Bangladesh 2008
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:21:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Bangladesh 2008
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bangladesh 2008  (Read 5389 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 23, 2008, 04:53:18 PM »

The academic junta has set elections for December 18. Word is that Sheikh Hasina will become PM again; the Awami League is the anti-BNP at the moment. It really doesn't matter, though. Whoever wins, Bangladesh loses.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 05:44:01 PM »

December 29 now. The BNP wanted to move them to January, and they compromised to delay them till the 29th.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 01:51:11 PM »

LOL.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 04:35:24 PM »

Is there any real difference between Awami and BNP?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 01:40:42 AM »

Is there any real difference between Awami and BNP?

The Awami League invokes Bengal as justification for its expropriations, while the BNP invokes Islam as justification for its expropriations. Under Mujib, the government called its citizens Bangali (this is the main reason "they" give for the absence of the orange map on the flag, with the real reason being its difficulty to produce), while under Zia, the government called its citizens Bangladeshi. That is all.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 04:53:14 PM »

Go Awami League!!!!!! although Xahar is probably right that Bangladesh is screwed either ways. At least Awami means less terrorism in India, especially in the northeast.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 05:03:36 PM »

A Labour councillor from East Ham (Manor Park ward) is apparently running as an Awami League (well, obviously) candidate in a Sylhelt (well, obviously) seat.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 05:28:41 PM »

A Labour councillor from East Ham (Manor Park ward) is apparently running as an Awami League (well, obviously) candidate in a Sylhelt (well, obviously) seat.

That's quite interesting. He'd have to resign the council seat if elected, I assume?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 07:21:16 PM »

I wonder what percentage of the Bangladeshi population in Britain is Sylheti....
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 07:30:11 PM »

I wonder what percentage of the Bangladeshi population in Britain is Sylheti....

I'd estimate it at 95%. And they all speak Sylheti, which I have a very hard time understanding.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 07:44:19 PM »

I'd estimate it at 95%. And they all speak Sylheti, which I have a very hard time understanding.

I got much better at picking it up since that is all my great-grandma can speak now. She spoke bengali before but now she is so old she has gone back to just sylheti. Basically the same thing of course. Still sylheti is pretty hard for me to understand when spoken in full flow and almost seems like another language. So what part of Bangladesh are you from?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 07:47:13 PM »

I got much better at picking it up since that is all my great-grandma can speak now. She spoke bengali before but now she is so old she has gone back to just sylheti. Basically the same thing of course. Still sylheti is pretty hard for me to understand when spoken in full flow and almost seems like another language. So what part of Bangladesh are you from?

Two of my grandparents were born in Sylhet, one was born in a Sylheti part of Assam and moved south of the border in 1947, and one was born in Feni. But my spoken Bengali is more or less written Bengali (i.e. boring).
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 07:50:15 PM »

Two of my grandparents were born in Sylhet, one was born in a Sylheti part of Assam and moved south of the border in 1947, and one was born in Feni. But my spoken Bengali is more or less written Bengali (i.e. boring).

I am sure you speak like your parents. Do they have some boring hybrid Bangladeshi Bengali accent?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 07:51:31 PM »

I am sure you speak like your parents. Do they have some boring hybrid Bangladeshi Bengali accent?

Indeed they do. My dad says I picked up the language of my mother's mother (that is, Feni), but I've heard her talk and I don't buy it.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 07:19:30 PM »

Bump.

Nonstop election coverage now. The Awami League should have this one in the bag.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2008, 07:25:23 PM »

Do they do polls in Bangladesh (not that they'd be reliable and worth anything, anyways)?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 12:52:25 AM »
« Edited: December 08, 2008, 01:00:01 AM by Attorney General Xahar »

Polls? Bangladesh? I hope not. The literacy rate is 47.5% and hardly anyone has access to a telephone. Any poll taken would skew about 60 points BNP.

Even if they did had polls, they'd be in Bengali (a language in which I'm unfortunately illiterate in).

On second thought, I wouldn't put it past the news organizations. I'll ask my dad if he can find any.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 04:05:45 PM »

While watching the Bangladeshi nightly news this morning, I heard that the Jatiya Party is ending its ties with the Awami League and going it alone. I wonder what effect this will have.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 04:08:07 PM »

While watching the Bangladeshi nightly news this morning, I heard that the Jatiya Party is ending its ties with the Awami League and going it alone. I wonder what effect this will have.

Do they win any seats?
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 04:09:51 PM »

Do they win any seats?

14 in 2001 and something like 8% of the vote. IIRC, they're all concentrated in one region.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 04:18:15 PM »

Yes, they're in the Ershad heartland of Rajshahi. Adam Carr has some nice maps on his website.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 04:20:59 PM »

Yes, they're in the Ershad heartland of Rajshahi. Adam Carr has some nice maps on his website.

That's where I saw them. Maybe ElectoralGeography. Can't remember. Or both.

Just downloaded a nifty little Excel file from Duke with the results by constituency.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 06:59:39 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2008, 07:02:23 PM by Attorney General Xahar »

Can you send it my way?

Jatiya owns Rangpur and Kurigram, to be precise.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies