MN Sen Recount (UPDATE: Stuart Smalley certified winner, lawsuit forthcoming) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:42:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MN Sen Recount (UPDATE: Stuart Smalley certified winner, lawsuit forthcoming) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MN Sen Recount (UPDATE: Stuart Smalley certified winner, lawsuit forthcoming)  (Read 119587 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« on: November 20, 2008, 05:43:41 PM »

So the odds are pretty strong at this point that whoever wins wins with less than 100 votes, right? Because that's awesome.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 09:46:53 PM »

They appear to be ahead of the SoS right now, so this is the most current number.
How does a newspaper get the results before the agency in charge of counting the results? Huh
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 07:42:15 PM »

Sam, I don't know why you are even bothering with this.  The great Nate Silver has already said Frankin wins by 27 votes.  Therefore, it's over.  Coleman should concede immediately.
False.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 07:31:07 PM »

Probably someone pissed about a ruling the judge made.

This brought up an interesting question: Does it count as identifying the ballot if someone writes themselves in for all the minor offices? (As many have done. Almost all Coleman supporters interestingly.)

The Franken campaign has argued this but I remember reading that the judges generally feel that it's not sufficient proof (you and your friend might agree to write your friend in for everything or you might be writing in your sixth grade teacher)

I tend to agree with the judges (ignoring statute for a moment).

Your ballot should not be thrown out simply because you have the gall to write in your own name or someone else you know for a position where you don't like the alternatives.  Maybe it would be different if the ovals weren't colored in, but I still think it's not a reason for disqualification.  Keep in mind the "Lizard People".  Tongue

One of the things that most annoys me with the lever system in New York is how difficult it is to write-in a name for a spot.  I so wanted to vote for "Daniel Patrick Moynihan" in the NY Senate race in 2006, but it requires filling out a separate card and some other procedure, which is useless.
At least you have the option of writing in candidates in New York. Stupid Texas.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 07:56:01 PM »

Probably someone pissed about a ruling the judge made.

This brought up an interesting question: Does it count as identifying the ballot if someone writes themselves in for all the minor offices? (As many have done. Almost all Coleman supporters interestingly.)

The Franken campaign has argued this but I remember reading that the judges generally feel that it's not sufficient proof (you and your friend might agree to write your friend in for everything or you might be writing in your sixth grade teacher)

I tend to agree with the judges (ignoring statute for a moment).

Your ballot should not be thrown out simply because you have the gall to write in your own name or someone else you know for a position where you don't like the alternatives.  Maybe it would be different if the ovals weren't colored in, but I still think it's not a reason for disqualification.  Keep in mind the "Lizard People".  Tongue

One of the things that most annoys me with the lever system in New York is how difficult it is to write-in a name for a spot.  I so wanted to vote for "Daniel Patrick Moynihan" in the NY Senate race in 2006, but it requires filling out a separate card and some other procedure, which is useless.
At least you have the option of writing in candidates in New York. Stupid Texas.

I thought they had that silly system where you move a dial to enter letters (remember Sekula-Gibbs?).  Or maybe that was just Harris/Fort Bend County
I think they only let you write-in candidates if someone declares as a write-in candidate after the deadline to get your name on the ballot (or if you didn't get enough signatures or something). So, in races without declared write-in candidates (which was everything but President this year), you can't do a write-in. Which meant I had to vote for some random Republican for some random judge because there was no Democrat.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 01:58:51 PM »

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/12/franken_camps_claim_were_now_a.php

The Franken camp now says they're ahead by 22 votes.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 11:31:18 PM »

Franken.

He voted Barkley (or Aldrich), changed his mind to Aldrich (or Barkley), then changed his mind a last time to Franken.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 12:27:19 AM »

Franken.

He voted Barkley (or Aldrich), changed his mind to Aldrich (or Barkley), then changed his mind a last time to Franken.

Or maybe he marked his two preferences...

I mean, it's a Franken vote, but is it clear?
It's not 100% clear, but it's more likely a Franken vote than an Other vote. Whether that means it's 51% a Franken vote or 99% a Franken vote, and at what point the judge gets to give the vote to Franken between those two percentages, I don't know.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 01:22:49 PM »

Wait, what? There's nothing unclear about that ballot at all.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 05:41:24 PM »

Yeah, it's their fault that an election official improperly threw their vote out. They should just suck it up. It's not like they have a right to vote anyway.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 12:30:21 PM »

Er... don't Republicans normally win absentee ballots?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 08:31:08 AM »

They should be done for Friday.

And then the "loser" will sue!
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 03:09:35 PM »

Franken campaign declares victory by 35-50 votes

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.senateguru.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=475
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 11:42:01 PM »

I think the idea that more than a handful of people are going to not vote for Democrats because the Senator from Minnesota is Al Franken is silly. No matter what, the Republicans are going to try and turn our politicians into boogeymen. We shouldn't surrender seats to them because we're scared they'll throw a fit. In two years, no one is going to care that Franken is the Senator from Minnesota instead of Coleman.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 05:32:34 AM »

He'll be out of the Senate and in jail soon. Don't worry.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 08:15:59 PM »

59. Smiley
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 11:54:17 PM »

I must say he was surprisingly calm, give than he decided to address it. This man absolutely loathes Franken. It goes back like 5-6 years.

Well, MN is on his "corruption watch" now. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpOSgT-osHk

Bill: "Hey, SHUT UP. SHUT UP! You had your 35 minutes, SHUT UP."

Good times.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies