US loses the Civil War? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:46:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  US loses the Civil War? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US loses the Civil War?  (Read 12905 times)
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« on: November 18, 2008, 10:38:58 PM »

I dont know if the Feds would have ceded both Maryland and Delaware to the CSA, Kentucky probably.

Not impossible they move the capitol back north but i dont see it happening, unless the south has a real choke hold
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 10:48:08 PM »

I dont know if the Feds would have ceded both Maryland and Delaware to the CSA, Kentucky probably.

Not impossible they move the capitol back north but i dont see it happening, unless the south has a real choke hold

The Feds were barely holding on to MD in '62. I will agree with you on Delaware. Also, the yankees may have been reeling bad enough to cede whatever necessary to end the conflict.

If I recall correctly, Delaware had some key manufacturing facilities (gunpowder etc), I cant see that going, unless the south had whooped our ass, which it looks like in the scenario.

Not to get all Turtledove here, but perhaps the north and canada get closer, perhaps a union or some sorts (forced one way or the other) by the late 1860s or so...
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 10:53:52 PM »

What do you think Russia would have done? I know they wanted a piece of the imperial action in the late 19th century.

I dont know if they confront Britain (remind me, would the UK have gotten its panties in a twist over Canada in this period?) over the Plains, I think the map you have basically implies confrontation, which I dont see happening.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 05:59:00 PM »

Highly doubtful Delaware goes to the CSA, Lincoln didnt exactly allow it to leave, but i dont think 1) the union, unless completely without bargaining power, allows it to go [too important for munitions and industry] and 2) the people of delaware would have opted for secession.

Maryland's a different question.

But I think Philadelphia becomes a much bigger player, and PA might have a population boom due to slaves crossing into the free north.  That might be interesting to see like 100 years out, if PA's politics become...quirky (as if they aren't now).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies