The Strange History of 'Romanette'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:28:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Strange History of 'Romanette'
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Have you ever heard, read, or used the word before? (Only English usage counts.)
I've heard it

I've read it

I've used it

None of these

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 11

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: The Strange History of 'Romanette'  (Read 969 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2008, 02:27:49 PM »

##CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: Romanette?

MS. SAHARSKY: Oh, little Roman numeral.

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: I've never heard that before. That's — Romanette.

This 'Romanette' term appears to be something of a puzzle:

##     . . . I suspect that Ms. Saharsky used the word entirely without thinking about it: To her, it was quite normal, though to the Chief Justice it was unknown (as it was to me and to some other lawyers I've talked to).
     So what's going on? The word is in no dictionary that I could find. It appears in no Nexis-searchable publication. A Google search for "Romanette" in English-language pages revealed fewer than 35 pages that used the word before Monday, once all the false positives (the names of people, horses, green bean varieties, blinds, and the like) were removed.
     And yet the word, with precisely the meaning Ms. Saharasky used, appears in six court opinions, from federal court in Oklahoma, bankruptcy courts in Texas and Pennsylvania, and state courts in Minnesota, plus ten sources in Westlaw's TP-ALL database (all in practitioner journals, not in traditional law reviews). And the Google hits — mostly from legal documents — come from a similarly wide range of sources: the minutes of a Novato, California City Council meeting, a manual of contract drafting, a transcript of an Idaho Senate commitee meeting, and more. What's more, all but a few use the word as matter-of-factly as Ms. Saharasky did, without any indication that the word is anything novel and unusual; the remaining ones are queries about what the word means or brief discussions of its meaning.

My hunch is that this exchange has landed the term 'romanette' a new degree of respectability in English discourse. But I for one had never heard of it, and the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, 6th ed. (digital search), has no entry for it.

My question: Have you encountered the word before? (In this sense, or any other?)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 04:41:01 PM »

Never heard of the word.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 09:58:18 PM »

Never heard of it.  Useful word, though, and sounds better than "small Roman numeral."
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies