Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2014, 06:56:13 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2012 Elections (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Huckabee book reignites feud with Romney
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Huckabee book reignites feud with Romney  (Read 4960 times)
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2008, 08:30:41 pm »

Perhaps this should go in the 2008 forum, but it also looks to me like the opening rounds of 2012:

link

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - Mike Huckabee reprises his primary feud with Mitt Romney in his latest book, calling his fellow former Republican governor’s record “anything but conservative” before his White House bid.

Targeting the former Massachusetts governor in “Do the Right Thing,” released yesterday, Huckabee offers a potential preview of a 2012 matchup between the two failed GOP presidential candidates.

Huckabee slams Romney in the book for changing positions on issues such as abortion rights and gay marriage.

“He spent more time on the road to Damascus than a Syrian camel driver. And we thought nobody could fill John Kerry’s flip-flops!” Huckabee writes.

Huckabee accuses Romney and his staff of disrespecting him during the campaign for the GOP nomination, and complains that Romney never called to congratulate him after winning the Iowa caucus in January.

Romney’s record, Huckabee writes, “was anything but conservative until he changed all the lightbulbs in his chandelier in time to run for president.” He also accuses the mega-millionaire of trying to conduct “a leveraged buyout of the Republican presidential nomination” by loaning his campaign money from his own personal wealth.

Romney camp's response:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gKBzuu0SKZM0-4wwpJ3xfxZmH4XwD94I7SE00

A spokesman for Romney dismissed Huckabee's comments in the book as "petty stuff."
"We need to focus on moving the party forward with new ideas," Romney spokesman Eric Fehrnstrom said. "Unfortunately, Mike Huckabee seems more interested in settling scores than bringing people together."

Huckabee is in Iowa to promote the book.  He was also asked about Sarah Palin and 2012:

Mike Huckabee wouldn't rule out a 2012 run for president Wednesday, but he acknowledged it could be hard to take back the spotlight from fellow Republican Sarah Palin. "I'm not ruling anything out for the future, but I'm not making any specific plans," Huckabee told reporters at a briefing to promote his new book, "Do the Right Thing."

"It's not something I'm sitting around thinking about."

Huckabee, a former Arkansas governor, said he expects Palin to continue to have a leading voice in the Republican Party, though he acknowledged he was envious of her meteoric rise after Sen. John McCain brought her out of relative obscurity as governor of Alaska to run with him this year as the vice presidential candidate.

Huckabee credited Palin with energizing McCain's campaign and said that her surprise selection for the GOP ticket helped her to "leapfrog over the process" that other Republicans — including himself — had to endure to become national political figures.

"I'm not frustrated by it," Huckabee said. "It's not a resentment on her part. It's an envy."

Huckabee plans to stay on the national political stage through his shows he'll host on Fox News Channel and ABC Radio.

HOG & Blondie: A Tale of Atlas Future

What is your opinion of this thread?

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
YaBB God
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 08:36:33 pm »
Ignore

This makes me like Romney more.
Eraserhead
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 08:39:42 pm »
Ignore

Palin/Huckabee. The ticket for Real America in 2012.

truth serum
Lunar
Moderators
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 08:53:55 pm »
Ignore

Huckabee needed to generate some buzz about his book, ironic given its title

this is real
Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: 9.48

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 09:32:39 pm »
Ignore

On Saturday Nov. 29, I am going to Macon to buy his new book and get it signed by him.

Now see if you can flame me, Romney fans.

“I’m for the poor man – all poor men, black and white, they all gotta have a chance.” - Governor and Senator Huey Long (D - LA)

Huey Long, one of America's greatest unsung heroes
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 11:09:46 pm »
Ignore

Is it just me, or is the Huckabee-Romney feud getting more and more like Barbara Walters-Star Jones?

“Sarah Palin is the only part of the campaign that I won’t comment on publicly.” - Meghan McCain
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Moderators
YaBB God
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -1.74

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 11:21:58 pm »
Ignore

Write-In:  Pistol

Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 1.48

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 01:58:54 am »
Ignore

Because Huckabee is the perfect icon  for Conservativeism.
Lunar
Moderators
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 02:02:10 am »
Ignore

You don't need to write-in anything, actually.  You could simply bring the pistol.

this is real
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 05:44:00 am »
Ignore

Why do I have a feeling that Governor Huckabee will be sued by Spike Lee over the title of his new book? Now wouldn't that be a much better feud to witness compared to the Huckabee/Romney bitch fight? Huckabee/Lee, has a nice ring to it. At least such a feud wouldn't follow along the same script as a "traditional feud seen on The View, but I can assure you that it would go for approximately three hours.

Here's to the State of Richard Nixon

Some things are better left covered up.
IDS Attorney General PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 06:32:20 am »
Ignore

Huckabee annoys me more & more by the day, if such a thing were possible.

Daniel Adams
YaBB God
Georgia

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: 2.43

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 07:29:55 am »
Ignore

I mostly agree with Huckabee's opinion of Romney, but seriously now, primary season is over. There's really no need to keep the feud going.
ShadowOfTheWave
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 11:39:35 am »
Ignore

Romney is human scum, as is Huckabee. But he's right, and at least he sticks to his positions.
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 12:16:44 pm »
Ignore

He's right, of course.

I don't think he's saying that he is. The point is that he stands by what he believes; Romney doesn't.

"I was an Independent during Reagan - Bush! I don't want to go back to Reagan - Bush!"

Grazie, Capitano!
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 12:20:20 pm »
Ignore

He's right, of course.

I don't think he's saying that he is. The point is that he stands by what he believes; Romney doesn't.

"I was an Independent during Reagan - Bush! I don't want to go back to Reagan - Bush!"

Haha, that's good.  I don't think you've ever been one of the mindless Romney-haters so I'll pose the question to you now and hopefully you'll be the first to be able to answer it; What in Romney's record has he not stood by besides the obvious and irrelevant abortion switch?

Irrelevant abortion switch? Ha! If we can't get past that point then there's no point arguing this.

We're never going to see eye to eye on this, my friend.

Grazie, Capitano!
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 01:13:38 pm »
Ignore

If you were really looking at this objectively, you'd look at all politicians' inconsistencies, not just the ones you hate. 

I'd have no reason to dislike Romney if it wasn't for his spineless behavior so...

Grazie, Capitano!
??????????
StatesRights
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 01:20:16 pm »
Ignore

Fezzy, if it would make you happy I was planning on voting for Romney if I could have voted in the primary.
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 01:22:44 pm »
Ignore

If you were really looking at this objectively, you'd look at all politicians' inconsistencies, not just the ones you hate. 
I'd have no reason to dislike Romney if it wasn't for his spineless behavior so...

Again; What has he done that is spineless?

These baseless talking points are fun and all, but they're not rooted in any kind of reality.

The guy ran to the left of Ted Kennedy on certain issues in 1994, dude. He denounces Reagan and then basically proclaims himself as the candidate of Reagan twelve years later?

Give it up already.

Grazie, Capitano!
Lunar
Moderators
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 02:06:04 pm »
Ignore

"I’ll be better than Ted for gay rights" Thursday Aug 25, 1994

this is real
Lunar
Moderators
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 02:10:58 pm »
Ignore

Chillax.  I think Romney is demonized unfairly, I just thought that saying "only abortion" was inaccurate.  I'm sure has fudgin' hell not going to research what your old posts said about Romney.

Romney is seen by most political activists as a chameleon -- he's less slick than Obama or Bill Clinton at making his shift in positions seem natural.  Everyone does what he did, but he wasn't particularly good at it and politics has slapped him for it.

this is real
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Moderators
YaBB God
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -1.74

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2008, 04:57:26 pm »
Ignore

You don't need to write-in anything, actually.  You could simply bring the pistol.

Its an old forum joke.

"Write-In: Pistol" means you would rather commit suicide than see any of the choices provided win.

Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2008, 05:03:43 pm »
Ignore

Go for it.  Post the talking points quotes. 

It was a Mitt Romney talking point!

Grazie, Capitano!
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2008, 07:35:00 pm »

Another interesting tidbit from Huckabee's book:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2008/nov/21/mike-huckabee-book-2012

Nothing hurt Huckabee more than his war with economic conservatives during the Republican primaries. It's a war Huckabee escalates in his book with a chapter titled Faux-Cons: Worse than Liberalism. He calls government-cutters like the anti-tax Club for Growth "the real threat" to the Republican party and accuses them of practicing "libertarianism masked as conservatism".

HOG & Blondie: A Tale of Atlas Future

What is your opinion of this thread?

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
Psychic Octopus
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2008, 08:02:41 pm »
Ignore

Yes! Iowa for four more years!

Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2008, 01:14:36 am »
Ignore

Another interesting tidbit from Huckabee's book:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2008/nov/21/mike-huckabee-book-2012

Nothing hurt Huckabee more than his war with economic conservatives during the Republican primaries. It's a war Huckabee escalates in his book with a chapter titled Faux-Cons: Worse than Liberalism. He calls government-cutters like the anti-tax Club for Growth "the real threat" to the Republican party and accuses them of practicing "libertarianism masked as conservatism".

Sorry, Huck, but I disagree with you here.

Go for it.  Post the talking points quotes. 
It was a Mitt Romney talking point!

Roll Eyes

This is weird, I keep reading, but there's nothing there!  Phantom post?  I like your style.  Don't respond, just keep snipping when you're called out.

It's amazing how you think you're creatively dismissing what I'm saying. Instead, the rest of us see you avoiding the point.

Mitt Romney said he was more Pro "Gay rights" than Ted Kennedy (I assume this means in favor of gay marriage as well). Now either you're calling Romney a typical, pandering candidate or you're saying he flipped on the issue when he decided he wanted to be the face of conservatives. Which is it?

Grazie, Capitano!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout