What is Bushism?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:35:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What is Bushism?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is Bushism?  (Read 3646 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 23, 2008, 12:53:06 PM »

Now that Bush is almost out, we've begun to explore what he really believes in. Some of the conservatives on this site have tried to disown him and tar him with the brush of liberalism. That's clearly untrue: George Bush is not a liberal. But he also doesn't belong to the school of conservative thought. It seems that he belongs to a reactionary third way, which we shall call Bushism for wanbt of a better name. What is Bushism?

Foreign
  • Idealistic and moralistic
  • Belief in the Unites States as a force for good in the world

Social
  • Strongly conservative
  • Religious and moralistic

Economic
  • Belief in the wealthy and corporations as the bedrock of society
  • Belief that the interests of the rich coincide with the interests of America

For an ideology without real parallels, it's surprisingly coherent. I would place it as similar to the ideology espoused by Rome in the 1860s.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 12:56:22 PM »

That, at least, I agree with.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 12:58:05 PM »

But he also doesn't belong to the school of conservative thought..
Not? Possibly not thought in the sense of rigorous logic, but...
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 09:33:49 PM »

But he also doesn't belong to the school of conservative thought..
Not? Possibly not thought in the sense of rigorous logic, but...

Not in the American sense, no. American conservatism is individualistic in nature, unlike European conservatism which is communitarian in nature.
The Populist
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 09:43:57 PM »

When I voted for Bush in 2000, I believed he would govern as a moderate, willing to hear both sides of every argument, and make the best decision.  I admit that, as a Southern Baptist, I was drawn to his obvious faith, and I hoped he would govern as a Christian.  However, I was disappointed by the way he let his faith influence seemingly every decision he made in office.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 12:18:50 AM »

Someone had a thread similar to this maybe two weeks ago (which may be what inspired this thread as the term "Bushism" was used stating that Bush, particularly on economic policies doesn't fit in with liberalism or conservatism).
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 01:17:07 AM »

"I'm the decider, and I decide what's best."
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 03:22:09 PM »

Someone had a thread similar to this maybe two weeks ago (which may be what inspired this thread as the term "Bushism" was used stating that Bush, particularly on economic policies doesn't fit in with liberalism or conservatism).

Gully Foyle used that term, yes.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 03:49:11 PM »

Gully Foyle used that term, yes.

However, I personally prefer the term "Bush-Reaganism" myself.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 04:01:26 PM »

I don't know what the hell you clowns are jabbering about, but here are some examples for you:

"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream."

"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?"

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 12:50:55 PM »

Now that Bush is almost out, we've begun to explore what he really believes in. Some of the conservatives on this site have tried to disown him and tar him with the brush of liberalism. That's clearly untrue: George Bush is not a liberal. But he also doesn't belong to the school of conservative thought. It seems that he belongs to a reactionary third way, which we shall call Bushism for wanbt of a better name. What is Bushism?

Foreign

Social
  • Strongly conservative

Economic

For an ideology without real parallels, it's surprisingly coherent. I would place it as similar to the ideology espoused by Rome in the 1860s.

Believes in Ope Borders and Free movements of goods and peoples.

FCUK Bushism.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 07:54:59 PM »

Foreign

Social
  • Strongly conservative

Economic

Believes in Ope Borders and Free movements of goods and peoples.

FCUK Bushism.

Yes, that's part of what Bushism is.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 04:34:27 AM »

Well elucidated, Xahar, but it isn't so lacking in parallels.  It is essentially a mild fascism - a mix of traditional European conservatism and American Imperialism/expansionism/exceptionalism.  A very nasty brew, but one very appealing to both stupid prole and vicious rich.

Alas the only real practical problem with this kind of fascism is really only the one - its residual 'individualism', which has led to a foolish worship of markets, deregulation, etc., leading to our current economic collapse.  If someone could embrace Bushism mostly, but with a heavy dose of Keynesianism (the sort which guarantees some working class incomes but brutalizes others, preferably based on race or 'skill' differences would fit in well), they would have an absolutely winning, functional coalition.  The key for the wealthy to understand is some workers must be 'overpaid' or demand cannot be sufficient, but that even if you 'overpay' some, you can still enjoy the benefits and pleasures of destroying others - in fact, in a political sense, the bigger the differential, the better it works playing these natural allies off against each other.

Come to think of it, isn't this pretty much what Hitler had set up?  I suppose if he hadn't invaded Russia it would have worked to this day.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 06:29:33 AM »

What happened to that Godwin thread?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 08:46:24 PM »

I think it has more parallels to Mussolini's system than Hitler's (though obviously not as overtly authoritarian). Hitler was repressive, whereas Mussolini was ineffectual; we have seen the effects of Bushism.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 03:29:37 AM »

I think it has more parallels to Mussolini's system than Hitler's (though obviously not as overtly authoritarian). Hitler was repressive, whereas Mussolini was ineffectual; we have seen the effects of Bushism.

Bush could hardly have been a greater success for those he serves, Xahar.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 08:13:23 PM »

This is almost exactly right. Bush is a fascist in the truest, most non-partisan sense of the word: an economic nationalist, a corporatist, who believes in a top-down economic structure in which business can replace most functions of government, not, as libertarians believe, by displacing government wholly, but instead by being incorporated into government. This is exactly the same economic philosophy Reagan espoused, who was also a fascist.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »

Bush could hardly have been a greater success for those he serves, Xahar.

Exactly. And thus he was deposed by the Republican leadership (although he still maintains power through Congress, which he controls).

This is almost exactly right. Bush is a fascist in the truest, most non-partisan sense of the word: an economic nationalist, a corporatist, who believes in a top-down economic structure in which business can replace most functions of government, not, as libertarians believe, by displacing government wholly, but instead by being incorporated into government. This is exactly the same economic philosophy Reagan espoused, who was also a fascist.

This seems to be more a reaction to power than

This looks more to be a reaction ot power than anything; it seems inevitable for all who run on a pro-business (and thus corporatist) message.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008, 07:39:54 AM »

This looks more to be a reaction ot power than anything; it seems inevitable for all who run on a pro-business (and thus corporatist) message.

Sure, and much of it doubtlessly has to do with Reagan being the consummate dipsh*t; I doubt he ever really knew what he wanted out of the economy, preferring as he did to "sleep in and eat jeallybeans". But it's the inevitable outcome of such a policy as implemented by his staffers, at any rate.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2008, 01:58:15 PM »

Sure, and much of it doubtlessly has to do with Reagan being the consummate dipsh*t; I doubt he ever really knew what he wanted out of the economy, preferring as he did to "sleep in and eat jeallybeans".

Actually no one who is lazy and likes to sleep in can be all bad.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies