Want to depress yourself further? Look at Southern precinct results! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:36:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Want to depress yourself further? Look at Southern precinct results! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Want to depress yourself further? Look at Southern precinct results!  (Read 8652 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« on: November 25, 2008, 07:55:53 AM »

I never said race didn't play a factor, but its not the definitive you guys are making it out to be. Theres  many different reasons for those numbers.  FDR was the last northen Liberal democrat to win in the in the south.
We're assuming there is a reason for that, and it is called "racism". Tongue

Well I guess according to some - the south is just a bunch of racist bigoted people.

Look, I understand you want to defend the South - I spent some time in SC and GA - and I met some great people. However... the evidence does suggest a much MUCH smaller proportion of the white vote in the Southern states for Obama... now let's be 100% honest here... apart from race give me one solid reason why the white vote would be less than for Kerry or Gore?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 08:37:11 AM »

Well realistically - NC was the only real Southern State that Obama won - VA and FL really don't qualify... even if geographically.

I give you that race may not have been the only reason why Obama didnt do as well - but I don't think you can give it as small a role as you're trying to.

I mean Obama lost 9% of the white vote in AL and 6% in AR - mind you I want to make clear that I have enjoyed the time I spent with southerners.

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 10:27:13 AM »

This really is what should bother people in the South - the South used to be vital in elections - but with the Democratic blocs established in the NE, the West Coast and around the great lakes - even losing OH and IN - still 278 EV - not even considering AZ/MT/ND/SD opening up in 2012.

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 10:51:14 AM »

This really is what should bother people in the South - the South used to be vital in elections - but with the Democratic blocs established in the NE, the West Coast and around the great lakes - even losing OH and IN - still 278 EV - not even considering AZ/MT/ND/SD opening up in 2012.

PA is getting older and could be picked off by the right GOP candidate.

IN really do you think it will go blue again?

You have a point, but its harder for a democrat to win in the south then it is for a Bush like republican to pick off states in the Democratic column.  I actually think if the GOP goes with somebody like Palin in 2012 and GA along with SC will be blue.

PA could go to the Reps, if Obama makes a concerted effort in IN he certainly could hold it in '12.

The Reps have got a REALLY hard decision in front of them, move towards the centre to try win BACK ground (therefore alienating the base who are so bloody-minded) or hope Obama doesn't do well. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies