1000 Brave Men & Women
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:15:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  1000 Brave Men & Women
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 1000 Brave Men & Women  (Read 3509 times)
Wakie
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 21, 2004, 01:14:20 PM »

http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/091004W.shtml

The 1,000 brave men and women (yes that is roughly 1 full Brigade) who have died for George Bush's war for Halliburton.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 01:18:55 PM »

At least we know they died for a good cause
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 02:07:14 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2004, 02:09:47 PM by David S »

The question for now is what should we do next? Bush seems to have no plans for getting us out of Iraq. Kerry called for 40,000 more troops  www.candidatemap.com. More recently he has proposed bringing the troops home in four years.
Lets see; there are no weapons of mass destruction, no nuclear weapons program, no more Saddam, and building democracies in 3rd world countries on the other side of the world is not a constitutional duty of the U.S. government. So why do we need to stay there 4 years?
How many more guys will die?

If you really think we need to get out, Kerry is not your man. Withdrawal within 6 months is the plan for Badnarik, Cobb,and Nader. If you think we should leave vote for one of them.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 02:10:12 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2004, 02:11:00 PM by Philip »

We aren't even out of EUROPE yet! What is the hurry getting out of IRAQ?!

Bush's plan in Iraq is the same as Lincoln's plan in the south: victory.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 05:35:59 PM »

We aren't even out of EUROPE yet! What is the hurry getting out of IRAQ?!

Bush's plan in Iraq is the same as Lincoln's plan in the south: victory.

The fact that we are still in Germany, 60 years later may give some indication of how long we might be in Iraq.  As to what's the hurry well lets see, 1000 lives lost in a year and a half, and how many billion dollars spent. Also, how will the troop strength be maintained in the coming years without a draft? I'm way past draft age, but you my young friend are not.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2004, 07:37:09 PM »

Also, how will the troop strength be maintained in the coming years without a draft?

We had a military twice its current size  in 1990 without a draft.  Recruiting a large enough military will not be a problem, if the administration is willing to admit that we need more troops to do what needs to be done.  We don't have a large enough Army to do Iraq right and that's what our problem is.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2004, 07:59:25 PM »

Also, how will the troop strength be maintained in the coming years without a draft?

We had a military twice its current size  in 1990 without a draft.  Recruiting a large enough military will not be a problem, if the administration is willing to admit that we need more troops to do what needs to be done.  We don't have a large enough Army to do Iraq right and that's what our problem is.

There are probably plenty of young Americans who would willingly risk their lives defending America but maybe there would be fewer people willing to risk their lives establishing democracy in Iraq.

Also currently reserves are being used and regulars are being kept in Iraq beyond their normal tour of duty, which suggests there is some problem getting enough manpower.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 08:33:11 PM »
« Edited: September 22, 2004, 12:10:34 AM by AG Ernest »

Also currently reserves are being used and regulars are being kept in Iraq beyond their normal tour of duty, which suggests there is some problem getting enough manpower.

The problem is that Bush and Rumsfeld have refused to increase the size of the Army since 9/11.  Congress forced an increase of about 30,000 in the established strength on them that they didn't want.  Unfortunately our chickenhawk administration thinks we can fight this war on the cheap.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 10:19:34 PM »

I agree that we need to enlarge the size of the army
freedomburns
FreedomBurns

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -8.70

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2004, 12:19:37 AM »

I agree that we need to enlarge the size of your brain.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2004, 07:38:42 PM »

I agree that we need to enlarge the size of the army

How?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2004, 08:09:46 PM »

By volunteers, of course
Tory

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2004, 08:13:25 PM »

http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/091004W.shtml

The 1,000 brave men and women (yes that is roughly 1 full Brigade) who have died for George Bush's war for Halliburton.

Does Halliburton pay Bush? Does Bush recieve any benefit at all from Halliburton?

The answer to those two last questions is no, you know its no, and I'd appreciate if you would be honest.

Most of these American soldiers were more than happy to lay thier life on the line for this war. I would say probably 80-90% of the U.S. soldiers believe this is a just war. I'm sure many of these soldiers would give thier lives again if it meant a better life for the 24 million citizens of Iraq. When you make comments like the one above you are spitting in the face of these soldiers. Criticise the war if you want, but be honest and fair, and don't be a complete partisan hack.
NYGOP
nygop
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2004, 08:16:09 PM »

What do you mean how? There is a year long waiting list to get into the Air Force at the moment, and a slightly shorter list for getting into the Navy. All we need to do is take more of these people on.

Besides that, we just spend more recruiting for the Marines and Army.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2004, 08:20:30 AM »

Does Halliburton pay Bush? Does Bush recieve any benefit at all from Halliburton?

Directly?  No.  But Dick Cheney is paid directly by Halliburton in revenue sharing and stock options (both of which were part of his retirement package).  So yeah, worse than just collecting a salary, Dick Cheney's compensation is linked to Halliburton's performance.

As for Little George, he is paid off in the currency which has fueled his life, personal favors.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Now who isn't being honest?  Most of the soldiers in this war, like most of the American public, thought we were going to Iraq to secure WMD's.  Guess what??  Despite the fact that we had experts saying before this war that WMD's were not there this administration pushed forward.  Anyone remember the former weapons inspector who Fox News branded as a traitor because he said there weren't any WMD's?!?!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Horse pucky.  How many soldiers do you know?  I know many, and while they firmly (and almost blindly) are willing to follow their chain of command, not a single one of them would be willing to die just to make "a better life" for the Iraqis.
NYGOP
nygop
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2004, 03:29:56 PM »

Wakie, you should try to have an original thought instead of using Democrat talking points all the time.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2004, 06:47:27 AM »

Yes, and to fund the American misadventure in Iraq they have to take thousands of troops from South Korea, which is just south of North Korea. And heaven knows what happens if Kim destroys Seoul in 15 minutes.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2004, 10:58:54 AM »

Wakie, you should try to have an original thought instead of using Democrat talking points all the time.

That's funny coming from a guy whose very ID is NYGOP.

What I've posted is plain and simple truth.

*The 1,000 soldiers who died in Iraq were all brave and deserve to be honored.

*Dick Cheney's retirement package from Halliburton includes revenue sharing and stock options (giving him a financial interest in seeing that company succeed).

*All of the soldiers I know (which includes Army, Navy, and Air Force enlisted and officers) would be willing to lay down their lives for America but NOT for Iraq.  Would you be willing to die for the people of Iraq?

A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2004, 11:03:11 AM »

Then honor them by honoring their cause.

American soldiers are dying for America. Not Iraq.
Tory

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2004, 11:03:33 AM »

Would you be willing to die for the people of Iraq?

I would.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2004, 11:15:31 AM »

When the World Trade Center came down, we saw videos of people in muslim countries cheering. My guess is that some of the Iraqis were cheering too. I would not die for them.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2004, 01:53:09 PM »

1,000 soldiers have died, and I am sure all know they died in a noble cause. I hate the politicising of deaths, wheteher it be 9/11 or the Iraq War. Show some damn repsect for the dead and stop this "War for Halliburton" rhetoric. The same goes for Republicans who use 9/11 for political reasons. Let the dead be buried in peace and stop laying bodies in people's door ways to gain votes.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2004, 02:45:37 PM »

Then join the British military.  Volunteer today.
Tory

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2004, 03:02:01 PM »

Then join the British military.  Volunteer today.

I already did. I was in the Royal Navy for two years.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2004, 03:13:21 PM »

Cheney sold his Halliburton stock in 2001, earning him $35 million in the sale.  On the stock options he did retain he gives all profits to charity, and we know this because he actually releases his tax returns (unlike Teresa Heinz Kerry).  So no, he does not appear to have a vested interest in Halliburton.

Furthermore, if Halliburton is counting on Cheney to make them money, they need a new plan.  When Bush took office, their stock was $40 a share, now it is about $30 a share.  That right, all those no bid contracts and Halliburton still lost 25% of its value during the Bush administration!  The stock was trading at $8 a share for a while, but they have pulled themselves out of an accounting scandal to rebound to 3/4s their value when Cheney was running the company.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies