What if the US switched the single 6-year term system? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:20:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  What if the US switched the single 6-year term system? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What if the US switched the single 6-year term system?  (Read 3698 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: November 24, 2008, 02:33:13 PM »

Like Philip supports and Mexico uses. Let's assume for simplicity's sake the Amendment establishing it is passed before 2000 so Bush becomes the first President under the new system. His term ends in 2006. Who would be the candidates and what would the map look like? I think it would be even worse for the GOP than the current map.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 10:59:12 PM »

Larry Sabato advocates something like this.  The President serves for 5 years, then decides whether he wants to pursue an extension.  If no, then the term ends at 6 years and a new presidential election is held with new candidates.  If yes, then the nation votes on an extension referendum.  Should the nation vote to grant the extension, the President serves another 3 years, making one total 8-year term.  If the nation votes against granting the extension, the President serves only 6 years, and a new presidential lection is held. 

The policy behind it is to give the administration time to work before entering re-election mode. 

Hmmm, I wonder how that would've worked with Bush. There is no way he would've gotten an extension.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 12:50:09 AM »

Recalls would never work on that wide of a level. If you want to be able to toss out unpopular governments ahead of schedule than you want a parliamentary system.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 09:31:37 PM »

I'm quite confident this would happen:

Sen. George Allen (R-VA)/Sen. John McCain (R-AZ)
Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-NY)/Fmr. Sen. John Edwards (D-NC)

Allen probably wins narrowly

OK...WTF?
This is 2006 when the 2006 election cycle began George Allen was the conservative darling likely to break 60% and the surefire 2008 nominee.  Granted he still should have been but that is the f'ed up society we live in

And he's still running in an insanely toxic environment for the GOP. McCain couldn't win, how could Allen?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies