy-ish independent during Vietnam and the 70s (though he alluded to reluctantly voting for Nixon over Humphrey), disliked Reagan, voted for Perot twice, voted for Bush twice and became a die-hard Republican after 9/11. His political opinions have also been influenced, unfortunately, by talk radio host Rush Limbaugh. His least favorite president is Lyndon B. Johnson, and his favorite president is Theodore Roosevelt. My uncle has worked as a photographer and done various other work.

1956 - Maybe Eisenhower (R)?
1960 - Maybe Kennedy (D)?
1964 - ?
1968 - Nixon (R)
1972 - ?
1976 - ?
1980 - Anderson (I) I assume
1984 - ?
1988 - ?
1992 - Perot (I)
1996 - Perot (RF)
2000 - Bush (R)
2004 - Bush (R)
2008 - McCain (R) (his primary choice was Fred Thompson (R))
2012 - Going to vote for Romney (R) (indicated some support for Gingrich and Cain, disdain for Paul and Bachmann)

Grandfather (1909-1998) (father's side)
Grandpa was a machinist during WWII, and kept the profession most of his life. All I really know about my grandfather politically is that he liked Nixon because Nixon was brought up in a working class family. The night Nixon resigned, my father remembers grandpa coming home drunk, shaking his fist at the ceiling, yelling, "Come back Nixon, come back!" I'm told grandpa was an FDR Democrat in the 30s and 40s and probably became an Eisenhower Republican in the 50s. I don't know if he liked Reagan, but they had the same birthday, grandpa was two years to the day older. In his old age, grandpa didn't seem particularly interested in politics, but may have voted for Dole (R) in 1996. Though I am politically at odds with him, this grandfather was my favorite relative as a young child.

Grandmother (b. 1917) (father's side)
My grandmother, a housewife most of her life, has voted Democratic all her life, though she grew disappointed in the party during Clinton. Now she feels appalled at the Republicans and wants Obama to win a second term.

Grandfather (1926-2008) (mother's side)
Grandpa on my mother's side was a lifelong Republican, though he may have voted for George Wallace in 1968 and Strom Thurmond in 1948, and maybe Stevenson in 1952 due to John Sparkman being on the ticket. He criticized Bush Jr. for the execution of the Iraq War though he voted for him twice. He died in August 2008, but almost certainly would have voted for McCain. He had been a judge in Alabama and worked on the space program in the 1960s. On a visit to Alabama in 2006, he criticized me for having such long hair (it's now shorter due to haircuts and the beginnings of the effects of the dreaded male balding gene).

Grandmother (1929-1999) (mother's side)
As far as I know, my grandmother on my mother's side was a Republican. She grew up poor (as she was born at the beginning of the Great Depression) but married wealthy, and I'm not sure if she did anything for work. They married in the 1950s and divorced in the 1960s, though grandma still remained financially better off than in her youth. I remember my mom recounting an argument with grandma in the 1980s, where grandma said she was against Democrats because she didn't believe in universal health care.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies