Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2014, 11:27:07 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Congressional Elections (Moderator: Joe Republic)
| | |-+  MN Sen Recount (UPDATE: Stuart Smalley certified winner, lawsuit forthcoming)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 41 Print
Author Topic: MN Sen Recount (UPDATE: Stuart Smalley certified winner, lawsuit forthcoming)  (Read 92728 times)
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #575 on: December 12, 2008, 12:23:59 pm »
Ignore

Franken back up to 47.9 to win.
Lіef
Lief
YaBB God
Czech Republic

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: December 12, 2008, 12:30:21 pm »
Ignore

Er... don't Republicans normally win absentee ballots?

RIP opebo
RIP the jfmtsc
RIP joshgreen
RIP King

Don't get me wrong, I love variety, and get a kick out of all these odors.
CultureKing
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: December 12, 2008, 12:31:25 pm »
Ignore

FRANKEN WINS AT COURT

The absentee ballots will be counted, as will the 133 ballots left out of the recount (but included in the original count. IIRC, the latter is a net +37 for Franken, or something like it. The absentee ballots could give any result at all; there are about 1,500 of them.

The absentee ballots are a big deal. This is Franken's last ray of hope.

I think democrats usually do, especially since these are ones that have some sort of mistake on them (and for some reason democrats seem to make more mistakes than republicans when voting).

Econ: -6.50, Social: -5.23
Iosif
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: December 12, 2008, 12:39:23 pm »
Ignore

I've changed my mind. I really want Franken to win now.

It would be hilarious.

J.J., I wanted to congratulate you on your assignment "A Typical Day In My Life". I think you did a superb job with it. So good that I think I'll share it with everyone else.

Verily
Cuivienen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: December 12, 2008, 12:44:08 pm »
Ignore

Yes, but not necessarily this year (at least, not on the Presidential level). It varies heavily from state to state, of course, too, with some states such as Florida heavily Republican and others more Democratic than the state average.

But the key point is that these are absentee ballots which were rejected--typically, the votes of those who haven't voted absentee before, so a lot of college students and new voters; as well as the votes of those who tend to make mistakes while voting, which also tend to be Democrats (thus provisional ballots always going Democratic).

But I am skeptical that the 1,500 or so ballots will give Franken more than 50 or so net votes, if he gains anything at all from them. Still, it may put him that much closer to closing on the challenges.
I am stabbed by grace and slinging blood
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: December 12, 2008, 12:46:23 pm »
Ignore

The fact that these decisions were unanimous makes me wonder if Coleman is telling the Republicans on the board to vote in Franken's favor and basically trying to throw the election. As MW08 pointed out right before the election, Coleman is probably better off losing from a legal perspective (much like Bill Jefferson would've been if he had lost in '04.)

Famous True Leftists:

Sam Spade
SamSpade
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: 0.00

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: December 12, 2008, 01:00:33 pm »
Ignore

FRANKEN WINS AT COURT

The absentee ballots will be counted, as will the 133 ballots left out of the recount (but included in the original count. IIRC, the latter is a net +37 for Franken, or something like it. The absentee ballots could give any result at all; there are about 1,500 of them.

If you're referring to the *lost* ballots, it merely ensures that the numbers stay the same.  Franken doesn't gain anything, he just doesn't lose anything.
Verily
Cuivienen
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: December 12, 2008, 01:02:50 pm »
Ignore

FRANKEN WINS AT COURT

If you're referring to the *lost* ballots, it merely ensures that the numbers stay the same.  Franken doesn't gain anything, he just doesn't lose anything.

I thought the official numbers were still omitting those ballots in their recount. If not, then yes, he gains nothing.
emailking
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: December 12, 2008, 01:25:23 pm »
Ignore

It's just a recommendation that the absentee ballots be counted. They acknowledged the counties cannot be forced to do it.
Ronnie
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -7.65

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: December 12, 2008, 01:30:37 pm »
Ignore

I always knew Franken would win this thing.

Moving on...

Born and raised in California
(Jewish) Atheist
Classical Liberal
Verily
Cuivienen
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: December 12, 2008, 01:44:24 pm »
Ignore

It's just a recommendation that the absentee ballots be counted. They acknowledged the counties cannot be forced to do it.

Of course, one would imagine every county would want to count them. After all, if you're a Republican county, your ballots probably favor Coleman; if you're a Democratic county, your ballots probably favor Franken. To refuse to count your county's ballots would be to hurt your favored candidate. (Assuming that there are no or very few counties with local governments radically different from their national voting patterns.)
I am stabbed by grace and slinging blood
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: December 12, 2008, 01:46:36 pm »
Ignore

County governments are non-partisan,

Famous True Leftists:

emailking
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: December 12, 2008, 01:53:02 pm »
Ignore

Of course, one would imagine every county would want to count them. After all, if you're a Republican county, your ballots probably favor Coleman; if you're a Democratic county, your ballots probably favor Franken. To refuse to count your county's ballots would be to hurt your favored candidate. (Assuming that there are no or very few counties with local governments radically different from their national voting patterns.)

But before some of the counties were refusing to address the issue while others were doing it voluntarily. Ramsey counted wouldn't count them, for example. I think the logic of the officials is that they have already done their job with the absentee ballots and that should be it? Perhaps it will change now, but I don't know what's different really.
Rococo4
YaBB God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #588 on: December 12, 2008, 02:27:53 pm »
Ignore

this thing has been dragging on too long
farewell
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: December 12, 2008, 03:25:54 pm »
Ignore

But the key point is that these are absentee ballots which were rejected--typically, the votes of those who haven't voted absentee before, so a lot of college students and new voters; as well as the votes of those who tend to make mistakes while voting, which also tend to be Democrats
This is Minnesota so it probably doesn't apply here, but one would assume a sizable chunk of military (non-commissioned) votes among absentees with errors.
(thus provisional ballots always going Democratic).
Not in every state. Not in Alaska, for instance. It sort of depends what categories of potential voters, exactly, cast provisional votes: on the state of the voter register itself, on whether there are rules allowing people to cast a provisional vote at the wrong precinct, etc.

I may conceivably reconsider.

Knowing me it's more likely than not.
Former Moderate
Mr. Moderate
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #590 on: December 12, 2008, 03:48:59 pm »
Ignore

County governments are non-partisan,

Nobody is really non-partisan.

Ronnie
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: December 12, 2008, 03:55:23 pm »
Ignore

I think now we can almost safely say Al Franken is the senator-elect.

I think...

(Jewish) Atheist
Classical Liberal
farewell
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: December 12, 2008, 04:03:00 pm »
Ignore

No. The chances rose, but they're still probably under 50%.

Not that the decision is surprising, of course - simply because it's essentially dictated by common sense.

I may conceivably reconsider.

Knowing me it's more likely than not.
Roma Caput Mundi
italian-boy
YaBB God
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: December 12, 2008, 04:14:50 pm »
Ignore

This thing is taking more than in Italy-and it's really saying something...
Marokai Besieged
Marokai Blue
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: December 12, 2008, 05:50:50 pm »
Ignore

Unfortunately Coleman is still trying to pull a Bush-2000 in court.

Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: December 12, 2008, 05:58:59 pm »
Ignore

Having some counties re-review rejected absentee ballots and not others is a dog that won't hunt. This should be resolved in court.

Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: December 12, 2008, 05:59:23 pm »
Ignore

This is excellent news. I had all but reconciled myself to loss.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Marokai Besieged
Marokai Blue
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: December 12, 2008, 06:00:50 pm »
Ignore

Having some counties re-review rejected absentee ballots and not others is a dog that won't hunt. This should be resolved in court.

"Resolved" is just a code word for "halt as soon as possible." Coleman has made no secret about wanting to stop this recount, even from happening in the first place.

Ronnie
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: December 12, 2008, 06:04:18 pm »
Ignore

No. The chances rose, but they're still probably under 50%.

Not anymore.

This is excellent news. I had all but reconciled myself to loss.

It was inevitable and you know it.

(Jewish) Atheist
Classical Liberal
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: December 12, 2008, 06:24:09 pm »
Ignore

"Resolved" is just a code word for "halt as soon as possible." Coleman has made no secret about wanting to stop this recount, even from happening in the first place.

Well, the way the game is played is one follows the law as interpreted by the courts, and I explained that the court should impose consistency, and apply the law. It may be that the counties can each do whatever they want, but I doubt it.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 41 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout